Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 01:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times

Advertisements

Re: Obamacare - Constitutionally, does the federal government have the right to set minimum policy standards? If so, where does that right come from?

Health insurance isn't sold across state lines.
Health insurance isn't regulated by the federal government.

The more I look at the issue, the more I think the federal gov does not have the power to set min policy guidelines.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 07:23 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Basically, it doesn't ****ing matter. Why? Because you're all too damn busy digging into to surface issues to notice what's going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/he...alth.html?_r=0

Old 11-02-2013, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
Basically, it doesn't ****ing matter. Why? Because you're all too damn busy digging into to surface issues to notice what's going on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/16/he...alth.html?_r=0
That 2 year old article has no bearing on my question.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:50 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
3 year old article, from the time when Obamacare was being passed.
An article talking about how the insurance companies lobbied our representatives in an effort to make the law favorable to them. Establishing minimum policy standards is very beneficial to insurance companies, is it not?

I would say that no, it is not legal. So many things our government does is not legal. Who is going to stop it?

Old 11-02-2013, 08:02 PM

1,871 posts, read 2,098,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeatheist View Post
I would say that no, it is not legal. So many things our government does is not legal. Who is going to stop it?

This is so true and frustrates me to know end. The government is exempt from so much ****. They can do whatever the hell they want and get away it. So irritating. I am fed up with the government overstepping its boundaries on so many issues including health. The founding fathers created the constitution to use as a weapon against big government taking over our lives. We have too much big business in bed with big corporations.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:26 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,391,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
We have too much big business in bed with big corporations.
Wow! How could THAT have happened! And I thought being frustrated to "know end" was going to be the worst of it.

Meanwhile, if the government has the power to tax people for not doing something (and even weirdo Roberts says it does), then it has the power to define in such excrutiating detail as it may choose just what that something actually is.

Old 11-03-2013, 02:33 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Re: Obamacare - Constitutionally, does the federal government have the right to set minimum policy standards? If so, where does that right come from?

The more I look at the issue, the more I think the federal gov does not have the power to set min policy guidelines.

Thoughts?
Thats a reasonable question. I think because many of the insurance companies do in fact cross state lines, medicare crosses states lines, and the ACA is cross border it does. But its not 100% straightforward.

More people should ask questions like this.

Old 11-03-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Thats a reasonable question. I think because many of the insurance companies do in fact cross state lines, medicare crosses states lines, and the ACA is cross border it does. But its not 100% straightforward.

More people should ask questions like this.
Most, if not all, insurance companies set up subsidiary divisions in each state and each division has to meet certain standards in the state before they can sell insurance. For instance,

Blue Cross Blue Shield of Illinois
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Maine
Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida
Blue Cross Blue Shield of New York.

When buy insurance you are going to buy insurance from a company located in your state. The SCOTUS never addressed the policy minimums though and I can't think of another industry that operates this way.

Old 11-03-2013, 05:51 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
In our system, the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution. They have held that Congress can regulate these policies under the clause of the Constitution that allows Congress to tax.

Despite what the teabaggers think, its the Supreme Court (and not they) who determine the meaning of the Constitution in our system.

See National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...11-393c3a2.pdf

Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
In our system, the Supreme Court interprets the Constitution. They have held that Congress can regulate these policies under the clause of the Constitution that allows Congress to tax.

Despite what the teabaggers think, its the Supreme Court (and not they) who determine the meaning of the Constitution in our system.

See National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions...11-393c3a2.pdf
The court only addressed the individual mandate and the Medicaid expansion. The individual mandate is no different than the home interest deduction or child deductions. However, I am asking about the ability of the federal government to set minimum policy guidelines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates