Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 06:52 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

I buy very little. When I do buy, I choose something with reasonable quality for a reasonable price. Not to be an ass, but that's often not a product made in the USA. First, I simply can't afford the "Cadillac" (nor do I want it). I couldn't care less about keeping up with the Jones'. Second, I'm not going to buy something made in the USA that is going to blow up next week. I realize that is not always the case, but we've developed a 'reputation.' When it’s not the case, I’ll be happy to buy it. Make something I can afford with good quality, and I'm fine with it.

Besides, I've learned from these forums that everyone here should aspire to be a rocket scientist in this country and of course get a rocket scientist's wage. With that attitude, there never will be anything produced in the USA that is cost effective. With 1000 people sitting on their duffs in the executive suite and nobody out on the production floor, it makes it hard to produce anything. We are no longer a nation of doers. We've become a nation of commanders. And nothing gets done that way. Tell you what, why don't we have a panel that deliberates for two or four or ten years on how we as a nation can start producing again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:17 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,696,461 times
Be prepared to pay through the nose for those US goods. We priced ourselves out of the market.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
You were doing pretty good there for a minute. CaliDude! But the reason so many folks are buying the ChinaMart "alternatives" is because of greed.

Who says Greed is a bad thing? Greed is also the only reason why some people are richer than others, which seems to be an inequality that you fully endorse and indefatigably advocate.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:59 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,204,465 times
I actually TRIED to buy American when it came to selecting nursery furniture.

My options were... nothing, or the Amish. Have you ever SEEN the price of an Amish crib (not including freight to get it to me, which would be several hundred)?

American made goods need to start pricing themselves competitively (not 500%+ more than other options), and they need to be made of decent quality. I don't mind paying a slight premium for better quality (I pretty much do that with anything I buy), but in the case of cribs... it was beyond ridiculous.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
OK, case in point. I buy shoes made in China. When I wear out shoes, it is the soles that wear out. As far as I know, the technology of shoe soles is cheap and uniform, and the Americans cannot make longer-wearing soles than the Chinese can. I could buy a higher quality upper from an American shoemaker, that would last for decades, but I'd have to have them resoled from time to time, and an American cobbler would charge me more to resole my shoes, than the cost of a whole new pair of Chinese-made shoes.

So how do I gain by paying the same price or more, to get just new soles instead of an entire new shoe?

Old 10-27-2009, 05:12 PM

664 posts, read 773,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Yeah, **** everyone but yourself.
Now there's a real sustainable argument.
I don't give a **** about sustainability. It's not my problem if manufacturers can't compete while in America. I'm not rich, I don't have extra money to burn to buy more expensive, often times inferior, American made products. It's a global economy, there is no going back now.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:16 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,804,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Buy Idaho!
Idaho is for sale? I better put in an offer... I kinda like Idaho.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,828,546 times
I can't wholey go along with your wants. I was put out of a job and stayed in the same field on less pay in the 1980's when the price of oil crashed. The United states people sure liked that and didn't much care about buying American. They just wanted the lowest cost.
I know this is also like the Textile,Metal,Car industires,Lumber,Farming, etc., of the past when jobs went to other countries for one reason or another. I do buy american when I can, but cost is first priority and beleive it or not, some imported products are superior to our products.
America is such a "me" focused society now, I really don't know exactly why.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:26 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,679,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
Yes I do understand that a lot of our economy is reliant on imports... More and more of our labor is being outsourced to China because of greedy corporations and inept unions, but we can do our part by buying American everything at a grass roots level. When you lose your job and you wonder why after you have been shopping at chinamart for the past 10 years you have no one to blame but your self for your iresponsible consumption habits. Try buying an American luxury car instead of leasing a big gaudy import SUV , cook your own food with local ingredients from your local farmers market, kick back with the family or friends and share some Napa or Sonoma California wine on your day off, a good bottle can be had for under 15 bucks. This country can be strong again if we all support one and other. Wall street is NOT to blame for EVERYTHING. WE are to blame if we dont get our azz in gear. PEACE.
You people just don't understand. The USA can no longer be a production economy. We have to move into other areas (such as intellectual property, research, medical advances, etc), because other countries produce consumables quicker, better, and more cheaply than we do now.

"BUY AMERICAN" you bleat. Sorry, I'm going to buy the best product for me, at a reasonable price, whether it's made in the USA or not. The USA has to morph now, and trying to bolster up an archaic and beaten industrial production economy is not the answer.

Last edited by Mercury Cougar; 10-28-2009 at 10:39 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 10:56 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Buy Idaho!
How much is it? I quite like Idaho--especially northern Idaho. Is financing available?

Kidding aside, you actually have a good point. We really need to go back to regional/local economies. Sooner or later, I think that will make itself clear. Hopefully, not too many die during the lesson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates