Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 02:49 PM

1,348 posts, read 706,226 times

Advertisements

with the protests the virus trump etc usa is sucking

Old 06-15-2020, 03:22 PM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Shooting an unarmed fleeing suspect in the back is not justified. Resisting arrest is not a killing offense, regardless of how much you might like it to be. The police have been telling us a laser is non lethal, they cannot now tell us the officer was in serious danger. The coroner's ruling is Homicide.
The taser may be non-lethal, but it could certainly have incapacitated the police officer. At that point the drunk could have taken the police officer's gun, and, well, you can imagine the rest.

I would fully expect and support a police officer to shoot someone who is firing a taser at them. I mean really, who does that??

Old 06-15-2020, 04:17 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,233,580 times
A taser is still a weapon, therefore you are not 'unarmed' by definition.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:31 PM

139 posts, read 151,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
The taser may be non-lethal, but it could certainly have incapacitated the police officer. At that point the drunk could have taken the police officer's gun, and, well, you can imagine the rest.

I would fully expect and support a police officer to shoot someone who is firing a taser at them. I mean really, who does that??

Exactly, who does that?

It's the 'soft bigotry of low expectations' that makes people who would never think of fighting the cops or anything close to what this guy did themselves, and likely no one in their circles would do it either, but they give this guy a pass because ______?

Old 06-15-2020, 04:40 PM

3,154 posts, read 2,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
A taser is still a weapon, therefore you are not 'unarmed' by definition.
This is probably going to make a few heads explode, but do you really want to know why the Atlanta Wendy's guy was shot? Because of George Floyd. Seriously, look at the video with the two cops struggling to cuff the perp. One cop was trying to control the perp's left arm, and the other cop was right behind the perp, with the perfect opportunity to put him in a choke-hold. But he couldn't, largely because of Floyd (I don't know if his department has a ban on choke-hold, so if it does, I withdraw my Floyd observation). This is why cops use choke-holds to begin with - BECAUSE THEY WORK - they allow a smaller person to control a larger, stronger one, and this is why they are used in MMA, because they are effective. If you can control someone's head, you can control the rest of their body. Now, if they are used for too long a period, they can be fatal, because they typically cut off blood to the perp's brain, or air to their lungs - which will simply cause them to pass out, at which time you apply the cuffs, and release the choke. What happened to Floyd was highly improper, since he was already cuffed.

So, we as a society have to decide what we want - do we want big, strong, drunk, violent guys to dictate whether or not they are taken into custody, or do we equip cops with the right tools such that they can take down perps that are big, strong, drunk and violent, without having to resort to lethal force? Do you want to pay for five cops to show up to every call automatically? This is especially pertinent since mostly smaller, physically weaker females are becoming cops now - and when this happens, they are typically the first to draw a weapon, because they know they are at a larger disadvantage against stronger men. So maybe we need to equip all cops with "beanbag shotguns", or electrified nets, or much stronger tasers, which all have a greater possibility of lethality. And if a suspect shows the first sign of non-compliance, they get a three-ounce beanbag to the leg - and even THAT'S not enough to stop someone on PCP. Why do you think six cops stood on top of Rodney King with batons? Because when he resisted, the tasers they used had no effect, he just ripped them out of his chest. Personally, I don't WANT the cops to be expected to have to "fight" with arrestees, many, many of them are injured doing so, and we have to pay their medical bills - it just isn't fair to ask them to put their teeth (or lives) at risk every time they make an arrest. So maybe cities need to be split up into precincts where the occupants can vote on what level of force is allowed, and the Bad Guys can then use that to decide what neighborhoods to victimize. Personally, I am going to vote to give the cops in my neighborhood the right to handle big, strong, drunk and violent criminals EXACTLY the way the Atlanta Wendy's guy was handled. Not only did the cop who shot him do the right thing, he was thrown under the bus for being fired - he should get a friggin' medal for being a good shot.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:51 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,585,979 times
Protests part XXXX, this could go on for a very long time.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:14 PM

30,143 posts, read 11,778,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
But there are too many cases where it is not necessary.

Friday evening I was driving to the grocery store and was listening to a police leader (missed the very beginning, so don't know if he was the sheriff or what, but the was leading the police department) being interviewed about a black man that was submitted to the same thing that killed George Floyd...and died...and the officer continued kneeling on his neck for something like 8 minutes AFTER HE WAS DEAD. And it was all on body cam, which they decided that the grand jury didn't need to see.

A perp being in the wrong does not justify the cop being in the wrong.

Yes but acting aggressively towards police officers knowing they might overreact and kill you should be enough to not act aggressively towards police officers. I am a white guy with zero criminal record I would never pull anything like that.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:54 PM

6,701 posts, read 5,930,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dav51lin View Post
with the protests the virus trump etc usa is sucking
Sorry you're having such a hard time.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:26 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,356,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't watched the video, but this looks senselessly escalated. He initially offered to leave his car and walk home. Then the police escalated. Why? It seems he wasn't driving he was just drunk in public. They had his information, his license and vehicle information. Why not wait to handle the next day? Take his keys? Why did he need to get arrested then? Or arrested at all? Mailm a citation and be done with it.

The problem is that these minor issues get escalated to shots fired. That makes zero sense.
Drunk driving is not minor. He was asleep at the wheel, so he was driving while drunk. It’s not as if he was sitting on a park bench. He could have easily killed someone on the way home. If they didn’t arrest him then, when do you suggest they do it? Same with murder. Catch them in the act, let the murderer go home and get to the arrest at a more convenient time. Ludicrous.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:12 PM

10,347 posts, read 8,564,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I haven't watched the video, but this looks senselessly escalated. He initially offered to leave his car and walk home. Then the police escalated. Why? It seems he wasn't driving he was just drunk in public. They had his information, his license and vehicle information. Why not wait to handle the next day? Take his keys? Why did he need to get arrested then? Or arrested at all? Mailm a citation and be done with it.

The problem is that these minor issues get escalated to shots fired. That makes zero sense.
Your first sentence reveals you are simply using this as a way to support your idea that he was needlessly shot.
You admit you didn’t watch the video, but are drawing conclusions on what you’d like to believe.
Why wouldn’t you watch the video first and have a better picture of what happened and then try to draw your conclusions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates