Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:25 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hey, I never thought of that. Great idea. If I don't like spam, maybe I shouldn't be on the computer. If I don't like crazy drivers, maybe I shouldn't drive. If I don't like marketing hype of junky convenience foods, maybe I shouldn't go to the supermarket. If I don't like commercials, maybe I shouldn't watch TV. If I don't like my congressman, maybe I shouldn't live in his district.
Exactly, real simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:36 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,677,849 times
Brainy Intellectual Type
Not a member
befriend Join Date: Oct 2009
84 posts, read 17,994 times

Federal Extensions of unemployment insurance has become a welfare program

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I am getting frustrated with the long term unemployed just sitting at home, sending a few resumes out a day for jobs they must know they are not going to be called for, and complaining. Just get a job, any job, even if it involves two minimum wage positions."

The gist of the post wasn't his, "frustration", nor was it his call for all unemployed, federal extension benefit recipients to get off their butt's and find two jobs, its the notion that he and others are getting ripped off somehow by these evil unemployed folk's.

Calling for the thread to remain focused on his rant seems preposterous in light of the "unemployment insurance" we just allowed the banking class to take from the national treasury. Who cares about the pitance that goes to the destitute hopeless folk's who were shafted by the government and the business' that threw them to the wolves in the first place?

Old 10-27-2009, 07:10 AM

27 posts, read 42,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
My daughter didn't exaggerate (she has a problem with understatement) and she DID get the job. So your snide comments are moot.
I'm sorry i misread but i can assure you that my comments were not snide. Congrats to your daughter on recieving a well deserved job in these tough times. I hope your family will just learn to pray for those of us not so fortunate and stop ridiculing us it's not most of our fault that were unemployed. I live in S. Jersey where most people have been laid off by the casionos because all americans even w/ jobs are scared to spend and learning to be more frugile these days. Thanks again for your ignorance. LOL

Old 10-27-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
MY high horse? That's funny... Seems like those who are willing to extend payments to whomever for forever are the ones on their high horses; not willing to admit that no one is entitled to anything they didn't earn, and resenting anyone who doesn't think the way that they do.

Yes, unemployment insurance is a great safety net - and I feel sorry for the folks who have worked for years at jobs and are suddenly laid off. They should be able to access what they have put into the system, or the company should provide training for another job, as I stated before. But until they
Quote:
understand WHY their jobs went overseas
or became supernumerary, and how they allowed it to happen by voting for the people who promised them a life of ease, 40 acres and a mule, or a chicken in every pot, and work to change it, it will continue to slip this whole country sideways into a slow grinding poverty.

I'm neither Republican nor Democrat - as far as I'm concerned, both parties have allowed this debacle of non-innovation, non-creation of jobs, and non-expansion of manufacturing for the past 20 years and more. So of course they will vote to extend benefits, and extend benefits, ad infinitum, just to keep their jobs and the out-of-work people from seeing the truth and rising up against them. It's like watching over 500 magicians on stage at once - watch the pretty girl in the sparkly tights, never mind the sleight of hand while they remove your wallet.
And this is my/their fault, how? I hope that the bottom doesn't fall out from under your business because I don't believe self employed are eligible for unemployment benefits.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:30 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,310,746 times
The gist of the post wasn't his, "frustration", nor was it his call for all unemployed, federal extension benefit recipients to get off their butt's and find two jobs, its the notion that he and others are getting ripped off somehow by these evil unemployed folk's.

.................................................. ..................................................

After re-reading the OP's comments, what struck me was his general insensitivity. His frustration is not directed at the recession, nor the policies which caused the largest economy in the world to go off the rails, but instead its directed at the people who are out-of-work because of it.

Maybe in the OP's world, there are millions of people just chafing at the bit for any excuse to be "laid off" so they can go collect unemployment benefits and loaf off somewhere (probably drinking beer and smoking dope).

I'm sure there are people who don't want to work out there and look for excuses not to have to do so. My experiences have been much more poignant. I remember hiring a part time secretary eight months ago and having to sift through about 40 applications. The applicant pool included people with BS degrees from colleges and even one applicant with an MS degree. Both sexes and all ages were represented in the pool. I had people literally begging for me that part time job. I ended up hiring someone who had a degree and was also bilingual.

Most people want to work and have some job skills. The few who don't usually learn pretty quickly its either get job skills or plan on earning nothing most of your life.

We need to fix the economy, rather than blame the victims--the unemployed.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

.................................................. ..................................................

After re-reading the OP's comments, what struck me was his general insensitivity. His frustration is not directed at the recession, nor the policies which caused the largest economy in the world to go off the rails, but instead its directed at the people who are out-of-work because of it.

Maybe in the OP's world, there are millions of people just chafing at the bit for any excuse to be "laid off" so they can go collect unemployment benefits and loaf off somewhere (probably drinking beer and smoking dope).

I'm sure there are people who don't want to work out there and look for excuses not to have to do so. My experiences have been much more poignant. I remember hiring a part time secretary eight months ago and having to sift through about 40 applications. The applicant pool included people with BS degrees from colleges and even one applicant with an MS degree. Both sexes and all ages were represented in the pool. I had people literally begging for me that part time job. I ended up hiring someone who had a degree and was also bilingual.

Most people want to work and have some job skills. The few who don't usually learn pretty quickly its either get job skills or plan on earning nothing most of your life.

We need to fix the economy, rather than blame the victims--the unemployed.
Yea, "general insensitivity", I feel bad you lost your job, but tough s**t, starve!

Old 10-27-2009, 07:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
MY high horse? That's funny... Seems like those who are willing to extend payments to whomever for forever are the ones on their high horses; not willing to admit that no one is entitled to anything they didn't earn, and resenting anyone who doesn't think the way that they do.

Yes, unemployment insurance is a great safety net - and I feel sorry for the folks who have worked for years at jobs and are suddenly laid off. They should be able to access what they have put into the system,.
There is nothing more "high horse" thay saying "I'm up here doing fine, to hell with the rest of you down there".

Access what they put in? What moron would buy life or health or house or car insurance where the benefits were limited to the total of the premiums paid? Jeez. Who, pray tell, gets the money that was paid into the system by those who never need it?

Your house burns down, here's a check to reimburse you for all the premiums you paid, have a nice day. No-one is entitled to anything they didn't earn, and you didn't earn the replacement cost of your house.

Sorry---you just fell off your own high horse with a resounding thud.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-27-2009 at 07:56 AM..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
There is nothing more "high horse" thay saying "I'm up here doing fine, to hell with the rest of you down there".

Access what they put in? What moron would buy life or health or house or car insurance where the benefits were limited to the total of the premiums paid? Jeez. Who, pray tell, gets the money that was paid into the system by those who never need it?

Your house burns down, here's a check to reimburse you for all the premiums you paid, have a nice day. No-one is entitled to anything they didn't earn, and you didn't earn the replacement cost of your house.

Sorry---you just fell off your own high horse with a resoundint thud.
Right, it is an insurance policy! "unemployment insurance"

Old 10-27-2009, 08:41 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,015,308 times
I think threads like this are either ignorant or in denial of the fact that our society is rapidly changing to an economy with a perpetual unemployed class. Even before the big Crash industries were dying and laying off due to advances in technology, out-sourcing , and the trivialization of labor wages. The future America might very well have to live with a 32 hour work week just to keep more of America employed and self-supporting.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:54 PM

438 posts, read 947,143 times
I was unemployed for about 8 months. I simply could not get a job in the field I majored in (Internation Business). I broadened my scope and still nothing. Sometimes I did get discouraged and wasn't as focused on job hunting as I should have been. Eventually I got to the point that I was was sending in tons of resumes to a wide variety of businesses, as well as applying to Walmart, grocery stores, convenience stores and all manner of other job that I could be remotely considered for.

I went to job interviews where they basically told me that because I had a couple of degrees, they felt a part-time job or a position for which I was underemployed would become boring for me and I would quit. So they wanted to hire someone who would value the job more. I just wanted to be able to pay bills and rent.

I always thought that if a person were willing and able to work, they would find something. But when the employers won't hire you because you're overqualified and they fear you won't take the job seriously...what are you supposed to do? And the longer you stay unemployed, the harder it is to break into the job market because you have no experience. It was infuriating. I found a seasonal job which ended up giving me few hours and a scrawny paycheck. Ugh.
Luckily I had a double major so I pursued a teaching license and finally got a job in the school system. And I didn't have a house, kids, a car or school loans to pay off. But a lot of folks don't have that going for them and I really feel for people who are unemployed. It is sooo frustrating, especially when you know you are capable of being a good employee, you just can't get the chance to prove it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates