Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 03:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,373,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Yes and you keep bringing up the same discredited arguments. Moderator cut: No insults You just keep poping up with the same old stuff.
I won't even dignify your statement with a response.
Like I said, arguements are made for both sides.

Old 06-18-2009, 08:53 AM

860 posts, read 2,055,924 times
This is what 90 degrees looked like in southeast Alaska up the Stikine river a week ago.

This was taken along that same section of the river the end of May several years ago.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:02 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
This is what 90 degrees looked like in southeast Alaska up the Stikine river a week ago.

This was taken along that same section of the river the end of May several years ago.
While that's interesting, they still had snow on the ground in much of northern North Dakota, Minnesota and Montana - and this just a few days ago.

In addition, we just turned out air conditioner on yesterday, which is unheard of for this part of the country at this time of the year.

And my daughter is at camp in Northern Minnesota right now. She said it's absolutely freezing cold and wet. Usually, at this time of the year, it's pretty nice.

So should I not conclude that the United States is cooler than usual - based on those three anecdotal observations? And if the answer is "NO!" (which I agree with), why do the Global Warming Zealots draw absolute conclusions based on equally anecdotal observations?

Old 06-18-2009, 10:55 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Your religion is Global Warming, and Global Warming is NOT science. It's mostly hype, and keeps changing all the time because earlier spin points keep proving themselves wrong.
Just bring the name on one reputable scientific professional association that agrees with you -- The U.S. National Academy of Sciences, the American Association for the Advancement of Science, the American Meteorological Society, the International Union for Quaternary Research, and the Joint Science Academies of the major industrialized and developing nations explicitly use the word "consensus" when referring to the conclusion that there is anthropogenic climate change and it poses a threat to our way of life. Those are religious organizations? At last count I think there were 50 scientific professional societies.

Now please before you "claim" that science is on your side, let's see some evidence. No Heartland Institute stuff, actual science.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:51 AM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
Quote:
My religion is science and the science in conclusive. Sorry if that upsets your Republican spin points.
Do you believe everyone who disagrees with you or the premise of GW is a Republican? It sure sounds that way.

It also shows how politics can take over science. And when it does, it is usually to increase the power of the politicos.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Now please before you "claim" that science is on your side, let's see some evidence. No Heartland Institute stuff, actual science.
Moderator cut: No flaming
Shoot, even the intelligent Global Warming people are admitting there is no consensus. Moderator cut: No flaming

http://www.climateaudit.org/
Roy Spencer, Ph. D.
Weakening in Gulf Stream will slow global warming; scientists - Science
CSIRO PUBLISHING - Publications of the Astronomical Society of Australia
Cooling coming | Herald Sun Andrew Bolt Blog

Last edited by vec101; 06-21-2009 at 06:19 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Actually the correlation between global climate change deniers and the Republican Party appears to be about 1.0. Of course many of you now claim to be "Independents." LOL
And the correlation between the Global Warming Worshipers and the Democrats is about 100%.

Tax all the people you decide are villains, and give each other more and more grants to keep putting your spin on the religion.

Bottom line: Follow the money trail. And the Religion of Global Warming is HUGE money right now!

Old 06-18-2009, 02:15 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,636 times
The scientific article you link to references work on the solar cycle. I'm left with a feeling of "so what." Yes there is a solar cycle, yes it is important in global temperature. Moderator cut: No flaming

Last edited by vec101; 06-21-2009 at 06:20 PM..

Old 06-18-2009, 03:36 PM

3,779 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post

Nice photos GrammasCabin. I also saw your set in the Alaska forum. But a photo set of a few years is not proof of anything other than that the weather differs from year to year.

If you have a photo of the Stikine valley in, say May 1400, then that would be interesting from a climate perspective.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:55 PM

3,779 posts, read 5,325,949 times
Omaha Rocks, rlchurch-

I think that we can safely agree that there has been global warming since the Little Ice Age of 1400-1800. And, yes, atmospheric CO2 levels have risen at the station on Mauna Loa in Hawaii, where they first documented the rise since, when?, 1959.

But other than that, there are scientists on BOTH sides of the issue. Most, however, seem to take the middle ground: we are not sure how much humans have caused the changes currently being seen.

Years ago, I talked with Dr. Sherwood Idso of the U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory in Phoenix, Arizona. I was writing a paper on the energy balance of trees and needed some information from him. He believed that the increasing CO2 levels would cause plants to become more productive, which would ameliorate the issue to a great extent. Thus, as a private citizen scientist, he did not believe that global warming was that big of an issue. But, as director of a U.S. gov't agency, he probably could not make that an official policy statement of his laboratory.

This arguing back and forth is useless.
No one can prove humans have been the major factor in the warming of the globe since the Little Ice Age.
No one can prove that humans have not been a major factor. But it is less likely.
Ever seen a volcanic eruption? Those are major factors!

The problem is that climate is looooonnnnggggg term, and we are only recently measuring things. Really, 1959 is just yesterday in geological/climatological time. Give me some data from 1400.

Last edited by Teak; 06-18-2009 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living