Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 11:30 AM

20,396 posts, read 14,673,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80sHorrorJunkie View Post
By your argument, which is the right to terminate an employee because of the beliefs they espouse if this belief turns off customers, if a person has a business in a conservative area and they have an employee who publicly advocates for Democratic Party policies (shirts,
facebook posts, etc) ...they can justly fire them!

I can also apply your argument to Christian Bakery Shops; What if an LGBT couple offends the patrons there who believe their marriage is a sin? "Do you really believe a business owner should keep these employees, (serve these couples) and lose revenue?"- Flipping your question back to you.

And I didn't change your argument one bit, I just applied it to people on the progressive side. If doesn't hold water here, why does it do so the way you argued it before?
I do think that if an employee is WARNED AHEAD OF TIME with language in a contract that they sign, that this, that, or the other thing could get them fired, and then they do it, then they should get fired.

I marched in Pride. I know my employer's values. They have donated money to LGBTQ+ causes, and hired a number of openly LGBTQ+ employees. If, in contrast, I worked for Chick Fil A, or Hobby Lobby, or New Life Church, or Focus on the Family (all possible in this town) then I would absolutely 100% expect that marching in Pride could get me fired. All it would take is someone I work with, seeing coverage on the local news or pictures in the local paper, and bringing it to my boss, and out the door I would be. I know that working for such a company, and participating in an event, visibly in polar opposition to the company's "values" is not a smart thing to do.

If I were found to be a member of the KKK, or some Neo Nazi group, if I were photographed holding a Westboro Baptist Church style sign somewhere, then my company would fire me. I guarantee it. And good for them.

As for the cake situation, I actually have a more nuanced thought process about that. I believe that all businesses should have a designation of "essential" or "non-essential" (that has nothing to do with Covid era standards.) Essential, is a hospital, or the only gas station or grocery store in some given geographic area (like "the only gas station for 20 miles" or something.) The only utility company from which one can obtain electricity or water in the area. Such a designation should come with a hefty tax benefit, like perhaps a tax exemption...it makes more sense to me than church exemptions do, especially these evangelical mega-churches... And along with that benefit, they must certify that they will not discriminate on the basis of gender, sex, orientation, race, religion, political affiliation, etc etc etc and so on...not for hiring and not in who they serve. And if they are accused of such they can face increasingly costly penalties, up to loss of the exemption and requirement to replay all taxes they were exempt from in previous years, or even the loss of their business license.

That's if they are ESSENTIAL.

But a non-essential business, like a wedding cake bakery, in a competitive marketplace, should be allowed to be bigoted if they want, and all that means is they should face the music in terms of bad reviews online, boycotts, spread of bad word of mouth. In other words, "cancel culture"...except that other people who agree with them, will probably go buy from them. If it crosses the line into doxxing, harassment and death threats against owners, that should be criminally prosecuted. That's going too far and it is wrong.

Has Chick-Fil-A gone out of business? Hobby Lobby? No. Because as much as the LGBTQ+ community has spread the word of what they stand for, there are plenty of others who either support their position, or else have decided that their patronage isn't political and they don't care as long as they can get a good chicken sandwich and some waffle fries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates