Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 05:55 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times

Advertisements

This report is on Storm-X, the Agricultural Climate and Weather indicator that farmers and ranchers use for their weather and climate change planning, planting, and harvesting. For those whose minds are still open to the whole, non-politically-motivated input of everything that affects crops and weather, from sunspots, through the hot water that is poured into the ocean everyday from deep underwater "mountains" to this year's glacial lack of melting, this might be interesting:

StormX :: Global Cooling : The Sun’s Influence on ENSO, Is There a Connection? (http://www.stormx.com/globalwarming/global-cooling/2009/05/the-suns-influence-on-enso-is-there-a-connection/ - broken link)

Gardeners are well advised to take heed of the monthly reports and other graphs, charts, and indicators on this site. They are never wrong; it's actually a little creepy how right they are about crop production due to weathers. This site is also used by those who are involved in the commodities' market.

Disclaimer: I am in NO way associated with this site. I use it to figure what I can grow where and when, as well as to watch market shifts so I can see what will rise in price in the next few months and what I had better stock up on!

Last edited by SCGranny; 06-17-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 06-17-2009, 06:14 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
I feel like Im in The Spanish inquisition....almighty hand of Gore will strike me dead....:-(
Well let's give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you simply just don't get it. Here's a reminder from moderator Vec101

"Global Warming Catch-All Thread"

Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 AM

3,778 posts, read 5,324,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
This report is on Storm-X, the Agricultural Climate and Weather indicator that farmers and ranchers use for their weather and climate change planning, planting, and harvesting. For those whose minds are still open to the whole, non-politically-motivated input of everything that affects crops and weather, from sunspots, through the hot water that is poured into the ocean everyday from deep underwater "mountains" to this year's glacial lack of melting, this might be interesting:

StormX :: Global Cooling : The Sun’s Influence on ENSO, Is There a Connection? (http://www.stormx.com/globalwarming/global-cooling/2009/05/the-suns-influence-on-enso-is-there-a-connection/ - broken link)
Interesting charts and it clearly shows the El Nino effect (ENSO) which is revealed the most in the water temperatures off Ecuador (northwest coast of South America). The difference in temperature there is the greatest: from the colors it looks to be a 1.5F difference overall, from a +0.75F during the heavy sunspot period to -0.75F during the lower sunspot period.

That humans have caused some changes in the earth's climate is indisputable, but the degree to which the changes are human-caused versus natural cycles is the difficult thing to measure.

A bunch of scientists claim that the earth began to cool in 1998 and this current ENSO shift would seem to support that claim.

Last edited by Teak; 06-17-2009 at 06:25 AM.. Reason: spelling correction

Old 06-17-2009, 06:52 AM

2,255 posts, read 5,396,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Interesting charts and it clearly shows the El Nino effect (ENSO) which is revealed the most in the water temperatures off Ecuador (northwest coast of South America). The difference in temperature there is the greatest: from the colors it looks to be a 1.5F difference overall, from a +0.75F during the heavy sunspot period to -0.75F during the lower sunspot period.

That humans have caused some changes in the earth's climate is indisputable, but the degree to which the changes are human-caused versus natural cycles is the difficult thing to measure.

A bunch of scientists claim that the earth began to cool in 1998 and this current ENSO shift would seem to support that claim.
I don't really think they are quite sure anymore what to call or lable it. There are so many variables involved. But no doubt mankind is ruining his own environment and at a quickening pace.

Viktor Schauberger stated that Global change and the environment going down hill for him started back around the time of World War I. No doubt that is true. I had a post down in the Religion section in a thread dealing weather or not Christians are to blame for the environmental damages. I posted some pics of the Cedars of Lebanon and what is left of them in one particular area and it's former range. The deforestation started with the Ottoman Empire who cut it down for fuel wood for running their industry and railroads with no thought of reforestation to replace what had been lost. In the photos in my post you'll see the small wooded area of all that is left with a large stone wall built around the remnants of a massive forest that once in all those surrounding mountains about a century ago. They still have to post guards to keep people from cutting more wood. This documentary also appeared on CNN Europe here a couple months ago. Anyway here's the link.

Cedars of Lebanon almost gone!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vec101 View Post
We can go round and round discussing that - oh wait, we already did - in posts a couple months ago.
Yes and you keep bringing up the same discredited arguments. Moderator cut: No insults You just keep poping up with the same old stuff.

Last edited by vec101; 06-17-2009 at 03:45 PM..

Old 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,064,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Then you leave off al-Gore's assertions and the IPCC as we all know are politicians masquerading as scientists.
Just a recognized scientific professional society would be of interest.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:

LOL

WHAT farmers?

There are no REAL farmers who consult some self-acclaimed expert website before doing their planting and harvesting. That's just absurd!

Old 06-17-2009, 07:56 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,639 times
I know fer sure that North Dakota - which is where I got the initial reference from - wheat farmers and co-ops use this site's information.

It's like a high-tech Farmer's Almanac - that shows potentials and forecasts of changes and impacts.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:20 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
I know fer sure that North Dakota - which is where I got the initial reference from - wheat farmers and co-ops use this site's information.

It's like a high-tech Farmer's Almanac - that shows potentials and forecasts of changes and impacts.
What decisions do they make, based on what this website provides? Do they change the hybrids they're going to plant? Plant at different times? And no farmer is going to NOT go out and harvest his crops, when they're ready to be harvested and it's perfect weather, just because some website indicates that maybe they should wait.

Farmers make decisions regarding what seed to plant, based on area test plots from previous years - and proven yield results of certain hybrids in their own particular fields. They also spend a lot of time talking to other farmers in the area, because what worked well for some guy in Indiana may not work so well in Minnesota. Then, when it's time to harvest, and the weather is good, farmers harvest.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:42 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,217,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Just a recognized scientific professional society would be of interest.
Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living