Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 PM

26 posts, read 22,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Right.

I'm not sure why the OP started this thread, but the entire premise is rather inane. To say that there is not racism and/or homophobia and/or political problems in Brazil is just asinine.

Wherever you have people you will have these problems. Even in extremely impoverished countries you still have these problems. People are people.
As if Brazil doesn't have its problems and a far greater disparity between rich and poor, despite being such a strong economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones100 View Post
As if Brazil doesn't have its problems and a far greater disparity between rich and poor, despite being such a strong economy.
I'm thinking that the OP is just a rich kid who has had the luxury of being a Rio playboy, and relatively disconnected from any of the real problems in Brazil.

Old 11-29-2009, 09:42 PM

26 posts, read 22,827 times
Quote:
I'm thinking that the OP is just a rich kid who has had the luxury of being a Rio playboy, and relatively disconnected from any of the real problems in Brazil.
Funnily enough, I'm thinking the exact same thing.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:17 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Apparently you're not able to keep track of all the stupid comments you make. Perhaps you should consider cutting down on making them.

It's pretty obvious that you're doing your typical thing - trolling threads and trying to start fights.
Since your post that I responded to, you posted eight more replies to CD. Five of them were nothing but bashes insulting the poster.

Thank your for assemblng my recent relevant posts on the topic you addressed, which proved that you were wrong, and all I did was ask the poster if he had any actual knowledge of life in Brazil.

Old 11-29-2009, 10:18 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times
they do have good Nuts down there. Named the Country after them I do believe.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:52 AM

341 posts, read 678,760 times
[quote]
Quote:
Americans can afford the luxury of racism, because economic problems do not take priority here.
It is statements like these that lead me to believe that jtur88 lives in some kind of bubble. "Economic problems do not take priority here"... Are you serious!!! I'll let you in on a little secret: We live in a capitalist society where the struggle for money, property, and prestige are the reasons why the majority of Americans get out of bed in the morning. Also, in case you are not aware, the US is suffering the worst economic depression that it has endured since the 1930's and this seems to be "take(ing) priority" as of late.

It is cool to be an idealist, jtur88, but not to the point of absurdity; not to the point where you start distorting the truth.

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you been in Brazil? Have you even watched a Brazilian movie?
Have you ever been to Brazil? Well I have, and I can tell you that the human condition and all of the things that go along with it: adversity, racism, social stratification, etc. are alive and well there; just as they are anywhere else on the planet.

To bring you back down to earth, jtur88, I would suggest you watch a Brazilian documentary called "Manda Bala." It deals with the problems of corruption, racism, and class warfare, as seen through the eyes of Brazilians.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:12 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
I think you don't understood what I wrote.
Yes we have many problems in Rio, but we (brazilian people) are not concerned with this issues all the time. We just talk(slightly) about it.
We prefer to enjoy others best life's things: Beach, Sun, Nature, Friends, Women, Soccer and many, many others.
.................................................. .................................................

Well, if this is what you meant I think I am even less impressed. What I hear you saying is that racism, poverty, and crime may exist in Rio de Janeiro and elsewhere, but why be bothered?

Would you put the blaze out if your house caught on fire?

Yes, we white Anglo-Saxons do worry quite a bit about the issues of our day and sometimes I think we get an unfair rap for doing so. Our newspapers and tv stations are full of bad news. However, what is perhaps different about our culture is that we have the cajones to call things what they are. I'm confident other countries and cultures experience the very same problems--perhaps on an even worse scale, but sweep those problems under the rug instead of dealing with them. Our dirtiest laundry is aired in public. And, you know what? We've solved any number of problems for that very reason. If you expose racism, political corruption, and even crime to the light of day it tends to reduce it. Racists and crooks don't like to be held up to public ridicule. Those people who were "fence sitters" have to take a stand and more often they side against these injustices.

I don't think Americans will ever be a "Don't worry be happy culture" and I'm damn proud of it.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:15 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I think you don't understood what I wrote.
Yes we have many problems in Rio, but we (brazilian people) are not concerned with this issues all the time. We just talk(slightly) about it.
We prefer to enjoy others best life's things: Beach, Sun, Nature, Friends, Women, Soccer and many, many others.
.................................................. .................................................

Well, if this is what you meant I think I am even less impressed. What I hear you saying is that racism, poverty, and crime may exist in Rio de Janeiro and elsewhere, but why be bothered?
I think you may have hit the nail squarely on its head.

I get the impression that the OP is some rich kid who simply doesn't have to be bothered by any of these problems. He has daddy's credit card and the nice car daddy bought for him, so he's living the playboy lifestyle. Nothing else matters.

Old 11-30-2009, 07:20 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
if you look at la raz;naacp and other moinrity groups 'its not a anglo problem at all.anglo rarely about specail laws to advantage themsleves. Seems op has in backwqards really.
bingo !

Old 11-30-2009, 08:18 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So, after I challenged you, you Googled racism in Brazil and found some links that supported your contention. What did you know about Brazil before that?

You didn't challenge me. You wanted a personal experience pissing contest. Have I been to Brazil? No. Do I know about Brazil? Yes. Do I have an international dvd collection going on? Yes.

What else did you want to know? Did you want to hear my diatribe on machismo and marianismo within Brazilian culture? Uncontacted tribes?

I question the authenticity of the OP. Why? He presents as the typical stereotype. Now, if you want to pretend there is legitimacy in his argument then so be it. However, you will need to find a legitimate argument with me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates