Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 08:21 PM

35,075 posts, read 31,302,097 times

Advertisements

If you're looking in terms of environmental impact and killing some "excess" humans, absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2020, 08:39 PM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Too much population? In total or just in dense big cities? I agree with the later not the former. Lots of empty space in just NM.

Don't you love it when the crowd that lectures us all to live in dense cities and use mass transit, tells us 25% of you need to due it's too crowded lolol or you take too much food?

Old 04-22-2020, 11:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
I'm sorry OP you lost me with concerts and most sporting events. I'm guessing you just don't like them. That's ok, you do you.

Watching concerts at home don't work. I think my first Bon Jovi show in 2008 Jon didn't even need to sing "Livin' on a Prayer" after singing the "Ohhhh we're..." You cannot do that at home. I love Dropkick Murphy's but there is something to singing along with the band, and the rest of the crowd that is indescribable. The same thing happened when I saw Nickelback and they went into "Hotel California" and everyone sang along. The Used did that too with "Wonderwall" and then the lead singer said "I hate Osais" (in more colorful language.) Shinedown played "Numb" over the loudspeaker when I saw them (the two year of Chester's death) and EVERYONE even my brother who isn't a Linkin Park fan sang along with the track. Then you talk about metal and punk shows and the pit is something you can't do at home, especially socially distant. The only thing I don't miss with concerts, bong resins in the atmosphere. I swear when I came back from Rockstar Disrupt tour last year seeing The Used,

As for sports and other live events (like pro-wrestling) again you are wrong. Baseball I hate watching on TV, in the stadium it is fun. I also don't particularly like basketball but I LOVE going to Phoenix Mercury games for some reason. I wouldn't do NBA, it is too offense heavy, but WNBA and college is more my speed and defense good. Hockey I love going to games and it is my favorite sport, I cannot be bothered watching on TV anymore. I love the chants and it don't translate to TV. Soccer, half the fun is the hooligan chants of "I believe that we will win", drunkenly doing the guitar-line of "Seven Nation Army" and hearing "You're gonna get your bonkin' head kicked in." NASCAR besides how loud it gets, nothing like feeling the cars whip past you. Pro-wrestling is going on with no fans and there is a thing of the chants missing (I don't hate it as much as others do.)

The only sport that the presentation at home is better than the in arena are is the NFL or college (American) football games. I think that is because for the price, it is too much to go to a game and too much of a hassle compared to other sports. That said, IFL (an indoor league) is fun to go to games for. I went to three just last year, two playoff games. IFL is like football but in a hockey or basketball arena. Better high up sightlines than NFL stadiums.

That said, I'm not sure how fast I'll "get back into it" with going to concerts or sporting events and it isn't just economically. I mean I am supposed to see Nickelback with STP in September and so long as there isn't a conflict, I will likely see the Monster Jam All Star Challenge, but beyond that maybe All Elite Wrestling if they come to Phoenix. Why, it isn't worth it when we don't have a vaccine. I'm still planning to go to Disney World and maybe a Disney Cruise (more on the fence) in June 2021 but that's it. And trust me, I see about a concert every year and do a lot of hockey games (this year I lagged and only did three but I have seen all 31 NHL teams.)

If you don't like being in venues with thousands of other people, don't go. Nobody is forcing you. I just think the live experience for many events and sports is better than sitting at home.

Old 04-23-2020, 01:52 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Too much population? In total or just in dense big cities? I agree with the later not the former. Lots of empty space in just NM.

Don't you love it when the crowd that lectures us all to live in dense cities and use mass transit, tells us 25% of you need to due it's too crowded lolol or you take too much food?
As a city dweller for all my adult life, I would like to respond to this. My first question is, who "lectured" you all to live in dense cities? I've never heard that before, and I don't know any city dweller who would say a thing like that. I'd love to know the source of this statement.

I'd also like to say that we city dwellers realize that this lifestyle is not for everyone. Families usually gravitate to the suburbs, and country people prefer the rural lifestyle. And that's OK. Live where you like and move if you don't. That's the American way. No one's trying to force anyone else to live in dense cities.

Old 04-23-2020, 03:53 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
My daughter finished university here in Sydney and as young Australians do, got on a plane for Canada. She worked and travelled, went to the UK, went travelling in Europe. Travelled alone at the age of 23 for a month in Turkey.

We talked, we Skyped, we knew what she was doing. But I longed to touch her, to just feel her arm, to embrace her. I waited eighteen months for that and I still remember her running into Heathrow that day to greet us. A few years later she was once again in the U.K., married and working there. Rang to say our first grandchild was on the way. I could not stop crying as I knew how I would miss the human touch. That I would miss out on lots of hugs and seeing my grandchild face to face as much as I would like.

No amount of online contact substitutes, for me, with the real thing. It was my morning when I usually go to a language group. Using Zoom is too difficult for me as I still use a lot of context cues. And having lunch after is one of the many reasons I enjoy my usual group.

Yes, it is nice in Sydney having so little traffic. I agree much business travel could be trimmed.
It is really strange when a plane flying overhead is now a conversation point.

But there is no way most people I know want to live in a virtual world.

Old 04-23-2020, 04:00 AM

21,544 posts, read 8,725,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Yes, it is nice in Sydney having so little traffic. I agree much business travel could be trimmed.
It is really strange when a plane flying overhead is now a conversation point.

But there is no way most people I know want to live in a virtual world.
That's so true. We human beings are tribal creatures by nature. That was a nice story about your daughter, MarisaMay. (And for the person upthread who scoffed at the idea of leaving the earth to mere animals, well, hey. We are animals, too. Social animals.)

Old 04-23-2020, 04:31 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,410,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
As a city dweller for all my adult life, I would like to respond to this. My first question is, who "lectured" you all to live in dense cities? I've never heard that before, and I don't know any city dweller who would say a thing like that. I'd love to know the source of this statement.

I'd also like to say that we city dwellers realize that this lifestyle is not for everyone. Families usually gravitate to the suburbs, and country people prefer the rural lifestyle. And that's OK. Live where you like and move if you don't. That's the American way. No one's trying to force anyone else to live in dense cities.
Really? You have not read the CD posts where suburban dwellers or rural dwellers are not too smart to live in McMansions where they have to drive everywhere? You know where only city dwellers are hipsters and cool and concerned about the planet?

I find your claim hard to believe. Perhaps you are to indoctrinated you do not see the truth when it hits you in the face daily

Old 04-23-2020, 08:19 AM

16,073 posts, read 21,148,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post

Force might be the wrong word, but there are plenty of articles and CD posts about the 'evils' of car-centric living and how bad it is for the planet. How 'right minded' people should live in a dense city.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:41 AM

24 posts, read 30,047 times
If this pandemic causes people to have more respect for animals than it is a good thing or at least one good thing came out of it. But I doubt that will happen. In a few years endangered species will be slaughtered and eaten at the same rates.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:45 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s been evidence that pollution is reducing. Shouldn’t we take a step back and be objective? If this shows how we are trashing the planet then what good are humans to the planet? It’s an honest question. And isn’t social distancing nice for a change? Or for those that don’t go to a job now. Isn’t that nice? All I’m saying is why don’t we take a step back and look at the big picture?************

Let me ask you. What is so great about socializing too closely and going out? Stay home is the new motto. It used to be stay drug free and don’t smoke. Now it’s stay home. Like you’ve heard, this is our new normal.
If you don't like people too much and believe in saving the planet for it's own sake rather than a spaceship for humans you are on to something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates