Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2010, 09:22 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,381,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhZone View Post
What's wrong with it?
It is a just another way of subjugating women to the role of being Property.
Will they next buy and sell them?

Why do men think that they are so special that they should have the favors of more than one woman?
Most of them cannot handle one.
Its not that at all.

You do know that some women want to be in polygamous relationships right? Women of the age of consent and adulthood, who can legally make their own decisions, shouldn't be forced to live in what the rest of society accepts as normal.

No one is saying that young girls should be forced into marriage, or that any grown woman be forced into one for that matter. However, if they accept that of their own free will, and want it, who is society to say no?

Last I checked, this was still supposed to be the land of the free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2010, 12:13 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,770,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?
So long as a Person pretends there is no Theistic Personal Creator , anything is permissible for him/her to engage in and there really is nothing that is immoral or wrong...for, it is only ones opinion . This popular philosophy of today whereby one simply suppresses the existence of God and ones moral conscience is very liberating because it eliminates any roadblocks to complete indulgence . Its quite convenient to ones chosen lifestyle...however in the final analysis , it all suddenly comes crashing down . Then One feels utter regret for having willfully duped himself as eternity is faced. (Been going on for many centuries now ; its always better to live by Gods moral mandates for our own good and to live FOR him whilst there is still time. No one will regret doing so) .

Old 07-19-2010, 03:55 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,032,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
So long as a Person pretends there is no Theistic Personal Creator , anything is permissible for him/her to engage in and there really is nothing that is immoral or wrong...for, it is only ones opinion . This popular philosophy of today whereby one simply suppresses the existence of God and ones moral conscience is very liberating because it eliminates any roadblocks to complete indulgence . Its quite convenient to ones chosen lifestyle...however in the final analysis , it all suddenly comes crashing down . Then One feels utter regret for having willfully duped himself as eternity is faced. (Been going on for many centuries now ; its always better to live by Gods moral mandates for our own good and to live FOR him whilst there is still time. No one will regret doing so) .
One thing I believe; A person can't argue with religion. Religion can be bent and molded to fit just about any need. Look at those clowns who flew planes into the World Trade Center. And all for the promise of God delivering 40 virgins.

I go by the philosophy that I will do anything and everything to make my life more pleasant and enjoyable, but I won't do it at the expense of anyone else. Consequently, I have smoked cheap cigars, drank cheap wine, and chased cheap women, and on occasion, cussed. Will I regret any of this? Well, if I am lying on my deathbed and with my last dying breath it suddenly dawns on my that I have lived improperly and therefore feel regret, well, that'll be okay. If the price for having 50 years of fun and hijinx comes in the form of 10 seconds of regret, I'll gladly pay that price. Even God would.

Old 07-25-2010, 06:13 PM

2,919 posts, read 2,580,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now tell me why someone would want to multiply like a rabbits ???

Especially in our economic times. Babies and children are NOT trophies to be collected annually so that a man can boast how manly or fatherly he is. Babies and children are humans that have to be taken care of 24 hours a day seven days a week year in and year out. They have to be fed, clothes, cared for, they get sick, they grow and need new clothes and more provisions. In short they are very real responsibilities. Is the man going to stay up all night with four collicky babies? Is he going to take turns feeding and burping his four babies? How often is he going to change those three or four toddlers dirty diapers to give the moms a break? Is he going to set up four high chairs and feed them while the mothers go grocery shopping, clothes shopping, doing laundry?

The babies primary care-takers (mothers) are humans that have needs, wants, get sick, need various provisions, and so forth. Is he going to be there for all three or four women when they need his INDIVIDUAL attention not just sex? Whenever I see a man promoting polygamy on message boards the one thing I never, ever see him mention is the practical side of having multiple women and children. These men only see it from the "sexual fantasy aspect" and "look at how many women I can get pregnant and how many children I created notches-on- my-belt" perspective. Thank God most men in our society don't think this way.

I'm also glad that females in our society are educated. Smart-thinking men and women SHOULD never ever allow the legalization of polygamy regardless of how many patriarchs in the bible were polygamists. If a man in our day and age is going to use biblical partriarchs as his role model then he is open to committing murder and being a slave owner too because the majority of the patriarchs have done both at some point or throughout their lives.

Old 07-25-2010, 07:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It no longer really matters whether a domestic relationship is certified by a formal marriage or not. So a man can live with multiple partners in wife-like relationships (it's called shacking up) and there is nothing anybody can do about it. So the question is really moot. I don't think, within the mainstream American culture, there are very many households that are doing that, but I don't look in through the windows at other people's business, so what do I know?

I don't see anything wrong with formalizing it into a lawful domestic partnership, however I think there ought to be a divorce law provision that any wife who sours on the idea can walk out with a minimum of judicial paperwork.
This depends on what you call "mainstream culture". I taught in a poor urban city.... and had so many kids who were born out of marriage with parents living together, and/or with half-siblings either in the house or withing a block or two away..... it was just like seeing a "polygamist" family -- just not all under the same roof at the same time, but all in close touch. Very bizarre to me, not bizarre to them ( What can I say? I'm married to the same man my entire life and we have kids in their 30s).

I don't think you need a partnership or formalizatation at all. If marriage has no meaning, there is no need for divorce. Granted, I was in a poor area and most people got some govt. benefits... so why would they need paperwork to leave? Cripe, leaving only increased the ability to get more benefits.

Old 07-29-2010, 07:14 AM

429 posts, read 931,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Babies and children are humans that have to be taken care of 24 hours a day seven days a week year in and year out . . . The babies primary care-takers (mothers) are humans that have needs, wants, get sick, need various provisions, and so forth . . .
Your post makes little sense to me. Why would multiple adults have any harder time taking care of each other and children than just two adults? Why are you talking about it as (1) there would necessarily be only one man involved, and (2) it's only the man's responsibility to take care of others??

Old 07-29-2010, 07:36 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
And I know that Polyandry marriages exist as well. In Africa, its quite common.
If you're talking about 1 man with several wives with several children from each wife, that's a recipe for a welfare society from a financial standpoint.

Hey, I wouldn't mind having 4 wives sometimes. When one needs a break, jump to the next one, then the next two at the same time.

Then using my big head to think, reality sets in... first of all 4 women together in the same house. And with all the kids running around from different women and the same man. From a societal & evolutionary standpoint, that's just asking to start a war.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-29-2010 at 11:30 AM.. Reason: Deleted off-topic comments

Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,546,726 times
  1. Marriage is about commitment to another to form a lasting partnership.
  2. Polygamy is a male-dominated throw back to times when women were chattel, given to their husbands by their fathers.
A man may find women ignorant enough, or lacking in self-esteem to think it might be a good idea, but that doesn't make it a sound choice for healthy society.

Old 07-29-2010, 08:43 AM

429 posts, read 931,589 times
Folks, polygamy doesn't only refer to polygyny, which is one man with multiple wives. It also includes polyandry, which is one woman with multiple husbands and group marriage, which is multiple partners of both genders.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:25 PM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
If you are just asking for opinion, not based on any kind of data, men who want more than one wife have to be crazy. To me it just multiplies and intensifies the nagging, the conflicts and the stress of marriage. Also, can you imagine what a pain in the ass it would be to complete official forms like a tax return, for example.

If the man dies without a will, what's the line of inheritance? Who gets his benefits? Who is your next of kin? Who is allowed to make life and death decisions? Who is on the joint checking account? Who do you take to the annual Christmas party when the boss is paying? Do friends have to invite all of you to their wedding?

If one wife wants to leave, can she sue everybody for support? If she's the stay-at-home wife and you are the working wife are you going to pay her to be home with her kids?

What if you are Wife Number 1 and then he marries Wives 2, 3 and 4 and you only want one or two kids but so does Wives 2, 3 and 4?

Considering the biggest headaches in marriage are usually related to money, I see big trouble with polygamy.

Does this dress make me look fat? Does this dress make me look fatter than Wife Number 2? UGH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates