Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2015, 12:56 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,188,113 times

Advertisements

1-3 years in prison for a woman who solicits abortion.

5-10 years in prison for an attempted self abortion. Intent to abort would have to be proven to avoid false convictions for unintentional miscarriage.

Life without parole for a successful self abortion. Again, intent to abort proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Life without parole with hard labor for any abortionist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2015, 01:16 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,932,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Castration for the father. No more unwanted pregnancies for him!
You could prove that he was the father, but you could never prove that he approved the abortion. The burden would rest with the mother, as usual.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAappraiser View Post
You could prove that he was the father, but you could never prove that he approved the abortion. The burden would rest with the mother, as usual.
"Aiding and abetting" and conspiracy to commit a crime are proved and punished all the time. An anti-abortion law could be written to punish co-conspirators.

Old 11-24-2015, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
1-3 years in prison for a woman who solicits abortion.

5-10 years in prison for an attempted self abortion. Intent to abort would have to be proven to avoid false convictions for unintentional miscarriage.

Life without parole for a successful self abortion. Again, intent to abort proven beyond reasonable doubt.

Life without parole with hard labor for any abortionist.
No punishment for a father involved in helping to procure an abortion? What about any other person who helps by driving or paying for the procedure?

Points to you for laying it out there. It's important to know what making abortion illegal would look like.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:25 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If the Supreme Court were to find that a woman did not have a constitutional right to abortion and individual states moved to make it illegal, how should the crime be punished?
I'm not an attorney, I'm just stating my opinion as a layman who has read the laws of my home state, Texas.

Abortion should be charged as capital murder, because the offense would be committed in exchange for remuneration, and also because the victim would be < 10 years of age.

Attempt, conspiracy, and/or solicitation charges should be applied where applicable.

Old 11-24-2015, 06:42 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,164,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The provider? Jail.
Should the provider's medical license should be revoked, as well?

Old 11-24-2015, 10:27 AM

1,599 posts, read 1,809,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The way it's set up, it will already be documented that they're doing it for an incomplete or missed abortion (technical term for when your body is trying to miscarry but there are still pieces left after the baby is dead).

You don't just do d&cs. There is always a documented reason. In the circumstance of a pregnant woman, the d&c would be occurring BECAUSE the fetus was no longer viable. It's just a given.
And because all procedures required a reason for it being done for documentation and billing purposes ( not to mention on the consent form), there would already normally be proper documentation of the timeline.
Yes I understand all that, I'm just bringing it up because even though a D&C would still be legal, doctors would want to protect themselves. If they have a sudden increase in D&C's just by sheer coincidence, anyone from a nurse or medical biller could report that as suspicious activity (preforming abortions under the guise of D&C's) Or if for any reason a patient becomes angry and blames the doctor for the loss or claims he/she aborted it without sufficient evidence that the pregnancy was over, how will the doctor defend him/herself? Even with a consent form (which could be falsified), they could still be held accountable if the patient claims she didn't fully understand the procedure.

This example comes to mind. Abortion is was legal up to 20 weeks in this instance, but the doctor's still wouldn't preform their own recommendation, because it was too gray an area and the doctor's weren't willing to put themselves at risk of breaking the law. I know in this instance the fetus still has a heartbeat, but when the law becomes too invasive, doctor's may second guess things or be hesitant in order to protect themselves and their practice is all I'm saying.

https://medium.com/@charlesv/denied-...b67#.gwy0u138y

ETA: In scenario from the article, the woman had multiple appointments with various doctor's who all concluded, and it was well documented, that what inevitably happened was going to happen, yet they still refused to preform the procedure to protect themselves. Instead they sent her home to labor for days on end until the problem resolved itself naturally, putting her through needless suffering and emotional trauma.

Last edited by Pennies4Penny; 11-24-2015 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-24-2015, 10:59 AM

215 posts, read 185,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
If the Supreme Court were to find that a woman did not have a constitutional right to abortion and individual states moved to make it illegal, how should the crime be punished?

PLEASE DO NOT LET THIS DEGENERATE INTO A DISCUSSION OF WHETHER ABORTION SHOULD BE LEGALIZED OR NOT.

Would you support a prison term for the woman? The man who fathered the child? The provider?

If so, what length of term for each party?

If the woman or couple has other children at home, should punishment be less?

Should it be punishable by death?
If a woman has an illegal abortion, I think the proper penalty for that would be that there ought to be an alien abduction where alien embryo gets injected into her body so that she'd give birth to an advanced alien-human hybrid

Old 11-24-2015, 11:01 AM

215 posts, read 185,547 times
Don't have sex
Don't have kids
Problem solved? I guess not, right ? Why are people still fighting about this?
Why aren't people smart? Freedom to be dumb?

Don't get impregnated
What if you're raped against your will?
Call the police and do an incident report
Go down to the Pharmacy, get the whatever pill, and bill the government for your trouble
Have a little cry, get some therapy (hopefully inexpensive), some ice cream, and you're back in business kicking ass or whatever you do

Old 11-24-2015, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
If a woman has an illegal abortion, I think the proper penalty for that would be that there ought to be an alien abduction where alien embryo gets injected into her body so that she'd give birth to an advanced alien-human hybrid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabeliber View Post
Don't have sex
Don't have kids
Problem solved? I guess not, right ? Why are people still fighting about this?
So do you want to see women/men/providers criminally punished or not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates