Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 11:11 AM

2,637 posts, read 4,461,781 times

Advertisements

We have no more Henry Fords, Edison's or Wright Brothers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 11:17 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post

Of course, why would car companies want to sell us a car that will go 200k? Not good business practice!

Almost every gasoline engine will outlast the rest of the car. The engine is not what wears out.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:20 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,420,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaskateguy View Post
We should produce our own goods. build our own Cars, Truck, tractors, and TVs. We should grow our own food, and educate our own children.
With what money? Our dollar is so devalued now that the only thing we can afford is Made in China products. I was furniture shopping the other day, and an American-made end table costs $500, a coffee table $700, it's simply absurd.

TVs? Americans haven't made TVs since the RCA days back in the 1970s.

Cars? You know why GM and Ford are failing? They turned more into a marketing and pension company than a car company. GM was so shortsighted that it even got rid of its in-house engineering department in the 1980s. The soul of a car company should be its car engineers, not the assembly line workers and not marketing executives. If you design and produce a craptastic car, no amount of money spent on marketing will overcome the craptastic review.

We are seeing the same thing with health care today. Why is health care costs skyrocketing when physicians' incomes have been stagnant for two decades? Because for every physician there are now two administrative workers (claims agent, hospital admin, insurance management, HMO consultants) who sit in their cubicles and contribute very little to actual care.

Growth of Physicians and Administrators in the Health Care Industry:

Our country has lost sight of what is truly important and productive, and became instead a country of paper-pushers who spend their entire day in the office on Outlook doing essentially nothing of real value.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

American use to build their reputation on building the best product on Earth. Now we try to build the cheapest, with the greatest profit margin.---we can't win at that, and if we did, what would we have?---"America, the world's dollar Store" forget about it.

Old 12-03-2009, 12:50 PM

898 posts, read 1,401,982 times
Not only made in the U.S.A. but made in my home state!

Now if only I could afford it

Old 12-03-2009, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melinuxfool View Post
Not only made in the U.S.A. but made in my home state!

Now if only I could afford it
But look what they did with PPK.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,195 times
We can't even be assured of American grown and slaughtered beef any more...........

Old 12-04-2009, 10:18 AM

536 posts, read 1,871,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Almost every gasoline engine will outlast the rest of the car. The engine is not what wears out.
If you believe that I got some used cars to sell ya at new car pricing

But I have to agree that other things can, and sometimes do, wear out as fast or faster. But normally it is somehow related to the engine. These days, with the commutes of some people, the car doesn't really get any wear other than the usual tires, brakes, and of course, the engine. In fact, the car doesn't really have time to rust, or start falling apart and breaking down for other issues because they put 30 to 40K on a car per year.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:35 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sike0000 View Post
If you believe that I got some used cars to sell ya at new car pricing

But I have to agree that other things can, and sometimes do, wear out as fast or faster. But normally it is somehow related to the engine. These days, with the commutes of some people, the car doesn't really get any wear other than the usual tires, brakes, and of course, the engine. In fact, the car doesn't really have time to rust, or start falling apart and breaking down for other issues because they put 30 to 40K on a car per year.
At $100 an hour and up for shop labor and the plethora of intricate components in inaccessible locations, the cumulative effect of things like ball joints and water pumps and master cylinders and AC compressors will render a car "not worth fixing" long before the engine begins to fail.

I bought my last 5 cars with 100-150K on the clock, and drove them until they were junk, and the engines worked perfectly right up to the scrapyard door.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I am changing my clunker purchasing from my local area the Carolinas and the Southwest. Then I will undercoat and wax the purchases to the max. I look at new cars as my supply 10 years into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates