Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 07:38 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times

Advertisements

I've got cats. Never set out to have cats, but I took some in for someone who was losing her place and she was going to take them back as soon as she got on her feet. That was in 2005. I've still got two of her three, one since died. My daughter brought home a kitten right after we got the "temporary" cats, and we added him. She grew up, went off to college, got an apartment, got a cat of her own, and then decided to move to China. Guess who has her cat. I have four now.

I do like dogs, too, but they are so much work and you can't leave them alone as you can cats. I can go away overnight and leave out food and litter, even two nights, and the cats are fine. A dog needs to be walked, and that's a problem for me because I have a long commute and work long hours and it wouldn't be fair to a dog.

On the plus side, I live across from a park, and I look out and see my neighbors playing with their dogs and throwing sticks and frisbees and the dogs running around, and it looks like fun.

Maybe when I'm retired I'll have cats and dogs, but for now, I've just got these guys with the pointy ears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 08:57 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,093,286 times
Dogs are better, but I still like cats.

Cats are nice when you have a busy schedule since their pretty self sufficient. Dogs are basically toddlers so their more fun but they can be a hassle if you're busy all the time.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:38 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,791,155 times
I'm a both person. I have two dogs only because one needed to be out of the situation it was in so I rescued him. I've always had a cat and when our precious one passed last May I had this huge hole that needed to be filled. Monsoon came back in December and was the result of irresponsible pet owners. I've known him since he fit in the palm of my hand but John was less then enthusiastic about having another one since his princess left and broke his heart. He finally relented and told me on Christmas day that I could have him. He's 8 months old now and a handful but also very much loved. I guess I'm more then just a both person. I've raised baby ducks and other birds. I've also had a pig and roosters that needed a home. Don't get me started on all the shorties in my life. They're animals in a different way

Old 04-18-2015, 10:43 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I love both but have two cats since my work life isn't conducive to dogs (being gone all day). I wish more would recognize that difference as it's unfair to insist a dog stay home and hold going to the bathroom for 8-9 hours. Try it yourself sometime and see how that goes...

Old 04-18-2015, 11:10 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,005,355 times
I like them both. I don't have cats because I don't want to clean a litter box and it is too dangerous to allow a cat outdoors.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:45 AM

266 posts, read 281,339 times
My dog loves me unconditionally. I already have a house mate that does her own thing, ignores me, and spends hours grooming herself.

Why would I want two such house mates......

Old 04-18-2015, 12:48 PM

22,839 posts, read 6,435,820 times
Have had both, think both are great....right now, empty nesters, we have the one pekingese dog.
At this point (68) we enjoy taking care of a "baby"....when our last peke had to be put down it took me
all of 2 months to realize the house was too empty...this dog is laid back, we are so glad we have
him.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:41 PM

10,113 posts, read 10,965,703 times
We are dog people but have had both dogs and cats. We are down to one dog now but have had as many as 5 dogs and 3 cats at the same time. In addition to prairie dogs, rabbits, birds and hamsters. We have a pet cemetery behind our barn.

We also have a doe and her fawns in our woods. We have no contact with them but they know they are safe in our woods. I cut up apples and lay them out for them since they ate all the apples that fell from our apple trees.

Neighbor has a rescue cat that was a pitiful sight when she rescued him. He is now fat and sassy and visits us every day. Our Boxer tolerates him but I guess we are just dog people.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:04 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,201,954 times
I am an animal lover but I'm also a people person. If an animal I tend to gives back no sense of thanks (like people do) then they go down the list. Cats and most horses are down the list - for purely natural reasons.

A dog recognizes a good master (it's in his genes; in fact, it's outright survival to the domestic dog) and I guess, as a pack animal, you are treated accordingly.

A cat (although some are quite cool) is a solitary animal. A good descriptor is "whatevah".

If a dog runs away and never comes back, he was somehow abused. A cat will sometimes just run away - no particular reason.

Old 04-18-2015, 06:24 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
LOL......this reminds me of the old saying.....

Dogs have owners.....

Cats have servants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates