Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 07:39 AM

2,818 posts, read 2,284,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Nope, cancel culture comes from society finally waking up to the idea that it's wrong to bully others (hurt, harm, or demean their dignity outside the scope of reasonable self-defense, retaliation, or punishment). I'm sorry that you're upset that certain high profile people are being called out for inexcusable degradation of others way back some time, but they were 18 years old at the time - and so I'm not gonna lose any sleep over jerks and bigots getting their comeuppance.
I certainly think it is good that people are held accountable for their statements. IMO, it is good that the central park dog women was legally held accountable for wasting critical emergency services. I don't feel bad that she went viral for being an entitled a-hole and I don't blame her employer for firing her. Because of her actions, many employees and customers would understandably not trust her.

But, I do think woke/cancel culture like any movement can have its downsides.
1) It can be counter productive- it may feel good and even be justified, but attacking people for there views is not an effective way to change them. I was recently talking to someone and they were saying some pretty racist stuff. I wanted to scream at them and call them dumb. But, ultimately I knew that wouldn't change anything, I tried to talk to them about how hurtful their views were.

2) It can tend toward dogmatic extremism- it's one thing to censor bigoted speech, it is another to censor views you disagree with. For example, I would consider calls to refer a student for bias charges because he wrote an article criticizing the logic of a recent Supreme Court case on LGBT employment discrimination to be a case of that.

https://jonathanturley.org/2020/07/1...ostock-ruling/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2020, 09:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,476,450 times
The problem with the Witch Trials wasn't that real witches were convicted and punished, it was that anyone accused of being a witch by anyone else was automatically guilty and executed.

The problem with Cancel Culture is not that real racist are being exposed and punished, it's that anyone accused of racism by anyone is automatically guilty and subject to a destroyed reputation and unemployment. I'm glad a bigot like Marge Schott would no longer be tolerated, I'm also concerned that a meteorologist with a stuttering problem was fired and blacklisted from his industry for stuttering over MLK's name, despite many Black meteorologists coming to his defense.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:51 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
No.

Social disapprobation is not even remotely like using the force of the state to incarcerate, torture, and sometimes kill people over heresy.

PS - I love how the same people that wanted Colin Kaepernick hounded out of the NFL, who loved the Dixie Chicks boycott, and for whom Jane Fonda is persona non grata, have somehow convinced themselves that they stand in opposition to 'cancel culture'.
Agree. A lot of what we call 'cancel culture' is just calling out people for egregious behavior; in many cases the guilty deserve ridicule or consequences that come their way -- like that woman in Central Park. Some cases may go overboard but that's true of most everything. Conservatives love to blame others for cancel culture but truth is the political right is up to its chin in "cancel culture."

- Modern affordable contraception for all women ? Cancelled
- Affordable universal/single-payer healthcare ? Cancelled
- Voting rights and free and fair elections ? Cancelled
- True civil rights for people of color ? Canceled
- Reasonable campaign finance laws/regulation ? Cancelled
- Respect for science, facts & reasoned discourse ? Cancelled
- Separation of church and state ? Cancelled
- A progressive income tax system ? Cancelled
- Living wages for American workers ? Cancelled
- Pensions for American workers ? Cancelled
- Reasonable gun and public safety regulations ? Cancelled
- Reasonable global warming environmental rules ? Cancelled
- Permitting popularly elected Obama to staff the Supreme Court ? Cancelled
- Permitting a Senate trial of House Impeachment evidence ? Cancelled
- Dignity in the White House ? Cancelled
- America's good reputation around the world ? Cancelled
- Bipartisanship and compromise ? Cancelled
- An inclusive, growing middle class ? Cancelled
- A reasonable income-equality ratio ? Cancelled

America's greedy Republican right has worked overtime to successfully cancel almost everything decent about the United States of America by sending the flames of cultural ignorance, greed and division ever higher.

Fortunately, a super-majority of voters are preparing to cancel the Republican Party on Nov 3 2020.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 07-15-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 07-15-2020, 06:55 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,044,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
The problem with the Witch Trials wasn't that real witches were convicted and punished, it was that anyone accused of being a witch by anyone else was automatically guilty and executed.

The problem with Cancel Culture is not that real racist are being exposed and punished, it's that anyone accused of racism by anyone is automatically guilty and subject to a destroyed reputation and unemployment. I'm glad a bigot like Marge Schott would no longer be tolerated, I'm also concerned that a meteorologist with a stuttering problem was fired and blacklisted from his industry for stuttering over MLK's name, despite many Black meteorologists coming to his defense.
I always suspected that those accused of being witches were probably 'guilty' of refusing the sexual advances of the town fathers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-15-2020, 08:20 PM

66 posts, read 49,100 times
People in social positions should be held responsible for what they say and do, as they have stupid sheeples follow them, imitating them, and doing things they would not normally do if they were not prodded to do so by these people in social positions.

And 99% of these people in social positions have absolutely NO BUSINESS spewing their views on anything, because most of them lie for a living. Example: Actors. They LIE for a living! They pretend to be someone else, they spew their lies in public, but in private, they don't live by what they preach or spew out into public! They are reprehensible and should be branded a threat to public safety and sanity if they are going to open their mouths and spew garbage and lies.

Two examples:

Tom Hanks - CONSTANTLY spewing his crap about people not wearing face masks, when HE HIMSELF (nor his wife) has EVER been seen wearing a face mask!!

Charlize Theron - spewing her racist rhetoric and lies, because she adopted two black kids!!!
ONE--adopting black kids doesn't give you ANY rights to be spewing lies and deceit about racism.
TWO--celebs like this woman, adopts black kids as a safety shield, so they have an automatic excuse if anyone ever calls them racist! And the sick part is, it's the TRUE racists that adopt these black kids as their safety shields!

When these people open their mouths, they need to be shut down, legally. It's not their job to be spewing lies and deceit to the public. Their jobs is to lie to us in front of a camera, faking it. Anything else is out of bounds.

Old 07-16-2020, 12:44 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
First off, I have a big problem with cancel culture. Let's get that out of the way right off the bat.

But if you're outraged about the cancel culture, are you about free speech or only support the speech you happen to like?

Let's take the Anti-Boycott laws that are now in place in thirty-odd states in this country. Never heard of them? Basically in states across the country, you cannot be a government contractor if you support the boycott of Israeli-made goods and services. You literally have to sign a pledge. https://www.jurist.org/news/2020/07/...bill-into-law/

What's more, it's not just companies. It's individuals. There are states where you cannot be a schoolteacher and teach anything but pro-Israeli positions in classroom instruction, whether in history or political science. Doing so means you lose your job. https://www.newsweek.com/teacher-fir...cument-1262083

Mind you, I don't boycott Israel. In a lot of ways, I'm pro-Israeli. But I'm also pro-rights, too. Now the question is this: Is this kind of law perfectly acceptable to you? If so, let's kind of drop the free speech palaver. It's a bit hypocritical on your part.

And let's not forget that the religious right pretty much created the cancel culture. Remember the boycotts of Disney World when they marketed to gay couples? Or the showing of The Life Of Brian and The Last Temptation of Christ? Those are very much attempts by a fringe group to dictate what you can and can't see. Cuts both ways.

In fact, I'll make it easy for you. The religious right boycotts all kinds of things for all kinds of stupid reasons. Here's just a partial list:

https://www.bibleblender.com/2016/christian-news/list-anti-religious-un-christian-businesses-organizations-people-celebrities-locations

Last edited by MinivanDriver; 07-16-2020 at 12:53 PM..

Old 07-16-2020, 01:39 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

And let's not forget that the religious right pretty much created the cancel culture. Remember the boycotts of Disney World when they marketed to gay couples? Or the showing of The Life Of Brian and The Last Temptation of Christ? Those are very much attempts by a fringe group to dictate what you can and can't see. Cuts both ways.
And remember the Dixie Chicks? My dad still isn't watching the NFL because of Colin Kaepernick, so there's an 85-year-old Republican soaking in cancel culture.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:22 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And remember the Dixie Chicks? My dad still isn't watching the NFL because of Colin Kaepernick, so there's an 85-year-old Republican soaking in cancel culture.

Bingo. My father-in-law has a list of things he's boycotting as long as his arm.

Old 07-16-2020, 05:04 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

As for cops going to jail as someone mentioned upthread here.... If you are accused of a crime, that is normally what should happen. I see no reason whatsoever that the uniform of law enforcement should exempt one from obligation to obey the law, or from accountability if they do not. In fact, I'm pretty sure that's what all of ~this~ *gestures vaguely at American cities right now* is about. I don't personally believe that having a badge gives anyone a right to steal, assault, rape or kill with impunity, or that it should. If they are innocent, let them establish that in a trial as judged by a jury of citizens like the rest of us.

Actually, this is not exactly, what should happen.
Sonic, as example, a person steps out and accuses YOU of crime.

Accusation: a charge or claim that someone has done something illegal or wrong.

Maybe you had an enemy, that believes you wronged, without you even knowing about it.

Does that mean, YOU should go to jail?
Surely not, you will say. Yet, it is exactly what you just said. Going to jail is normally what should happen when you are accused of crime. See above. That is your words.
But no, that is not exactly, or normally, what should happen.
What should happen is called presumption of innocence.

POI is a Holy Grail of American justice.

One of the most sacred principles in the American criminal justice system, holding that a defendant is innocent until proven guilty. In other words, the prosecution must prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, each essential element of the crime charged

That in mind, going to jail happens ONLY after person is tried in the court of law, in just and legal manner, and every aspect of the crime charged is proven beyond any doubt.

Thus, "cops" you referring to, should be tried first and their crime proven as, otherwise, until then, they are NOT GUILTY in the eyes of law. Or, it is not American justice, it is Wild West where brutal force rules or, even worse, it is lynching as mob does not have sense of justice. Not in its civilized form.

Old 07-16-2020, 06:26 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,707,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Agree. A lot of what we call 'cancel culture' is just calling out people for egregious behavior;
The very term 'cancel culture' is idiotic. It's slapping a shiny new label on something ordinary and timeless - holding people accountable (accountability culture would at least be a more accurate term) - and expecting people that exist at the nexus of clueless and gullible to think it really is something new just because they've never heard the term before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates