Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:02 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
To you it is. But that's likely because you have bad experience with women in your life and I'm sorry about that. The women I have worked with and the women in my life ( including myself ) are not like what you describe. We also have our very own brain to think with too. In other words, looks and vaginas is not what makes us...us.
So what part of my statement do you disagree with? The looks part or the competitive and cruelty part? If the former, do you think men would still give you preferential treatment if you were androgynous? If the latter, are you friends with any females?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:09 AM

5,899 posts, read 5,797,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
We have all heard of male privilege and even seen it discussed here on CD. But, isn't there also female privilege? If so, what constitutes female privilege? I post this as a serious topic of discussion and not a gender bashing thread. Respectful replies only.
If you're talking about laws and/or policies which unfavorably (in theory and/or in practice) favor females, then the current laws and/or policies in regards to abortion and child support are (arguably) a good example of this.

Here is a good video in regards to this:

Hold Men Responsible for the Decisions of Women? - YouTube

I can elaborate more on this if necessary.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times
I'm talking about any benefit or advantage has just by purely female. For example, a woman is more likely to get a lesser punishment than a man for the same crime (there are exceptions). Women can wear mens clothes, etc. Again, I'm not denying that male privilege exists also.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:31 AM

872 posts, read 828,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
To you it is. But that's likely because you have bad experience with women in your life and I'm sorry about that. The women I have worked with and the women in my life ( including myself ) are not like what you describe. We also have our very own brain to think with too. In other words, looks and vaginas is not what makes us...us.
I would agree with you on this. Not all Women use their looks to get things in life. That is shallow, not all Women are shallow.

I think it's to general of a question the OP is asking. Age, location among other things, all play a factor in any 'privilege's'. It is no different with Men. ]

Old 11-12-2013, 11:46 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
I'm talking about any benefit or advantage has just by purely female. For example, a woman is more likely to get a lesser punishment than a man for the same crime (there are exceptions). Women can wear mens clothes, etc. Again, I'm not denying that male privilege exists also.
There really is no advantage Kemba...what are you hoping to hear?
I wouldn't call women wearing a mans clothes as an advantage...for what?
I don't believe the "lesser punishment" bit at all
There's only one advantage, really, and that is that she can choose to give birth if she wants (or not to), whereas a man can't.
It's good that you realize "male privilege" exists, because men have far more privileges in their life than a woman would ever know The guy in the videos wrong when he says "man has been removed from the creation of life". that's absolute bunk., though it's easy to see how many men remove themselves AFTER "the creation of life".

Old 11-12-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
it is men that treat them differently just because they are female.
That's right.... it's not a privilege...and since you can't take away their vaginas, they'll always have that power over people like you who see their shells rather than their substance...

Old 11-12-2013, 12:56 PM

784 posts, read 1,982,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
There really is no advantage Kemba...what are you hoping to hear?
I wouldn't call women wearing a mans clothes as an advantage...for what?
I don't believe the "lesser punishment" bit at all
There's only one advantage, really, and that is that she can choose to give birth if she wants (or not to), whereas a man can't.
It's good that you realize "male privilege" exists, because men have far more privileges in their life than a woman would ever know The guy in the videos wrong when he says "man has been removed from the creation of life". that's absolute bunk., though it's easy to see how many men remove themselves AFTER "the creation of life".
I am wanting to hear discussion on this topic, whether you believe female privilege exists or not. I have not yet watched the video. The reason I believe female privilege exists in the legal world is because I have seen it time and time again. Again, there are exceptions, but many people, especially men are bothered by the idea of sending a woman to prison as opposed to a man. And in an extreme examle, I am convinced that if if Susan Smith, the woman who in the 1990s drowned her two boys in a South Carolina lake and lied to the country about it, had been a man, she would have been put to death several years ago.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:11 PM

Possibly so Kemba..but she wasn't..not because she's privileged..If women are privileged it's because man makes it so..not them...my post #7 answers your first query...I doubt that most of the "privileges" that man afford women are wanted...I don't personally believe women have any more "privileges" than man...maybe less.
I see privileges extended to the males in society far more than to females...Have you ever noticed the banks tellers are almost all women? (here they are ). The only time I see a young man in the bank is when he's being trained to be a manager, or some other post higher up than teller....even though the tellers know more (from experience) than he probably ever will.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:08 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,618,080 times
I think there is female privilege and I really enjoy it.

For example,

If my car breaks down or I am otherwise in distress, people especially men will be more likely to stop and help me.

If I earn less than my partner, no one will look at me funny.

etc.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:26 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
There have always been advantages to being female, and different advantages to being male. Many of these are a matter of informal cultural attitudes. These would be things such as placing the safety of women (and children) first in rescue situations, or assuming that men are more competent decision makers. Since men have traditionally held more social power, most of these, whether they favor women or men, have originated with men.

However, there are also advantages which have become codified within legal statutes or governmental policies. In modern American society, these do favor women in most instances. Aside from language which addresses serving in some very specific military roles, I'm not aware of any gender-specific language or official governmental policies which favor males. The SSS puts males at a disadvantage by requiring only males to register--at the risk of imprisonment and/or fines, along with the loss of legal privileges (such as student loans, welfare benefits, and driver's licenses).

There is a lot of gender-specific language and policy which favors females: VAWA; Office of Women's Health (OWH) programs--which represent only a small part of the governmental health care services available to women; SBA programs available only to female entrepreneurs; the inclusion of white women in affirmative action programs; and numerous additional female-only programs funded by the Department of Education, Department of Labor, The Veteran's Administration, etc. There are no analogous programs for males.

Sometimes, cultural attitudes find their way into the legal and legislative systems, if only unofficially. This can lead to advantage for either sex. Examples would be the disproportionate percentage of male murderers who are executed, to the placing of burdensome regulations on women who seek reproductive services.

There's not much that can be done about cultural attitudes in and of themselves, but we should certainly strive for a society which keeps them out of our official processes; and which initiates gender-neutrality in governmental program funding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates