Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 05:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,787,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheYear3000 View Post
If we can set aside the religious beliefs on this, is our life ours to do with as we wish? One instance where our lives aren't really our own is when we have young children we have brought into the world and therefore are responsible for their care. Are we also responsible for the care of elderly parents? What about if children are grown and parents have already passed on, then do we have the right? What about someone who has terminal cancer or is in a lot of physical pain that cannot be eased?

Non-attacking thoughts on this?
We have no right at all to take our own lives because we dont belong to ourselves...but rather, the Creator who knit us together in our mothers womb. We have no right to take any other human beings life either including the seperate life that forms in a mothers womb (willful abortion) . Adult Human Beings often acquire a strong sense of entitlement which stems from pride, arrogance, fear, inconvenience, etc.... which they are undeserving of .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 AM

62,057 posts, read 87,760,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
We have no right at all to take our own lives because we dont belong to ourselves...but rather, the Creator who knit us together in our mothers womb. We have no right to take any other human beings life either including the seperate life that forms in a mothers womb (willful abortion) . Adult Human Beings often acquire a strong sense of entitlement which stems from pride, arrogance, fear, inconvenience, etc.... which they are undeserving of .
Oh, boy.....

Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,422,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There is no law aginst taking your own life.They do not hold you in a mental ward if your only thing is you tried to committt suicide.
Not true at all, at least not in the state of Fla. If one attempts suicide they will be Baker Acted, iow committed to a mental hospital for a period of 36 hrs for evaluation, the Dr. can decide to release you after or keep you. It is not legal to hurt yourself or others and you will be institutionalized if you attempt either.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:22 AM

122 posts, read 331,442 times
it's amazing how suicide is so stigmatized, but homicide is not.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:17 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,095,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werone View Post
Yes you have the right if you are selfish and a hermit. No you do not have the right if you are responsible, committed and loyal. When you kill yourself you affect your community, and quite frankly it is a cowardly and selfish act. Be proud and figure out your problems... if you are sick then that decision is with you and your family.
If I commit suicide in the privacy of my home, how is the community around me affected?

My employer loses me? I am expendable and easily replaced. My work is meaningless. My family? What makes you think I have a family and if I did, what makes you think they care? Not everyone has a family or someone who loves them.

Old 03-22-2010, 08:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,206,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
. Adult Human Beings often acquire a strong sense of entitlement which stems from pride, arrogance, fear, inconvenience, etc.... which they are undeserving of .
Pride, arrogance and fear are the three most powerful attributes that have led Adult Human Beings to the false but comforting notion that there is a God who has given humans a strong sense of entitlement about their own importance in the universe, which they are undeserving of.

Be careful how you use words to castigate others, when they apply so perfectly to yourself.

Last edited by jtur88; 03-22-2010 at 08:50 AM..

Old 03-22-2010, 08:55 AM

768 posts, read 1,090,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Since there is no law against it; I imagine so. Never heard of a person going to jail that failed.
The OP did not ask if there was a law against it. The question was, do you have the right to take your own life? When we make all our ethical decisions based on the legality or illegality of something we are on a slippery slope as in some cultures, cannibalism is legal. What would some of you posters do if you didn't have the law telling you how to live your lives?

Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,493,363 times
It really don't matter if it's right or wrong. It's your life. Of all the choices being stripped from us today this is the one right that nobody can ever take away, your right to live or die. Nobody knows the pain another may be going through merely by existing. I do not support suicide, but I do not judge anyone who made the final decision to end their life. To each's own.
Also I think many or these weeping family members left behind need to use their experience to educate others on the warning signs that were there but so chose to ignore.
If you lose a friend to suicide you should ask yourself why your sad about the loss. Is it because you did not help the person? Is it because you will miss how the person made you feel about yourself? Most times it may be your own conscience making you grieve. I think it's more selfish to want to see a loved one continue in a state of misery.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM

768 posts, read 1,090,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc76 View Post
It really don't matter if it's right or wrong. It's your life. Of all the choices being stripped from us today this is the one right that nobody can ever take away, your right to live or die. Nobody knows the pain another may be going through merely by existing. I think it's more selfish to want to see a loved one continue in a state of misery.
That is an interesting perspective. Thanks for sharing.

Old 03-22-2010, 01:21 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,018,260 times
Who is "we"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates