Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 02:37 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

I once met a pet Cheetah. He was taking up the back of a Falcon station wagon. I walked up and introduced myself. He licked my hand and I scratched his ears. The cat and I were enjoying each other when the owner arrived in a great panic and said, "Most people won't get near the cheetah."

I responded with, "I am not most people." We talked about his pet/companion. The cheetah liked to harass the neighborhood dogs until they got used to him.

I prefer cats as I understand their independent attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 06:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
One word answer..."WOOF!".

Old 04-20-2015, 06:32 AM

576 posts, read 421,982 times
Cats because of their low maintence, that said I love dogs too, I used to have an amazing black lab years ago.

Last edited by wolfloon; 04-20-2015 at 06:41 AM..

Old 04-20-2015, 06:39 AM

11,412 posts, read 7,798,329 times
Love dogs, avoid cats due to allergies and general dislike.

Old 04-20-2015, 09:51 AM

36,494 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theropod View Post
None.

I'd rather have a goat or a pig.
LOL. I have those too and would choose pig over goat.

Dog for me. I have and always had both but I just am a dog person.
Dogs like to run and play and go for rides.
Dogs are loyal and attentive and willing to protect you.
Dogs can be taught things.
Dogs IMO can be in tune with your emotions and appear to care.

Cats, not so much.
Cats jump onto your counter and eat your food.
Cats stick their bunghole in your face.
Cats want to lay on your head when you sleep.
I don't do litter boxes.

Old 04-20-2015, 10:44 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrishuff View Post
My wife and our four kids were thinking about a pet and started looking at pet stores for what we wanted. The next few months when I was leaving my part-time job at night. An announcement came over the p.a. system that a (new born) pet was found in the parking lot. Out of curiosity I went to see what was going on. After two hours no one claimed the pet. A couple of the people holding the pet new I was in the market for a pet. They suggested I take the pet and gave me advice on what to do and not to do as an owner. I took the pet home and called my wife in advance and stated I was bringing a surprise home. When I got home the kids and her were waiting near the front door. I hid the pet in my zip up winter coat and walked in the house and they replied "whats the surprise?" I stood there just looking at them and slowly they noticed something was moving in my coat. My wife said " oh my goodness what have you done?" My kids motionless and staring at every movement of my coat. I then zipped down my coat a third of the way and the movement stopped. A few seconds later a head popped out and my family was so happy! The pet is a female, we named her the season we found her, the place I work and she carries our last name. The post and comments I've read are very true in the difference in a dog or cat. I made the decision to keep this pet first to help her out, then our need and the opportunity and timing was perfect. We weren't sure if we wanted a dog or cat and now four years later what we accepted into our lives has been perfect. It's almost like a divine placing of this pet into our home and lives. Last, when my friends educated me on the do's and don'ts, they mentioned the first couple of days to sleep with or near the pet for her comfort and adjusting. I ended up sleeping in the basement with the pet for two weeks! Since then and now I'm the mother and when ever I come home she follows me everywhere! lol
So, is she a cat or a dog?

We have had both cats and dogs for 32 years now. My preference though are dogs, but I do like cats, just not as much. I have had mice, hamsters, rabbits, birds, snakes and once a tarantula. I grew up with dogs and cats, got guppies when I was in kindergarten and had fish till I was 20. I have raised turkey, chicken and rabbits. I have 5 dogs one is almost 16, another is almost 3 plus three of her pups that are almost 2 years old, 2 cats one is 19 and her daughter is 18, a rabbit, six chickens, eight cockatiels one I got in 1994 when he was two, 8 parakeets, goldfish in a pond and guppies in a 55 galllon aquarium.

Old 04-21-2015, 07:38 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
Dogs. I like cats and have had a few as pets, but dogs are necessary for my happiness. I've been working with them since I could walk, and the dogs I have had as an adult have been more like extensions of myself than anything else.

Once, when I was thinking about finding a home for a dog I was keeping at my dad's place until my situation changed, a therapist suggested that it was a good thing and that maybe I wasn't even a dog person at all since I had never been without one. I told my best friend who is also a vet and she just snorted. "Yeah, maybe you're not a spleen person either - you don't technically need that. Or maybe you're not an arm person or a leg person. Technically you're fine without those too."

I'm a dog person. Dogs are our evolutionary puzzle pieces - the brains of the two species evolved together. How could I be without one?

Old 04-21-2015, 08:00 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Read my signature line.

Old 04-21-2015, 08:11 AM

2,432 posts, read 2,689,105 times
Dogs. I am not a cat person at all. I just find them boring. I love taking walks with our dog, playing in the backyard with him and having him at home for protection(alert us to anything/anyone around the house) I would consider myself an animal lover, even though I do not prefer cats I don't hate them. I also love horses, though never owned one yet I came close to purchasing a horse but didn't want the financial responsibility at the time. Still, as a pet I choose dogs over cats.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:15 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,984,695 times
I have always been a dog person, never gave cats a second thought. Moved in with my GF about a year ago, she (now we) has a Maine Coon and a Norwegian Forest cat and I actually enjoy them, very comical to watch and play with.

Rommel the Dachshund was not impressed but the 3 have grown to tolerate each other.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates