Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 10:18 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Good question and I am not sure I can give a good answer. I will say that from what I have seen polygamy is bad. From cases I have seen on the news, usually an abusive domineering male just wants submissive women who will act as his harem. That may not always be the case but it seems to be what is presented.
It's probably what is presented on the news because it's shocking. The news chooses the abusive situation because it's news-worthy and catches the interest of viewers/readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 10:20 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
The guy probably told his wives that they were happy,whether they liked it or not.

If he's 'old country muslim',it's an accepted way of life and has been for hundreds of years.

I can see a few advantages.

1) you don't have to cook every meal

2) no reason to feel guilty if you have a headache

3) more people to clean and do laundry

4) built in critter sitter

5) getting to watch your husband fry his brain trying to remember birthdays and anniversaries.

I'm just saying........
I'm in a polyamorous relationship and somehow I still get stuck with all the cleaning. No fair! :P

Old 10-01-2010, 11:02 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,181,158 times
What's so wrong with gay marriage?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:48 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,390,383 times
I don't see anything wrong with it, except when old men marry teenagers. That is sick and wrong. I think that polyamory would be great, I could definitely enjoy several husbands.

Old 10-02-2010, 11:05 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,946,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
There's obviously a lot of abuse going on here. I can tell you all sorts of awful stories of abusive spouses and murderous spouses and cheaters and people who poisoned their spouse too. Should we use abusive marriages as the example for monogamous marriage and thereby declare monogamous marriage immoral?

There are healthy polyamorous relationships. I know cause I'm in one. All three of us are very happy. One of the three of us is considering dating to have another girlfriend, and the other two of us are totally fine with it. We discuss our feelings and make sure we're all on the same page. Sure, we have our arguments just like anyone else, but I would argue our relationship is actually much healthier than a lot of monogamous heterosexuals. How healthy or abusive a relationship is doesn't have to do with whether it's monogamous or polygamous, it has to do with the people in it.
are you a sister wife

Old 10-03-2010, 02:28 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,557,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalileoSmith View Post
What's so wrong with polygamy if all the partners are adult and consent to it? Yes it's illegal, but on moral grounds, what makes it so wrong?
I think what "makes" it wrong is what society dictates what is right or wrong, not necessarily the situation itself. I am not saying that polygamy may not have drawbacks. There does not seem to be a perfect system in life. However, people should have the right to live life as they wish, not dictated by others as long as there is no harm to others what consenting adults do, take care.

Old 10-04-2010, 03:05 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,839,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelabeurman View Post
the guy probably told his wives that they were happy,whether they liked it or not.

If he's 'old country muslim',it's an accepted way of life and has been for hundreds of years.

I can see a few advantages.

1) you don't have to cook every meal

2) no reason to feel guilty if you have a headache

3) more people to clean and do laundry

4) built in critter sitter

5) getting to watch your husband fry his brain trying to remember birthdays and anniversaries.

I'm just saying........
lmao!

Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,984,260 times
The way polygamy is practiced by the majority who believe in it is disgusting. If there were federal inspection of schools so that little girls were not brainwashed into thinking their highest calling as women is as brood sows, it might be more acceptable. If those communities did not operate as armed camps, their police force acting as a Gestapo to keep other free citizens out and prevent girls from escaping, maybe it would be more acceptable. If one man did not have multiple wives, using them to spawn a huge brood and have most of them go on welfare, maybe I would consider it. I am not a psychologist and cannot comment on how screwed up the children of such matings are affected, but I would much prefer being the special child of a small gay family than only one child out of a crowd in some of these Moron marriages.

Sure, the philosophical concept of consenting adults is fine, but the way it is currently practiced is disgusting, a drag on society, and more prone to psychological scarring of young minds who do not choose such an arrangement and cannot escape it.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:54 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,872,981 times
What's so wrong with polygamy"

The difficulty in finding 6 or 7 really good women and getting all of them to agree to marry me.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:00 AM

421 posts, read 449,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Just another example of the government trying to legislate moraility. What makes the government think it has the right to intervene with marriage? Marriage is between people, not between people and the government.
The law reflects a historic need for women to be financially supported and children to be looked after. Perhaps it serves little purpose now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates