Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2015, 05:47 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times

Advertisements

Of late, cats. Like both but we have moved a bit within the last two decades and for our purposes cats seem to be more acceptable and portable. Grew up with a dog. Have had dogs in my life several times. The many times we go out of town it is easier to leave a cat for several days than a dog, as we don't have anyone to dog sit for us. Maybe some day we will really settle down for good then we can have one of each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 06:09 AM

1,284 posts, read 1,260,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Rep!

Exactly! I'm so happy I'm not alone in this. That's my experience, too. I've encountered dog lovers who do not appear to be animal lovers in general but instead think dogs have a special right to the planet, and they won't allow to other cute furry animals the right to existence. There are people in the world who consider themselves law abiding citizens who have no problem letting their dogs chase and kill cats. They see the poor cat as tantamount to the rodents it chases, apparently. Plus, there are so many movies that portray cats in a negative light. People should educate themselves. I guess that's why I feel so adamant about telling people why cats make such wonderful pets. I don't want to hear about another redneck who decided Butch needed a new animal chew toy or another little girl who grows us "hating cats" because her mom, aunt, whoever, declawed the cat and was surprised when it got mean!

Plus, people are clueless. I once asked one of classmates who worked at a vet about the procedure for declawing a dog, and she replied with, "We don't do that; I think that would be cruel," but she went on to say that declawing is a pretty routine procedure for cats. Okay, why did she recognize ripping a dog's fingernails out at the roots as cruel and unusual, yet she was perfectly okay with letting the poor kitten suffer? Some dog lovers are flatly clueless. Unfortunately, I'm beginning to think maybe a majority of Americans feel this way about cats. It's time things changed. I too feel like cats need advocates.
People are clueless about cats. Back in the Middle Ages when cats were being indiscriminately killed due to some mass delusion about their mythological link to non-Christian religions, the black plague hit with full force. What people at the time did not realize is that had they allowed the cats to roam freely amongst humans as they already had been doing so for thousands of years, cats single-handedly would've been able to stop the Black Plague. Why? Because cats kill rats, that's why. It has since been proven that rats were carriers of Yersinia Pestis, A.k.a. the bacteria that caused the black plague.

Ironic that the vet who said it's perfectly normal to declaw cats but refused to do so to a dog doesn't even seem to realize that cats need their claws for self-defense, and without those claws, the cat is vulnerable to attack and would likely die if they ever got outside. Dogs don't use claws for self-defense, they use their jaws instead and the strength of their bite. I suspect dogs might need their claws more for balance I suppose...

All of our rescues stay safely indoors where they are protected from the likes of scumbags who would see fit to harm them. The more I read, the more rabid dog lovers really bother me for all the same reasons you mentioned. And just like you, I'm always standing up for cats and telling people how wonderful they are.

Someone has to.

Old 04-23-2015, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Great posts.

I would be one of those "middle-of-the-road libertarian females" who are supposedly content owning both pets, but I have just found myself unable to get into dog ownership. Plus, I know it's not Rover's fault, but humans who love their dogs but actively treat other animals like intruders get under my skin. I know I shouldn't, but I almost feel like handling Rover with the same amount of disrespect that I've seen dog lovers / cat haters display toward the feline kind. Unfortunately, dogs have plenty of advocates who are all too happy to able to spot animal abuse through those canine tainted spectacles. Try to get the dog declawed so that he won't scratch the floor or doors; that's cruel and unusual and the vets refuse to do it (want to get your poor kitty declawed, though, come right in. ) They remain blind to it when its practiced on other animals, though. That's what gets under my skin.

It's like saying that introverts are evil just because they don't display affection toward you the way you are used to receiving affection. Just because I don't talk much doesn't make me a bad person. Sometimes I do go over the top when trying to prove a point and have to focus my energy on more humanitarian endeavors and leave petty squabbles for internet forums, but it just doesn't seem fair. I know life isn't fair, but aren't people smart enough to communicate with other people and find out what's really going on instead of assuming all of the time? I've encountered so much emotional ignorance with people. It makes me feel like just shaking my head. Since I have this experience myself, I tend to sympathize with animals who seem to receive the same treatment.

I am thankful for the Internet, though. It feels like before YouTube, cats were overlooked all of the time in this nation. Now it seems like they have an humble foothold. People can't say things like, "cats don't help people," or "cats can't be trained" without being corrected. I'm at least grateful for that. Cats have a place as the go-to apartment pet, like small dogs. That's better than the times they were only cast as idle troublemakers.
Fellow introvert here. No need to explain yourself because I completely get it

I completely agree with everything you say here. Up to and including the point that I find myself feeling resentful of dogs for every single time I hear of some ridiculous dog person claiming that it's okay to be mean to cats. That veterinarian in Texas Who killed her neighbors cat is a dog owner. You don't want to know what I think should be done in this POS.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:00 AM

701 posts, read 1,691,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiannon67 View Post
No disrespect meant, but this cat person pretty much feels the same about rabid dog people

The fact is, there are different attributes notable in people who like cats versus people who like dogs. It should be no great surprise that neither camp is going to be too fond of the other
None taken. I'm not a "dog person" in the sense that I am describing "cat people." Funny thing is, I'm incredibly introverted, which should make me lean toward cats, I suppose, but I just infinitely prefer dogs (it doesn't help that I'm allergic to cats).

And to the poster who asked about schipperkes: they're a small breed, 12-18 lbs, but they have big dog personalities. Mine hikes with me, chases nasty geese out of the park, kills rodents in my garden for me. They're just stubborn and strong-willed, which is where the toddler thing comes in!

Old 04-23-2015, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campion View Post
None taken. I'm not a "dog person" in the sense that I am describing "cat people." Funny thing is, I'm incredibly introverted, which should make me lean toward cats, I suppose, but I just infinitely prefer dogs (it doesn't help that I'm allergic to cats).

And to the poster who asked about schipperkes: they're a small breed, 12-18 lbs, but they have big dog personalities. Mine hikes with me, chases nasty geese out of the park, kills rodents in my garden for me. They're just stubborn and strong-willed, which is where the toddler thing comes in!
Thing is....by my observations anyway, dog people are more likely to be MEAN to cats, while most cat people will simply ignore dogs. I ignore them, for the most part...unless it's a wiener dog lol. I love those dogs.

This is why I don't like dog people for the most part.

You get a free pass for your allergies

Old 04-23-2015, 07:56 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,311,609 times
Dogs are my choice. They love you even when you are not deserving. They are caring and want to be with you. I just like their disposition, happy, sunny, and not a care in the world. I don't hate cats and would never mistreat one. I have had cats in the past, and I loved them. However, dogs are just my choice.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:19 AM

40 posts, read 34,200 times
A cat would kill you and eat you except for its small size.
A dog would kill you and eat you except for good behavior of both you and the dog.

We humans taste good, by the way.

Old 04-23-2015, 12:46 PM

36 posts, read 36,625 times
Well I am a person who's both before. I got a cat who gave me three kittens. The mother cat got hit by a ten wheeler truck. The three kittens were being "murdered" by my 2 year old niece while I was sleeping (THEY WERE DROWNED IN A WASHING MACHINE WHILE THE MACHINE WAS WASHING MY SISTER'S LAUNDRY).
Then I got a dog instead. But decided after a years of taking him to the vet (because he's pretty much a sickly dog) I just gave him to my ex and move on with my life. Then it was 5 consecutive nights now whenever my door is open some poodle would come over my unit and JUST PEE. (I hate it)
So that's it! I decided I don't like to have pet neither dog or cat. I don't hate them all (Just the one who use my unit as a comfort room). They are cute but I don't want to want to pet them anymore. Maybe just fish someday

Old 04-23-2015, 12:49 PM

822 posts, read 1,284,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
Well, I'm almost afraid to answer after reading the last part of your post ha ha, but generally I am a dog person. I love all animals and have had both all my life and currently, but if I had to choose either or, I would pick dogs. Dogs are just kinda happy-go-lucky, they WANT to be with you, trainable, family oriented, whereas cats can be more aloof, have mood swings and things are more on their terms. Dogs are more along for the ride.

The hard thing about dogs though is they can't be unattended for more than a few hours (work day at most) so if you want to even take a weekend trip, you have to arrange care. A cat you can leave an autofeeder, water and a clean box for a couple days and they'll take care of themselves. Dogs are more high maintenance, cats lower maintenance. Generally dogs integrate into the family; cats you are their servant.
Very succinct and precise analysis. I concur with your write-up.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,958,474 times
It depends on your household, schedule, and lifestyle. Or it SHOULD, anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates