Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2015, 06:34 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I've never heard of that. I don't have a pet right now, but I used to just feed my cats kibble. I never heard a complaint. I did sometimes supplement with wet food, but wet food can get expensive when compared to the dry stuff. I usually saved the wet stuff for sick cats and kittens or when I wanted to treat the cats. Still, I seldom had issues with hairballs and throwing up. I will admit there were even times I supplemented with dog food (which is like feeding a cat junk food). They still turned out okay.
This is a wealth of information.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Cats fed wet are much healthier and feel better.

Kibble is junk.

Do you feel better after eating healthy food, or after a week's diet of only chips and cookies?

Dry food (kibble) is full of carbohydrates. Cats do not require carbohydrates (and in fact, carbs are bad for cats) - they DO require meat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 06:39 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,578,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
First thing the cat did was show him it's arsehole and walk away.

Did you watch the whole video? She acted shocked at first but then greeted him with a happy meow and jumped into his arms.

Last edited by krmb; 04-27-2015 at 07:02 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
This is a wealth of information.

Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition :: healthy cat diet, making cat food, litter box, cat food, cat nutrition, cat urinary tract health

Cats fed wet are much healthier and feel better.

Kibble is junk.

Do you feel better after eating healthy food, or after a week's diet of only chips and cookies?

Dry food (kibble) is full of carbohydrates. Cats do not require carbohydrates (and in fact, carbs are bad for cats) - they DO require meat.
I did supplement with wet food, and I fed the cats scraps when available as well. Plus, these were mostly outside cats, so they were free to catch birds, mice, squirrels, etc. to supplement their diets. It might be a bit different for inside-only cats. I think it's cruel to not let the cat roam at least a little, though, even if it's primarily an inside cat. I would probably have to start buying and breeding feeder mice if I never allowed my cat outside to play and hunt. Hunting is such an integral part of their development. I think that's something the "leash laws for cats" proponents miss.

Last edited by krmb; 04-27-2015 at 06:58 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 07:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,766,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I did supplement with wet food, and I fed the cats scraps when available as well. Plus, these were mostly outside cats, so they were free to catch birds, mice, squirrels, etc. to supplement their diets. It might be a bit different for inside-only cats. I think it's cruel to not let the cat roam at least a little, though, even if it's primarily an inside cat. I would probably have to start buying and breeding feeder mice if I never allowed my cat outside to play and hunt. Hunting is such an integral part of their development. I think that's something the "leash laws for cats" proponents miss.
My neighborhood coyote agrees with you! He thinks all cats should roam free, too. That gives him more dinner options.

I've had duck and rabbit remains in my backyard within the past month, so why not add cat options to that?

Old 04-27-2015, 08:44 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
Quote:
My neighborhood coyote agrees with you! He thinks all cats should roam free, too. That gives him more dinner options.

I've had duck and rabbit remains in my backyard within the past month, so why not add cat options to that?
I have the same issue, so my cats just get the laser light hunting option. lol

Cat person here, no dogs allowed. Witnessed a dog taking half a kids face off when I was younger and I don't care to take my chances trying to find a nice one. Cats can be aggressive but it's more uncommon and due to size less worrisome. Every neighborhood has that dog you look out for and never approach. people have to lock them in a room when people come over, can't walk them, no thanks. I enjoy my neighbors nice ones and that's about it. Plus, all the barking and flies they attract, and your yard stinks like poo. No thanks.

Cat issues are easier to fix to me personally, keep the box clean no smell, keep the cat inside, no irritated neighbor, brush cat, no hair. My cats exterminate for fun, and don't drag their ass across my carpet. Lol

I love dogs if someone else owns them, and....if they are friendly, that's a plus!

Old 04-27-2015, 08:46 AM

939 posts, read 795,234 times
I had dogs for the first 45 years of my life- cats since then. I like dogs, but cats are SOOOO much easier to take care of!

Old 04-27-2015, 09:22 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,058,161 times
I love both cats and dogs, but I have a preference for cats because of their low maintenance and severe sense of independence.

I don't understand people who hate cats. Something is wrong with such a human being.

Old 04-27-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Yikes. I guess it depends on where you live. Maybe leashes are a good option in places that have wild canines to worry about. It's not at all a good idea to let a pet cat roam if it might be in danger of the local wildlife. They still need to go outside and explore, though, even if they have to do it from the safety of a really long lead.

I just didn't see it as an issue. I've had cats accompany me on walks, and I try to wean them off of the litter box, if I can do so, (I don't even notice the smell, but people who come over might ), so I encourage them to explore outside. I usually don't have issues with cats wandering off, unless they are intact males or a neighbor decides to feed them.

Last edited by krmb; 04-27-2015 at 10:12 AM..

Old 04-27-2015, 10:44 AM

1,488 posts, read 1,966,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I love both cats and dogs, but I have a preference for cats because of their low maintenance and severe sense of independence.

I don't understand people who hate cats. Something is wrong with such a human being.
That's why I prefer them as well. Go figure our cat is literally a dog stuck in a cats body. She HAS TO be around people 24/7 or else she gets sad like a dog. She even does the stereotypical dog move of "greeting me at the door when I come home from work and jumping on me." She's constantly trying to lay on me every chance she gets just like a dog would. But what can I do, she part of the family now so just got to deal with it.

On the plus side she does follow commands like a dog and doesn't need to be walked. On the negative side, long vacations are out of the question unless she has a human to socially interact with or else she would fall into depression like a dog.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffon652 View Post
That's why I prefer them as well. Go figure our cat is literally a dog stuck in a cats body. She HAS TO be around people 24/7 or else she gets sad like a dog. She even does the stereotypical dog move of "greeting me at the door when I come home from work and jumping on me." She's constantly trying to lay on me every chance she gets just like a dog would. But what can I do, she part of the family now so just got to deal with it.

On the plus side she does follow commands like a dog and doesn't need to be walked. On the negative side, long vacations are out of the question unless she has a human to socially interact with or else she would fall into depression like a dog.
Some cats are very "dog like." If you ask me, it's just a sign of good socialization. Cats aren't really aloof, unless you teach them to be that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates