Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 11:08 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times

Advertisements

I was one of those "busy moms" and I decided to stay home after a few failed attempts at working outside the home with two small children (while I was still married) the reason being is that with two small kids, it seemed like every other day I had to take off due to illness with them or something. The daycare / babysitter fees were killing me and while it was nice to get out and be productive outside the home as well, it just didn't work for my situation at the time.

Since then and since I've been working full time which is now eons... I've talked to tons of employers who do lean on the side that having an employee who is also a mom to small children can be really difficult.

I don't know how much more companies can do to accomodate people in those situations but I feel like as an employee it's always the people with kids at home that take the most time off which makes the workload heavier for everyone else. So I personally don't think any more accomodations, extra pay, etc should be made available to those who do have kids...

I'm sorry and I'm sure I'll take heat for this but I AM a Mom. I've been in that situation...

Old 02-11-2011, 11:16 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
But to say they are antifamily can be unfair because in the end to force a company to pay for so many benefits in the end results in affecting growth and prosperity and the consumer pays more than what he/she should actually pay for a product, take care.
Just exactly what laws forces companies to pay for family (mother) related benefits. The only thing I am aware of is that a company can not fire someone because they are pregnant. Maternity/paternity leave, flex time, daycare are all choices companies make to attract and keep good employees.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I don't know how much more companies can do to accomodate people in those situations but I feel like as an employee it's always the people with kids at home that take the most time off which makes the workload heavier for everyone else. So I personally don't think any more accomodations, extra pay, etc should be made available to those who do have kids...

I'm sorry and I'm sure I'll take heat for this but I AM a Mom. I've been in that situation...
But what extra time do you get. I have been there myself and alway we got X number of personal days. Never got extra time because I was a parent. If there was an emergency with the kids and I had to take off, I made up the time working over or on weekend, but the same deal was available for others if they had a non child related emergency.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But what extra time do you get. I have been there myself and alway we got X number of personal days. Never got extra time because I was a parent. If there was an emergency with the kids and I had to take off, I made up the time working over or on weekend, but the same deal was available for others if they had a non child related emergency.

That was also my experience as well, 2mares.

Old 02-11-2011, 01:52 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,544,205 times
I'm not saying its the way it should be, but I've worked in Corporate America since 1978, and I've never met a successful business person that did not put their work first, and everything else second. I am not a mother, and I respect parents that work, but I don't have any expectation that they will reach beyond a worker bee unless they sacrifice their family life.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by measuremagnet View Post
I'm not getting the connection between the woman in the story wanting to go on vacation and is finding she does not like all the fees involved in attempting to schedule it the easy way, and companies making it hard for women to squeeze all their activities and responsibilities into the day.

Companies aren't in business to give women jobs and accommodate their schedules. Companies are in business to do business. If women want those jobs, they should accept there are certain things that need to change in their homelife.
I think the OP is misleading. IMO the article is about how busy working mothers are because 1. they have to work more hours than in the past to stay competitive, while 2. They still have the lions share of caring for the home and family and 3. The service industry and technology have changed creating less opportunity for affordable services meaning additional responsibilities.

There was slight mention that some companies are now beginning to
offer services to help working parents. I really didnt read anything about how women were complaining that companies were not accomodating them, but that overall, the modern cororate structure and modern marriage together still have a way to go to ease the burden of the busy working mother.

Old 02-11-2011, 03:22 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,010,051 times
I think how much time a mother misses due to sick kids depends a lot more on the individual (come on, some moms use their kids as an excuse to play hookey). Also, on the Dad's willingness to take his fair share of personal days. There are also, unfortunately, some kids that have serious illnesses or compromised immune systems and their parents do take more days. I would hope that their employers would have some compassion in these instances.

My employer gives you x number of personal days. You can use them to go shopping, dental appts, sick kids, whatever. Parents don't get more than anyone else.

I think it all comes out in the wash. I'm sure there are employers that will compensate the employee that hasn't missed a day since 1998 with a better bonus, etc.

Old 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times
If employees who are moms start demanding extra rights, companies will simply begin hiring less of them and more people who do not have kids. This is why most women who are pregnant do not look for a new job during that time. They have a much less chance of being hired because of the pregnancy time off and/or expense to the employer. I think in a shaky job market, this certainly wouldn't be the time to start rocking the boat and demanding anything.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:02 AM

530 posts, read 779,799 times
the places I have worked it goes like this: "wishes, I put you on the schedule to work christmas b/c you don't have kids, I know you worked thanksgiving but...", "wishes I know these are not your regular work days this week but Sally has to have it off b/c her kids......" On paper I have as much sick time vaca time as the moms but I also get my schedule messed with to make them happier with sick days in tact, any complaints are generally met with well you don't have kids so you don't understand how important it is to be there for.....(insert reason). I don't agree that someone else's kids should affect my career/lifestyle.

Old 02-12-2011, 03:58 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,796,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I think how much time a mother misses due to sick kids depends a lot more on the individual (come on, some moms use their kids as an excuse to play hookey). Also, on the Dad's willingness to take his fair share of personal days. There are also, unfortunately, some kids that have serious illnesses or compromised immune systems and their parents do take more days. I would hope that their employers would have some compassion in these instances.

My employer gives you x number of personal days. You can use them to go shopping, dental appts, sick kids, whatever. Parents don't get more than anyone else.

I think it all comes out in the wash. I'm sure there are employers that will compensate the employee that hasn't missed a day since 1998 with a better bonus, etc.
It doesn't come out in the wash. You with your sickly kids are out all the time. Now, I want to take some time. The boss may tell me, no childfree, because booklover is out AGAIN with her sickly kid.

When you're born you aren't handed a bag full of a responsible hubs and children. Those are your life choices. You deal with it. The supervisor is there to work. He's not there to take pity on your freakin family.

When I was younger I worked in an office with military and civilians. We had a noon-8p shift. Sometimes, it would last until 10p. Those were the regular hours. It was three civilians. Here's the problem. During the summer it was hard to come to work and my friends were out doing whatever. Some days we would call in sick. The Colonel was sick of it, but couldn't do anything about it. He waited until we left those positions. He turned those slots into military jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates