Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:26 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times

Advertisements

We have all heard of male privilege and even seen it discussed here on CD. But, isn't there also female privilege? If so, what constitutes female privilege? I post this as a serious topic of discussion and not a gender bashing thread. Respectful replies only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 09:46 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,446,745 times
You say we've all heard of male privilege and even seen it discussed here on CD. I don't think I've seen it discussed here. Has it been since you joined? I also think if you wish to discuss something, you need to define it.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
You say we've all heard of male privilege and even seen it discussed here on CD. I don't think I've seen it discussed here. Has it been since you joined? I also think if you wish to discuss something, you need to define it.
In a class I took once, privilege was defined as an "unearned advantage." So, female privilege would be advantages that someone has over others or benefits that one receives by being female. Yes, male privliege has been discussed since i have joined, but unfortunately, such threads often get closed or deleted because the discussions get out of hand due to gender bashing, which is what I'm trying to avoid in this thread! There was a recent thread covering white male privilege in I believe the Politics and Other Controversies forum, but it was closed because of above stated reasons. I believe an intelligent and respectful discussion can be had on this topic, so let's do that here.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:09 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,129,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
We have all heard of male privilege and even seen it discussed here on CD. But, isn't there also female privilege? If so, what constitutes female privilege? I post this as a serious topic of discussion and not a gender bashing thread. Respectful replies only.
Do you mean like I pay when my GF and I go out... Or the fact that women get catered to by "equal opportunity" regulations, or the way women get away with more in the workplace... (none of which really bothers me)

Old 11-10-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Do you mean like I pay when my GF and I go out... Or the fact that women get catered to by "equal opportunity" regulations, or the way women get away with more in the workplace... (none of which really bothers me)
Yes, that could be part of it. Also, I think women have greater social freedom in Western society and face less severe social consequences for breaking social taboos than males do.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Yes, that could be part of it. Also, I think women have greater social freedom in Western society and face less severe social consequences for breaking social taboos than males do.
Yes, but women are women. Take away their beauty and vagina and they have no power. Women are extremely competitive, cruel, and petty towards one another, but it is men that treat them differently just because they are female. Think about it this way, if all men were gay would women have any power or privilege?

Old 11-11-2013, 11:05 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
What constitutes "female privilege" is the fact that they're the ones who give birth to our future generations.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:29 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes, but women are women. Take away their beauty and vagina and they have no power. Women are extremely competitive, cruel, and petty towards one another, but it is men that treat them differently just because they are female. Think about it this way, if all men were gay would women have any power or privilege?
Nice to know how you feel about women...

Old 11-11-2013, 07:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Nice to know how you feel about women...
It's true though.

Old 11-11-2013, 07:53 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,493,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It's true though.
To you it is. But that's likely because you have bad experience with women in your life and I'm sorry about that. The women I have worked with and the women in my life ( including myself ) are not like what you describe. We also have our very own brain to think with too. In other words, looks and vaginas is not what makes us...us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates