Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:29 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,571,992 times

Advertisements

Really? Monsanto knew for a fact ahead of time that it was carcinogenic and would leave them open to lawsuits down the road and did it anyway? Sounds like really bad business to me. Where did you get this fact? Can you post a cite to it?

Old 07-08-2012, 06:35 PM

102,430 posts, read 108,796,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Really? Monsanto knew for a fact ahead of time that it was carcinogenic and would leave them open to lawsuits down the road and did it anyway? Sounds like really bad business to me. Where did you get this fact? Can you post a cite to it?
I read this years ago. They'd tested it before marketing it and saw that it was carcinogenic. I'll see if I can find something on this, or you can try Googling it. You know how after years, the teflon coating on pots and pans tends to wear thin? On cheaper ware it can go completely through to the metal. It means little by little over time, you're eating that coating. It gets released into the food you cook in it, too.

Here's something about DuPont getting sued for marketing Teflon:
www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12885 I can't tell offhand if DuPont and Monsanto are related, or if they're rival companies. They're both embroiled in controversies regarding GMO seeds and related products, RoundUp Ready crops, etc.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 07-08-2012 at 06:47 PM..

Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,658,035 times
Sounds like it was in something like the National Enquirer. You KNOW if it's in there it HAS to be true! lol

Old 07-08-2012, 10:17 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,571,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I read this years ago. They'd tested it before marketing it and saw that it was carcinogenic. I'll see if I can find something on this, or you can try Googling it. You know how after years, the teflon coating on pots and pans tends to wear thin? On cheaper ware it can go completely through to the metal. It means little by little over time, you're eating that coating. It gets released into the food you cook in it, too.

Here's something about DuPont getting sued for marketing Teflon:
www.corpwatch.org/article.php?id=12885 I can't tell offhand if DuPont and Monsanto are related, or if they're rival companies. They're both embroiled in controversies regarding GMO seeds and related products, RoundUp Ready crops, etc.
From the site you linked to:

The EPA is continuing its risk assessment process for PFOA. In a draft report released in June, the majority of members on a scientific advisory board that reviewed the EPA's draft risk assessment concluded that the chemical is "likely" to be carcinogenic to humans. That finding went beyond the EPA's own determination that there was only "suggestive evidence" from animal studies that perfluorooctanoic acid and its salts are potential human carcinogens.

Which is to say that even the EPA, that fined them, doesn't know for sure yet if there's a real risk.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:48 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,760,833 times
I'm trying to think of a new and more apt name for Monsanto. How about one of these:

Carcinanto?

Montumor?

Malignanto?

Old 07-09-2012, 10:59 AM

I just figured out what's going on on these Monsanto threads, gang. There are paid shills for Monsanto on these threads. Best to put them on "ignore" so we can have a normal conversation. It looks like everyone's pretty much fled the combat zone, though.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM

I will say this, when I think of Monsanto, I think toxins.

Quote:
I just figured out what's going on on these Monsanto threads, gang. There are paid shills for Monsanto on these threads. Best to put them on "ignore" so we can have a normal conversation. It looks like everyone's pretty much fled the combat zone, though.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:03 PM

Monsanto appears to operate by strategically placing their people and people favorable to them in highly influential positions. As the OP states, they've put Michael Taylor in the FDA. They also have Jeffrey Sachs, an internationally known economist and one who claims to be environmentally-oriented, heading up a food project at the UN. They'd hoped he'd get appointed to head up the World Bank, but fortunately, things didn't work out as they and Sachs had hoped. Their m.o. is insidious.

Old 07-09-2012, 01:04 PM

Monsanto, like all other giant corporations, has only one thing in mind: making more and more profits at any cost. If they have to poison entire countries to get there, then so be it!

Quote:
Monsanto appears to operate by strategically placing their people and people favorable to them in highly influential positions. As the OP states, they've put Michael Taylor in the FDA. They also have Jeffrey Sachs, an internationally known economist and one who claims to be environmentally-oriented, heading up a food project at the UN. They'd hoped he'd get appointed to head up the World Bank, but fortunately, things didn't work out as they and Sachs had hoped. Their m.o. is insidious.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:35 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,394,067 times
Quote:
Bull$hit.

What you have here is 2 or 3 people who actually know a thing or two about agriculture, and we get really sick of all this ignorant blathering about Monsanto/Satan.

It's stupid, really. But have at it. No amount of truth is going to change your minds anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living