Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 07:37 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times

Advertisements

Why stop at discontinuing benefits? WTH, close the soup kitchens and the mission that donates a warm jacket and make it a felony to use a cardboard box for sleeping quarters....will that work better for ya?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 07:45 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Obviously you didn't even bother to read what I wrote. Rose colored glasses? Not hardly. Just common sense and a solid work ethic, that doesn't lead me to believe that the world or the government or other taxpayers owe me a thing - or any employer, either. And a lot of experience listening to "I can't!" instead of "I will". I too have been self-employed - and worked 18-hour days, seven days a week, for three years, until I turned it into a subsidiary of a national corporation.

"Civilized countries" has become the new doublespeak for "Those who work their wazoos off should pay for those who can't" - or won't, or think that they deserve better.

When my daughter applied for a high-paying professional job (for which she had 4 years of college and five years of experience) she showed up for a week-long interview and testing period - along with over 400 applicants. Within the first two days of testing, the employer had whittled the "applicants" down to a list of 20 (of which my daughter was one). Even though the job requirements and educational levels were VERY specific, all most were looking for was a high paying job - for which they couldn't even pass the basic test to qualify! Many showed up in jeans and casual wear, and just wanted their papers signed so that they could 'prove' they 'looked for a job'. And what about that poor woman in California, who told people on unemployment, "Don't keep trying for the high-end jobs - take a job, or even two, if you have to, to support yourself!" - and was ridiculed in the media, and asked to leave her office? So let's not even pretend that gosh, sure a "few" people abuse the system - the fact is that many if not most seem to prefer to take "free money", Welfare, entitlements, whatever you want to call it, for as long as they can get it. For this reason, the 'unemployment benefits' should extend no longer than it takes for someone to retrain for another job, and should be specific about that retraining period.

Personally, I think that if there is a stated drastic shortage of nurses, or teachers, or whatever, then the employment benefits should include the paid training for those jobs - but if the person still doesn't take a job in that field after they complete the training, they should owe the money back and forfeit all benefits thereafter. But I guess that wouldn't be "fair" either, if they turned out to hate kids or faint at the sight of blood... poor poor people forced to take jobs they can't be happy in...

WORK isn't supposed to be playtime, a social event, or something you can do without planning, forethought, repetitive goal-setting, and effort; if it was, they wouldn't call it WORK. They'd call it - kindergarten.
Please get off your high horse and stop with the self righteous rhetoric, Let's get it straight, unemployment is not welfare and yes some people will abuse the system, but if 10 people are on unemployment and 2 are abusing it, should everyone be penalized? As I said before, here in Pa. the employee and employer both pay into unemployment. It is truly an insurance policy and as far as I am concerned, the employee is entitled to get his money back.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:01 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aveojohn View Post
Please get off your high horse and stop with the self righteous rhetoric, Let's get it straight, unemployment is not welfare and yes some people will abuse the system, but if 10 people are on unemployment and 2 are abusing it, should everyone be penalized? As I said before, here in Pa. the employee and employer both pay into unemployment. It is truly an insurance policy and as far as I am concerned, the employee is entitled to get his money back.
MY high horse? That's funny... Seems like those who are willing to extend payments to whomever for forever are the ones on their high horses; not willing to admit that no one is entitled to anything they didn't earn, and resenting anyone who doesn't think the way that they do.

Yes, unemployment insurance is a great safety net - and I feel sorry for the folks who have worked for years at jobs and are suddenly laid off. They should be able to access what they have put into the system, or the company should provide training for another job, as I stated before. But until they understand WHY their jobs went overseas or became supernumerary, and how they allowed it to happen by voting for the people who promised them a life of ease, 40 acres and a mule, or a chicken in every pot, and work to change it, it will continue to slip this whole country sideways into a slow grinding poverty.

I'm neither Republican nor Democrat - as far as I'm concerned, both parties have allowed this debacle of non-innovation, non-creation of jobs, and non-expansion of manufacturing for the past 20 years and more. So of course they will vote to extend benefits, and extend benefits, ad infinitum, just to keep their jobs and the out-of-work people from seeing the truth and rising up against them. It's like watching over 500 magicians on stage at once - watch the pretty girl in the sparkly tights, never mind the sleight of hand while they remove your wallet.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:09 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
It is getting very tiresome to have people opening a debate thread every time they perceive that the government is doing anything whatsoever that smacks in any way whatsoever of violating the poster's personal political posture that everything that the government does for anybody is automatically evil.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:37 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
You said:

When my daughter applied for a high-paying professional job (for which she had 4 years of college and five years of experience) she showed up for a week-long interview and testing period - along with over 400 applicants. Within the first two days of testing, the employer had whittled the "applicants" down to a list of 20 (of which my daughter was one). Even though the job requirements and educational levels were VERY specific, all most were looking for was a high paying job - for which they couldn't even pass the basic test to qualify! Many showed up in jeans and casual wear, and just wanted their papers signed so that they could 'prove' they 'looked for a job'. And what about that poor woman in California, who told people on unemployment, "Don't keep trying for the high-end jobs - take a job, or even two, if you have to, to support yourself!" - and was ridiculed in the media, and asked to leave her office? So let's not even pretend that gosh, sure a "few" people abuse the system - the fact is that many if not most seem to prefer to take "free money", Welfare, entitlements, whatever you want to call it, for as long as they can get it. For this reason, the 'unemployment benefits' should extend no longer than it takes for someone to retrain for another job, and should be specific about that retraining period.

My reply is:

If I understand what you are saying here, you are telling me your daughter applied for a single job and 400 applicants total showed up. Now, I grant you that you are always going to find some people that are just filling out an application because Department of Employment Security requires it. I'll also grant you that some people really are stupid when it comes to applying for a job (wearing blue jeans instead of dress clothes). However, the basic point is that 400 people applied for 1 job. What does that tell you about the employment situation in this country? It ought to tell anyone that there are far, far more job applicants than jobs right now. If that is the case, its the classic argument for why unemployment benefits are desperately needed right now.

You said:

Personally, I think that if there is a stated drastic shortage of nurses, or teachers, or whatever, then the employment benefits should include the paid training for those jobs - but if the person still doesn't take a job in that field after they complete the training, they should owe the money back and forfeit all benefits thereafter. But I guess that wouldn't be "fair" either, if they turned out to hate kids or faint at the sight of blood... poor poor people forced to take jobs they can't be happy in...

My reply is:

Just like others have said here, I am sure there are abuses of unemployment benefits. However, the basic concept is that everyone (including the out-of-work employee) is paying taxes to support this program. Therefore, I believe when it is used appropriately as I think it is used by most workers it really is simply collecting benefits that are due. Its not like welfare where someone may never put a dime into the system. Maybe there is some merit to your idea about job training expenses that should be reimburseable? It sounds sort of like the way the student loan program works to me.

You said:

WORK isn't supposed to be playtime, a social event, or something you can do without planning, forethought, repetitive goal-setting, and effort; if it was, they wouldn't call it WORK. They'd call it - kindergarten.

My reply is:

I can't speak for all the people in this country who are out-of-work or who claim to be out-of-work. What I can say is that after twenty-one years of being self-employed, I think I know something about the work ethic. The work ethic means coming to work even when you are very ill at times. I've come to work with kidney stones, strep infections, and torn ligaments. It can mean working 6 or 7 days a week at times. Being self-employed means no benefits and no vacation time, unless you are willing to give up days of work and lose the money you'd be earning.

The work ethic is something I have taught my children and the people in my family have all shown.

At the same time, there are decent people out there who for different reasons can't get a job. What some people cannot face is that sometimes a job is truly not available for someone who really wants to work. The economy maybe very bad. Sometimes, you have a well-intentioned individual who just doesn't come across in job interviews. Some people have trouble getting jobs because of their race, their sex, or their sexual orientation.

The truth is that I'd honestly prefer a government "works program" instead of unemployment benefits. We can find hundreds of valuable jobs to do for people who have spare time on their hands. They can work in daycare centers. They can pick up litter. They can help the elderly. Heck, they even can even do maintenance on hiking trails in national forests. Of course, if we do this, this will detract from the time these folks have to be out searching for a job or being in school learning the skills to prepare for a skilled job.

The unemployed are "down" right now. I'd prefer that all of us help them "get up" and get back to work instead of kicking them while they are down. How about some constructive ideas instead of just saying people are lazy?

Old 10-25-2009, 04:44 PM

27 posts, read 42,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
I am getting frustrated with the long term unemployed just sitting at home, sending a few resumes out a day for jobs they must know they are not going to be called for, and complaining. Just get a job, any job, even if it involves two minimum wage positions.

I know many people who have been collecting $450 a week in unemployment insurance for over 60 weeks. The first 26 weeks were traditional unemployment paid through a tax on employers. When they still did not have a job they went on state and federal extensions that last as long as 72 weeks. Now they are coming close to running out of these benefits and are pushing their member of Congress to give another 14 week extension.

If that extension is passed, what happens to them in 14 weeks? Why would we expect these people to be any closer to getting a job in 14 more weeks than today after 72 weeks of unemployment?

When do we say enough and force to people to depend on family and friends or work at McDonalds or Walmart?

Please, lets debate when we should cut off long term federal benefits for the long term unemployed.
Wow. I truly understand how some of the employed could be so ignorant to the true significance in our nations unemployment rate, but you my dear are niether brainy or intellectual... i'm sure thier are people out there taking advantage of the situation however, thats not most of us. Im 30 and have continuessly held a job or two or three until last year. I have two children, 11 and 6months to feed, clothe, shelter and otherwise care for. The extra 13 weeks will get some of the bills ive acquired since my last unemployment check in augaust paid so i dont lose all ive worked for my lifetime. You should read up on the facts and attain some knowledge before u voice ignorance, selfishness and "brainless" thoughts. I just got a job after filling out upwards of 500 applications. I ONLY got a job due to my mothers employment with the same company and her being a top sales person. I also am in real estate school to get liscensed for the job and then have an additional two weeks training on site. I need the money for daycare, gas, car payments, car insurance and to otherwise get myself by until i recieve a paycheck which wont be until Dec. However thank you for reminding me how selfish of a country we live in and how dumb and heartless so many of you out there are. I am not lazy and have went many days w/ out eating to see my children could. You have no idea what this additional extension could do for so many and for the ones taking advantage your right they'll be the same place in 13wks.

Old 10-25-2009, 04:50 PM

27 posts, read 42,332 times
Quote:
Most peoples unemployment cant even pay the rent and utilities. It helps thats all and until you've walked in the shoes of an unemployed hones hardworking american you should not pass judgement. I found a job but w/out the money to get thru the training and education i will not make it. I understand some take advantage but maybe your daughter exaggerated because she was upset she didnt get the job. You dont have to get the work search form signed but they do follow up on your applications to see their valid and honest. Please understand what so many are going thru. My children come first even if i dont eat, sleep or do anything but cry from the fear of whats next

Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,688,423 times
My daughter didn't exaggerate (she has a problem with understatement) and she DID get the job. So your snide comments are moot.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:01 AM

2,422 posts, read 2,279,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It is getting very tiresome to have people opening a debate thread every time they perceive that the government is doing anything whatsoever that smacks in any way whatsoever of violating the poster's personal political posture that everything that the government does for anybody is automatically evil.
Maybe you shouldn't come to the debate forum.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:44 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Maybe you shouldn't come to the debate forum.
Hey, I never thought of that. Great idea. If I don't like spam, maybe I shouldn't be on the computer. If I don't like crazy drivers, maybe I shouldn't drive. If I don't like marketing hype of junky convenience foods, maybe I shouldn't go to the supermarket. If I don't like commercials, maybe I shouldn't watch TV. If I don't like my congressman, maybe I shouldn't live in his district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates