Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 08:28 PM

16 posts, read 33,323 times

Advertisements

What are the differences between male and female mid-life crisis? Is it depression or a normal transition? What are some coping strategies to beat the challenges of middle age?

Last edited by csmsherry; 04-05-2010 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: change subject line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsherry View Post
What are the differences between male and female mid-life crisis? Is it depression or a normal transition? What are some coping strategies to beat the challenges of middle age?
I'm really not sure what male mid-life crisis is supposed to be, but I could probably claim to be in it. I'm almost 50, married & chugging along well vocationally, and our kids are grown.

Is there something I'm supposed to be feeling here? Because I'm not sure what it is. Am I supposed to be unhappy? Because I'm not. No hankering to step out and have an affair. Life is good.

Now menopause, on the other hand...

Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
In my case it was mostly menopause, physical changes, empty nest syndrome, crazy emotions, rethinking what was important in life and what wasn't, and learning to embrace the future and accept the enevitable.

In my husbands case it was "Oh Hell No! I am NOT getting old! And I will ditch my stable, boring family and run around with single 20-somethings and get some chaos in my life to prove it!".

Needless to say our marriage didn't survive.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,323,086 times
all I know is my dad bought a corvette and a motorcycle for his mid-life crisis

Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,681,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
In my case it was mostly menopause, physical changes, empty nest syndrome, crazy emotions, rethinking what was important in life and what wasn't, and learning to embrace the future and accept the enevitable.

In my husbands case it was "Oh Hell No! I am NOT getting old! And I will ditch my stable, boring family and run around with single 20-somethings and get some chaos in my life to prove it!".

Needless to say our marriage didn't survive.
So sorry to hear that.

I told my wife that I either needed to have an affair, buy a red convertible sports car, or buy a motorcycle.

I knew she's kill me if I had an affair - and neither the affair nor my resulting death appealed greatly to me.

I knew I couldn't afford a new convertible sports car.

So I had no choice but to buy the new motorcycle!

I, of course, explained my reasoning to her after I bought the new cycle.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:46 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
I have friends who call it the last chance with males and the I could be the Bit.. in the mercedes in feamles. males seem to see it as their last chance to be a stud. Feamles seem to think they would the the one in that mercedes if they had married their husbands. most endup worse than they were and find that they are were they should be. Much like people who think that the rich are just lucky.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:01 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I bought a motorcycle during this crisis. I did dumber things during the earlier ones. My tour in 'Nam was nearly an end life crisis. I like having crises every 5 to 7 years or so to stay in practice.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:39 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I don't think a mid-life crisis is required for men or women. If you've been living your life according to your values, then there's no reason for a crisis at mid-point. If you've been lumping along, doing what you think you're "supposed to do," then yeah, maybe a crisis of meaning. I mean, after all, it's obvious with each passing day (and birthday) that your youth is falling further behind you.
As for menopause, well, I guess it depends on the individual. I had no physical anything except a blessed relief from the feeling of being kicked in the stomach every month for 40 years for a function I never had any interest in (and therefore no empty nest to notice).
Anyway, statistical mid-life is a lot earlier than one's 50s. I suspect the "mid-life crisis" is another media/advertising invention, similar to the "biologic clock ticking"- which used to be assumed to be age 30, now is 40. What changed?

Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 PM

At midlife, many people try to "make right” what they perceive to be wrong in their lives. It is the time of “correction” before they’re too old to have a choice, too old to care. It is a journey sometimes called a “midlife transition” but more often referred to as a “midlife crisis.”

Like yourself, not all people experience this mid-life crisis. Midlifers sometimes try to flee their problems through things such as extramarital affairs, or to hide from them, maybe behind a bottle of alcohol. But these "fillers" may only provide temporary relief and will eventually cause much grief.

Finally, midlifers in crisis describe themselves as trapped in a dark tunnel with no light at the end. Fortunately, you can the see light at the end of the tunnel and your direction is clear. This is where your faith has prevailed. At midlife, we must decide what we believe in and struggle toward it even when our progress seems bleak.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:50 PM

I prefer the term "mid-life transition" rather than "mid-life crisis" because it is not all bad. During this mid-life transition, a period of growth can occur also. A mid-life transition can occur between the ages of 35 - 55. This is a time in life were people experience significant life events. Male or female mostly go through the same stages during a midlife transition: shock, denial, depression, anger, and acceptance. But it looks different in both genders. Men go through midlife crisis because they reach a certain age and realize that life is passing them by. Women, on the other hand, reach a certain age and find they finally have the opportunity to do all the things in life she has put off doing while caring for her family and she experiences menopause.

People who live their lives fulfilling their dreams and with a purpose are less likely to experience a transition/crisis at midlife. People who put little thought into what they want out of life and more thought into taking care of others are more likely to experience a transition/crisis at midlife.

Any crisis is an opportunity for growth. If your spouse is a person who is able to look internally and use the changes in a healthy way you will both profit from each other experiences. If your spouse is not a person who is able to do some internal investigation and use the changes he/she is experiencing then, hold on because the ride will get bumpy and you will both suffer the consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates