Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 06:44 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
You're thinking its not because it will cost some people a minor amount of their income, but it is possible.
I don't understand what this means.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL, women are sooooooo much busier than men! I love how commercials pander to this. Almost every single commercial geared to women is around her being SOOO busy! A woman's amount of being "busy" is like equal to her worth of importance to society.

Maybe if they stop walking around with starbucks cups, going to and talking about yoga, boring people with stories about their children, maybe they'll have time for stuff.

The moral of this story according to society: IF YOU ARE A MOM AND YOU ARE NOT ALWAYS BUSY, YOU ARE A FAILURE.

Reads like you are comparing childless women to women with kids.

Old 02-08-2011, 06:57 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia 914 View Post
I think you got the word right-- accommodating... and no, I don't think they should. I think if women want to blast-off about "equality," there's no legitimate grounds to complain until working men get to breastfeed on the job & similar things working women figure they have the 'right' to.
Im sure when and if men actually do those things: breastfeed, take the kids to appointments, school, activities, and take care of emergencies they would have less difficulty being accommodated. They would probably generate sympathy as the attitude towards men is not "if you cant take the heat get back in the kitchen" its that poor man dosent have a good woman to do those things for him.

The bottom line is, if employers want to attract quality people they know they have to make accommodations for their employees.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:03 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,810,838 times
When this country started we built our business practices on the premise of having a workforce of mostly men whose wives cared for the children at home. It was perfectly acceptable to expect certain things because your workers had someone else taking care of all other aspects of their lives. That ship has sailed. Society has changed. Not only does the workforce now include women, men actually take care of children and household responsibilities as well. You can either whine about it or change with the times. If you want to hire the best workers you need to be ready for a workforce that has a completely different lifestyle that when was common 60 years ago. To me, all the complaining about parents amounts to a big pile of "I don't want to change, its not FAIR". Things change. Buck up already. Geesh.

Now does that mean you have to bend over backwards to the detriment of work getting done? No. But don't be an ass about it either. If the work can still get done with a few adjustments, then do it. Hiring people who have children and then expecting them to ignore their existence isn't going to work.

Last edited by Tinawina; 02-08-2011 at 07:39 AM..

Old 02-08-2011, 08:57 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
What's wrong with wanting to 'have it all'?
A lot....I didn't learn that until I was much older....

Old 02-08-2011, 11:07 AM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
LOL, women are sooooooo much busier than men! I love how commercials pander to this. Almost every single commercial geared to women is around her being SOOO busy! A woman's amount of being "busy" is like equal to her worth of importance to society.

Maybe if they stop walking around with starbucks cups, going to and talking about yoga, boring people with stories about their children, maybe they'll have time for stuff.

The moral of this story according to society: IF YOU ARE A MOM AND YOU ARE NOT ALWAYS BUSY, YOU ARE A FAILURE.
Excellent point! It continually hands me a laugh at how stay-at-home housewives try to look busy. What really cracks me up is how they have their own little 5 p.m. rush hour. They have all day to do their stuff, but many of them will leave the house right before their working hubby gets home, so they're gone when he gets there and doesn't think they've been sitting on the couch all day eating bon bons and watching Dr. Phil. Which of course many of them have been doing! LOL.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,553,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Reads like you are comparing childless women to women with kids.
Agreed. Stereotyping is pervasive as much as people claim otherwise. The profile given does not fit my wife at all. She is a constant motion all day at home. She does comment when women say they cannot stay at home because it is boring for them to come to the house and she will show them so they cannot be bored. The real reason some women say that is because actully do not want to be at the house for a variety of reasons, take care.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:14 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Disagree. Twenty years ago I held a full-time job, had 2 boys at home, 2 dogs, 2 cats, a guinea pig and a fixer-upper house which we were fixing. I budgeted my time and had time for everything. I don't care for the whining women either as I saw them in the military when I was in and they were nothing but a drag on the rest of us. It is all about choices. Later, I worked part-time and we gave up some of the "goodies" that the full-time job provided but time with the kids, priceless. Choices. If you want equal pay, equal work. Isn't that what it was supposed to be all about?

Old 02-08-2011, 07:27 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times
Boo-hoo...you can't have your cake and eat it too...

Women have two options:
A) Work and don't have kids, or B) Have kids and get a job that does not require a large commitment.

Women shouldn't get special treatment because they can't handle the stress. You make choices and you live with them.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Just don't forget that when you are retired and no longer contributing into the system, my children will be paying into YOUR Social Security and Medicare.

They will be joining the police, fire and military forces to protect you. They will become doctors and nurses to help you. They will keep society running when your generation is no longer capable.
Unless your kids are drug addicted and on welfare. Then my kids will be supporting your kids who are not doing their fare share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates