Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2020, 11:07 AM

7,891 posts, read 11,415,814 times

Advertisements

Our planet is just one a billions. What makes it important it human life as we know it can be supported on this planet. If no man is here living on this planet it is just one of a thousand that could support life as we know it.

I do not see man dying off due to CV19 making this planet better as a place only animals enjoy. Not even close in my mind.

You may believe that a clean earth might allow humans to evolve again from amoeba. So earth made man? But if earth is so good and man is so bad how did a good planet evolve a bad man?

This earth and our solar system are powerful and man is pretty small by comparison. This earth overcame destruction from severe volcanic activity and being struck by large meteors and had the power to create man with a mind and intellect far greater than animals from essentially nothing? Yet this massive powerful planet can not over come fuel burning by the man it created? How did our earth become so weak? Or how did small man become so large he can over come all of earth's natural capabilities? I think you feel man is the center of all things evil and not many good things. I think you have an overstated view of mans strength and an understated view of our planets capabilities to cope and sustain and recover.

None of this means we should abuse earth nor mankind. When I hear of theories that ignore the suns impact on our climate on earth I am a skeptic of those theories as sun spot activity in my view clearly impacts earth's climate significantly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2020, 11:28 AM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
The best way for this pandemic to help the world is to neuter the poor, the criminals and degenerates. If they stop reproducing some way then this pandemic was well worth it. Otherwise it did nothing other than delay the inevitable end of this planet by humans.

Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 AM

9,100 posts, read 6,324,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Well, if we are going to get philosophical for a minute, let me say this planet would probably be better off if we humans suddenly all disappeared from the face of the earth. Nature would take over and fix a lot of the problems we have caused, like pollution and scarring the face of the planet with unnatural structures. There would be no H Bombs, no wars, and no ravaging the resources, like we humans have always done.

Our little human experiment has been an ecological disaster, instead of enriching the earth, we have dragged it down to the point where it is now fighting back.
What would nature do about man-made chemicals and substances that never existed in nature? That is the concern of mine. Can nature recover from the conversion of natural substances into man-made substances or is that damage entirely irreversible?

Old 04-21-2020, 11:44 AM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
The best way for this pandemic to help the world is to neuter the poor, the criminals and degenerates. If they stop reproducing some way then this pandemic was well worth it. Otherwise it did nothing other than delay the inevitable end of this planet by humans.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect the wealthy, powerful, and somewhat highly functioning segment of the human population has done more to degrade the earth than the poor or "degenerates". I'm making the assumption that by degenerate you mean the unintelligent and incapable. We all know that an environmental degenerate could be purposefully so.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:19 PM

2,605 posts, read 3,404,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect the wealthy, powerful, and somewhat highly functioning segment of the human population has done more to degrade the earth than the poor or "degenerates". I'm making the assumption that by degenerate you mean the unintelligent and incapable. We all know that an environmental degenerate could be purposefully so.
Oh by degenerates I meant the wealthy as well. There are plenty of rich people that have done more harm for this planet than good and if they were to go away the world would be a much better place.

Old 04-21-2020, 01:33 PM

1,056 posts, read 726,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
There’s been evidence that pollution is reducing. Shouldn’t we take a step back and be objective? If this shows how we are trashing the planet then what good are humans to the planet? It’s an honest question. And isn’t social distancing nice for a change? Or for those that don’t go to a job now. Isn’t that nice? All I’m saying is why don’t we take a step back and look at the big picture?
The environment thing is a good thing, but I disagree that social distancing is "nice for a change". Humans are very social animals.

Quote:
What is so great about going out into civilization anyways? Even before this happened, most people were just on their phones anyways. Do you really miss the packed subways and the endless traffic? Didn’t that get old? I feel like we were living in The Matrix. What’s so great about that life?

Just please hear me out. Most people do not interact anymore outside the house. It’s a different time. And do you really need to go to concerts anymore? Or to basketball games? The best seat in the house is your living room and you can watch on a high def tv.
I'm sure some people are going to agree, but I disagree. Sometimes it can be fun to get out just for the sake of it. Being trapped in the house (and immediate surroundings if weather's nice) is no fun if it's prolonged.

Quote:
You have to look at the future and be honest. Self driving cars are coming. You think now jobs are becoming automated well what about 5, 10, or 15 years from now? Most jobs are not needed and money doesn’t exist in the way we think it does. It’s just a system. A flawed one and in the future we’ll have to come up with a better and more practical one. And this pandemic can occur again. We have to stop living in The Matrix. We are beginning to see things for what they are.
Self-driving cars are already a thing. They're just not too widespread yet. I hope they become that way, though; then much higher speed limits could be safe on roads that aren't curvy nor narrow (a former friend even estimated 100 mph), which could make people who want to date or befriend one another but may be a bit too "far" apart for that be "closer" by enough for it to work.

Quote:
The world is quieter, more tranquil and peaceful. We don’t need the hectic lifestyle anymore. You just think you do. That’s the past. The world doesn’t need tons of people going to work and polluting the airs. You see how many people can work from home. Schools don’t need to reopen, we have the internet which is better. We don’t need people traveling to go on business trips. Use Zoom. In a few years we will think that going on a business trip is unthinkable and unnecessary. We won’t even have to travel for vacations due to Virtual reality. Oh yes.
It's not quieter, more tranquil and peaceful. Sudden, hard-to-predict changes are always the talk of the town, always scary and never peaceful. I once again have to agree about the pollution, though; I also agree that people can work from home and learn online.

However, about the virtual reality, maybe not full vacations, but maybe at least be able to grow plants that resemble your desired destination if the climate is suitable and you can order them? Like, people need to get out and enjoy the outdoors; a lack of UV exposure can lead to Vitamin D deficiency and/or awful depression. However, maybe with more online orders, if more people knew that they could grow them and wanted a "beach", they could just build a pond (decorative) or pool (swimming) and plant some Needle Palms or Dwarf Palmettos in Tennessee? Chinese Windmill Palms or Chilean Wine Palms in the Pacific Northwest? Mazari Palms in New Mexico or Utah (or European Fan Palms in warmer parts)? People in those same areas could plant stuff like Norway Spruce (humid climates) or Blue Spruce (arid climates) if they want a more cold feel than their climate usually allows.

Quote:
In a few years, malls and movie theatres will be far and few between. They really aren’t needed. Many types of businesses are going to close. Remember before Facebook and smartphones? Life became different after and people adjusted and started to care more about likes than real life.
This has been coming. It's just too bad it has to be so quick and all-at-once. Most of us aren't accustomed to rapid change. All this on top of my other problems and the already-negative political climate often makes me wish I'd die in my sleep.

Quote:
And now with this pandemic we are entering a new way of life just like we did with smart phones and social media. And social media will become virtual so it feels like we are in the same room with other people.

Let me ask you. What is so great about socializing too closely and going out? Stay home is the new motto. It used to be stay drug free and don’t smoke. Now it’s stay home. Like you’ve heard, this is our new normal.
Although this is completely unrelated to the social aspect of it, another problem is that we'd have weak immune systems. If we're not exposed and immunized to pathogens, even minor illnesses like the flu, strep and this COVID could be a lot more deadly for those who still somehow catch it. We need the strength to fight things off, and sometimes the only way to get the strength is to face the enemy. Although I'm not saying this is a bad thing for ALL people - just that it could be in many cases if the person is eventually exposed to a pathogen.

As for the social aspect, that could work in some cases, but ONLY some cases.

It could very well work if you want to play video games together. Maybe even those who want to draw together. However, this could have a very negative impact on people like me who don't like much else and feel the need to be actually accompanied for some other (usually psychological) reason. If one or both of a potential romantic couple had the weakness I do, and the other didn't feel like showing up in person despite the romantic inclination, this could be VERY bad for the unlucky one's mental health (see final paragraph).

It wouldn't be a substitute for people who are sporty, into board games, into pets, into fishing, into hunting, etc. though. You rarely need large or even midsized groups for most of those things (except the sports thing) anyways; a few friends or even a single friend may suffice.

Also, last but not least - and this is my BIGGEST point and biggest concern - it wouldn't allow romantic nor sexual relationships if you stayed physically apart. What good would a romantic relationship be without snuggling? Kissing? Holding hands? Rubbing forearms, backs, noses, etc.? People need affection. I can't take it from anyone without it being romantic, and my dating pool is already limited by my location, sexuality, type and narrow interests. As with witnessing the world crashing down and things changing so rapidly, this too makes me wish I'd die overnight; I've already struggled to find a boyfriend for FORTY MONTHS now, and my hopes of maybe meeting someone in a year or less (I'll be 18 in March 2021) are being ruined. I'm probably not even close to the only one who feels this way.

EDIT: Also, your post only addresses one side of the situation anyways. If people stayed in, how would they get groceries? Get haircuts? Try on clothes? Get dentist and eye appointments? All of those things are very important.

Last edited by Sun Belt-lover L.A.M.; 04-21-2020 at 01:45 PM..

Old 04-21-2020, 01:55 PM

2,234 posts, read 2,406,612 times
That seems like an incredibly boring and lonely existence to me. No thanks.

Old 04-21-2020, 02:39 PM

1,485 posts, read 955,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
Let me ask you. What is so great about socializing too closely and going out? Stay home is the new motto. It used to be stay drug free and don’t smoke. Now it’s stay home. Like you’ve heard, this is our new normal.
Well, for starters, going out dancing or to the bar to socialize make it easier to get laid. Dating apps are a dud for males because females use the dating apps to get their attention fixes and to screw guys over without really giving up their goodies.

I like to go stores and the mall because I like to actually touch and try on the things I may want to buy. Purchasing stuff online is ok until you have to return what you purchased.

How in the hell is everyone supposed to stay home all the time? How will anyone go out and apply for jobs or go to work?

As for schooling, youth could probably benefit from keeping away from the public government indoctrination camps where they learn to become docile slaves.

Really the only thing I like about this covid situation is getting back some of my money the government confiscated from me through the years for taxes.

KEEP THE MONEY FLOWING INTO MY ACCOUNT UNCLE DON!

Was hoping this crap would hold off until after my lifetime. But the things you read in science fiction novels are happening here and now times 20.

I'd rather get back to life as it was in December 2019.

Why can't we resume normal activity and just treat whoever gets sick? Besides, even when you've tested positive you're not taken seriously until you show signs of respiratory distress.

Let's get back to normal and whatever happens happens.

Old 04-21-2020, 06:07 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,547,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
Well, for starters, going out dancing or to the bar to socialize make it easier to get laid. Dating apps are a dud for males because females use the dating apps to get their attention fixes and to screw guys over without really giving up their goodies.

I like to go stores and the mall because I like to actually touch and try on the things I may want to buy. Purchasing stuff online is ok until you have to return what you purchased.

How in the hell is everyone supposed to stay home all the time? How will anyone go out and apply for jobs or go to work?

As for schooling, youth could probably benefit from keeping away from the public government indoctrination camps where they learn to become docile slaves.

Really the only thing I like about this covid situation is getting back some of my money the government confiscated from me through the years for taxes.

KEEP THE MONEY FLOWING INTO MY ACCOUNT UNCLE DON!

Was hoping this crap would hold off until after my lifetime. But the things you read in science fiction novels are happening here and now times 20.

I'd rather get back to life as it was in December 2019.

Why can't we resume normal activity and just treat whoever gets sick? Besides, even when you've tested positive you're not taken seriously until you show signs of respiratory distress.

Let's get back to normal and whatever happens happens.

Whatever happens, happens...
Easy to say if you are feeling good and are healthy.

Say that again when you or a loved one is laying in a hospital bed, hooked up to a ventilator gasping for breath, racked with pain, scared with no family member to hold your hand as you leave this earth.

Old 04-21-2020, 07:08 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
You made a bunch of different points, so I'll address them because I agree and disagree depending on which one.

Beyond that, I think you either "get it" or you don't when it comes to some people's idea of social interaction. Maybe I'll just have to chalk that up to introvert versus extrovert and say I don't get it. I hate concerts. The last concert I went to was Coldplay, probably my favorite band, and I didn't even pay for the tickets, my dad had them and they were great seats, so I went for free. I wouldn't pay anything for a concert. Although the lighting and production are often really impressive, the actual musical quality is much worse than what I'd get at home. It's objectively just not as good. Sometimes, the singer has to yell over the crowd, which happened to me with Evanescence, the singing was so horrible because she simply couldn't sing like normal over these idiots yelling, so it sounded awful. None of the notes sounded quite right from the musicians, either, there's always just something a little bit off about it all. I have two separate $5,000 speaker setups for movies / TV, they can play music just fine too, I'd rather listen on my home systems than any concert. I don't see the "crowd" as a positive, but a massive negative to the experience in general. I don't like being bumped, I don't like drunken morons trying to "sing along" to the expensive concert, and more than that my god how can you enjoy sitting there doing NOTHING but listening to music for HOURS on end?! I can't really tolerate even 5 minutes of just listening to music, it's something that is meant to be enjoyed in the background. You have music on when you're lounging by the pool maybe, or when you're cleaning your bedroom or living room or something, you don't just sit there with nothing to entertain you but some flashing lights and music. I am so insanely bored every time I'm at a concert it's crazy to me that people with minimum wage jobs I know will blow all of their money on... concerts.

As big of a sports fan as I am, and I am a HUGE sports fan with a collection of memorabilia over $10,000, and I follow all 4 major North American sports plus NCAA football, basketball, and baseball, and I occasionally watch golf, I STILL have very little desire to go to games in person. I have, many times, thanks to my dad's season tickets for the Blazers, but they are also courtside tickets, so they're arguably better than watching from home on your TV. That being said, that's kind of how high my standards are set at this point -- if it's not one of the best seats in the house, I don't want to go. My 85" TV is simply a better viewing experience. Every time I come home from a game, I have some friend say, "How about that crazy pass from (whoever) for the score?!" I have no idea what they're talking about, because how could I? I saw the play ONE TIME and I'm barely aware of who's even on the ice / court / field at that moment. It's just so much better to watch at home and have the replay shown 5 times, another 2 times at intermission, again after the game, and the play is analyzed from different angles so that I know exactly what happened. When there's confusion about an officiating decision, you'll never know in the arena. Ever. You are left trying to ask someone near you if they have cell reception and if they understand what's happening? Because god forbid they let us know in the arena. And I'm supposed to pay $100 to $300 for a ticket to a game (or more) for that experience?! I could buy like 5-10 video games for that price that provide dozens of hours of entertainment, and watch the game at home for free while I work out. That's the other thing, I don't want to be confined to doing nothing but watching the game, I like to work out during games so I'm doing something productive at the same time.

As long as I can remember, my first instinct with any place that I have is, "How can I get whatever it is I need to get to make sure I don't have to leave the house?" Whether that's home gym equipment, more storage space for food, or whatever else, I want my house to be almost entirely self-sufficient for entertainment and productivity.
I thought o was the only one who just doesn’t get the appeal of concerts. I find them so boring. Same with going out to listen to music. We sit there with our friends and listen and the whole time I’m thinking “is this it?”. So boring. I also dislike live music, I wish pandora had an option to skip or ban all live music for those of us who prefer that option.

I enjoy sporting events if I’m in good seats. But I’m not willing to pay over $50 for a sporting event and I’m not sitting in the nose bleeds- so I usually watch them at home. I’ve always said the same thing, why would I pay money to sit so far away that I can barely see the game when I could just watch it from the comfort of my living room?

I feel the same way about movies- I hate going to the movie theater. My house is so much more comfortable. I can stretch out on my couch, put on pjs, use a blanket if I get cold.

I miss our friends and some get together a. But I’ve enjoyed the slow down immensely. It’s been great for my mind and my family. I still put in a ton of hours for work, but a lot of that time is thinking time- a luxury I never had before. I can think about problems and research and find good solutions. wearing yoga pants and sweatshirts everyday is a giant plus too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates