Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2010, 07:04 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

It is when you consider the cost of living--it takes two incomes, they say, in today's world to make a living. I've always been fine with one, personally, but I don't live "high on the hog". I don't even own a car, for example.

So...two men could work, and the woman could stay home.

I'm not saying I agree with the concept for myself--in fact, I strongly prefer monogamous, exclusive relationships. I don't even like people who would date more than one person at a time. But if it floats someone else's boat, then perhaps that's right for THEM. Just not for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 07:08 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It is when you consider the cost of living--it takes two incomes, they say, in today's world to make a living. I've always been fine with one, personally, but I don't live "high on the hog". I don't even own a car, for example.

So...two men could work, and the woman could stay home.

I'm not saying I agree with the concept for myself--in fact, I strongly prefer monogamous, exclusive relationships. I don't even like people who would date more than one person at a time. But if it floats someone else's boat, then perhaps that's right for THEM. Just not for me.
Actually, this sounds a heckuva lot like what the Mexicans who move to the US do. About 15 of them will move into a house, and all the adults will work their lovin' butts off to not only make ends meet, but to get ahead. Almost a communal living sort of arrangement.

Old 05-28-2010, 07:32 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
.there may be concentual relations at the onset, but those poor children you would rear have NO CHOICE in what you are FORCING upon them. . . . .Oh, that's right you would be one of those who would expect the tax payers to support your lazy ass polygamy ways wouldn't you.
Please explain how the children in a monogamous household DO have a choice in the domestic arrangements and upbringing that they are faced with. Good thing we have only monogamous families in this country, so we don't have any lazyass people expecting taxpayers to support them.

Why do you think a woman who agrees to enter into a polygamous relationship would choose a lazyass bum on welfare, instead of a man wealthy enough to support his wives and children in style? What is it about women that makes them so easy for jerks to sweep them off their feet? And now you say that even if a guy already has a couple of wives living in slavery and on welfare and forcing abuse on his children, a woman still can't resist the temptation to join the dysfunctional harem?

At least, polygamy would give you some warning signs before you marry an Moderator cut: language. Why would that not be a good thing?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-28-2010 at 06:06 PM..

Old 05-28-2010, 08:12 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,691,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
David Karesh's goal was religious in nature, and, if it didn't involve under age girls, was perfectly legal, your point?

And what you think, is wrong. We were never biologically designed to be monogamous. A study of other great apes, will show you that the larger the expected male breeding pool with one lady, the large the size of the males testicles. Meaning, that if you think you're lady is fooling around, the more sperm you produce.

We have a medium size, Gorillas (who do mate for life, and one male does most of the mating) have the smallest, and Chimps, whose females will have multiple partners constantly, have huge testicles for their size.
I never thought of a man as a "great ape". Sorry. Do the size of the male testicles really have anything to do with the amount of sperm he produces? I've never heard that before.

You must really think of yourself as 'hung' and virile to assert such nonsense. If that was so, a satisfied male would have normal sized testicles, and a jealous male's testicles would grow due to his insecurity. Ok, whatever you say.

And the fact that David Karesh, et al were/are religious in nature doesn't remove the fact that they are polygamistic in the largest sense. It all boils down to the male ego. Some of them get off on having control over multiple women. Plain and simple.

Quote:
I look at it this way. With a 3 adult household, where two adults work, and one stays at home, you can gain more ground. We are already in a world where stay at home moms are scarce to non existent. Yet, its better for children to have one, wouldn't you agree?
There we go with "I think" again...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979
So, a polygyny relationship would answer that problem. A man, and one of his wives could work. While one wife stays home, and raises the family.
It's called get a babysitter.
Quote:
And some women, not all, don't want to work outside of the home. Regardless of what some people here may actually believe. And yes, you can hire a sitter, or a nanny, or whatever, but they cost money to.
So do two wives and 6 children.
Quote:
Now, in a polyandry relationship, you could have two men outside the home working, while the wife stays home to tend to things there. While that may work for some, its not for me. And, as I said before, if you'd like to have several children, lets say 6, it would be easier to do that in a polygyny relationship, imo.
There's that thinking thing again..

You actually think women should feel good about sharing you as a husband, but you wouldn't share a wife with another man???? You aren't hypocritical now, are you?

Your way of thinking is just lazy and cheap, not practical at all. IMO

Old 05-28-2010, 08:14 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,666,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Do the size of the male testicles really have anything to do with the amount of sperm he produces? I've never heard that before.

You must really think of yourself as 'hung' and virile to assert such nonsense. If that was so, a satisfied male would have normal sized testicles, and a jealous male's testicles would grow due to his insecurity. Ok, whatever you say.
I never knew that a giant scro*tum means a guy thinks "his woman" is having sex with somebody else. I just assumed it meant there was something wrong with the guy's scro*tum. (By the way, why the heck is scro*tum a censored word?)

Old 05-28-2010, 08:24 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,210,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Now tell me why someone would want to multiply like a rabbits ???
Because you get more welfare money that way.

Quote:
It doesn't matter why, it matters if its legal.
Wrong. The topic here isn't "is polygamy legal." It's why we think it's right or wrong.

Quote:
Large families are normal, it happens today in America. Whats you're problem with that.
You have a curious definition of "large family," but that aside, MY problem with that is people doing it who don't have the means to properly take care of such a family (financially, emotionally, whatever).

Quote:
It boils down to this. You may not like polygamy for you, thats fine. However, why would you want to stop someone else from doing it.
Because it invites abusive situations to say the least, makes a sham of the family unit, and is generally unworkable, at least in our time and culture.

Quote:
Otherwise, your just speaking opinion, which isn't debate.
I agree with not just saying "I don't like it," but debate typically does indeed have opinion in it FYI. It's not all cut and dry hard cold facts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocytus View Post
My HO is that involving multiple people (of any sex) in a relationship is recipe for exploitation and insecurity.
While polygamy may have been a workable solution for women before they gained economic freedom from men, it makes little sense,IMHO,for a modern woman to suborn her interests to the interests on a larger group.
And given that jealousy and insecurity are serious issues in more traditional relationships, why would anybody enter into a polygamous relationship not believing that they would be serious issues there as well?
Stupidity, mostly.

Someone gets it; thank you.

Quote:
I would argue that anyone making under 100,000 a year at this point, isn't financially independent.
LOL

Thanks, I nearly spit coffee all over my keyboard.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,931,688 times
Today we live in a no boundary society anything goes,no worse than living together,not much respect for life or anything else.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:56 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Please explain how the children in a monogamous household DO have a choice in the domestic arrangements and upbringing that they are faced with. Good thing we have only monogamous families in this country, so we don't have any lazyass people expecting taxpayers to support them.

Why do you think a woman who agrees to enter into a polygamous relationship would choose a lazyass bum on welfare, instead of a man wealthy enough to support his wives and children in style? What is it about women that makes them so easy for jerks to sweep them off their feet? And now you say that even if a guy already has a couple of wives living in slavery and on welfare and forcing abuse on his children, a woman still can't resist the temptation to join the dysfunctional harem?

At least, polygamy would give you some warning signs before you marry an assshole. Why would that not be a good thing?
Well, there is that guy in Australia living with multiple wives on the public dole....

Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
Today we live in a no boundary society anything goes,no worse than living together,not much respect for life or anything else.
Why do you think that a man and a woman who choose to live their own private lives together for their own mutual benefit, without asking first for your and your pastor's approval, have no "respect for life or anything else"?

Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,066 times
Quote:

Here we go with this "I think" thing again. This is a debate, not a popularity contest.

Please post all answers in debate form, not "I think". Give examples of why this is bad. As others, and the OP have said, please don't bring up Mormon polygamy, as you see on TV with 12 and 13 year old girls, no one supports that. We are talking about grown adults making up their own minds, and doing what they want.

Otherwise, your just speaking opinion, which isn't debate.
Actually, a debate IS about people's opinions. But of course, I wouldn't expect someone who touts polygamy would understand that. Also, you are not the OP. The OP never said specifically how he wished for others to respond. So, that gives you no right to dictate how another person should write in a thread that was NOT created by you. I'll type "I think" or give my opinions when I d$mn want to.

I have to go to work, so I'll fuss at you later with my OPINIONS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates