Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2006, 09:04 AM

18 posts, read 72,688 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a native New Yorker considering moving to Athens, GA, with my 6 year old daughter and mother. I am sick and tired of living in New York. It's too expensive, crowded, and I long for peace and quiet, and a big house with a nice backyard for me, my daughter and our pets. I have been reading some of the threads about Athens, GA, but wonder if someone could elaborate and answer the following questions. Can anyone tell me if the school districts are high performing? My daughter currently attends a private school in Manhattan that costs $28,000/year (yes, your eyesight is fine), and I would love to be able to send her to a well performing public school instead of paying for private school. We are also bi-racial (I am black and native american and my daughter is me, plus Greek), so I would love to live ina community that is diverse and accepting of all backgrounds. I also am interested in living in Athens because my mom is in the midst of getting her PhD and I would love for her to be near some universities or colleges (such as the University of Georgia) so she can get a teaching job or the equivalent. As for me, I have home-based business, but living in an area that has a good chamber of commerce and other business organizations would be helpful. Any info would be welcomed and if you think there are other places in GA that would suit my family and I, that would also be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2006, 09:22 AM

722 posts, read 3,317,394 times
Athens sounds good. It's pretty accepting as well

Old 07-07-2006, 12:29 PM

4,416 posts, read 9,143,570 times
If you have a Professional degree or are seeking one Athens is a great town. As a music fan and more specificallly an REM junkie I have been there a few times. I love it but the job market is small and pretty much overtaken by College students. Athens is an extremely accepting liberal town. The only issue could be the fact that it is a wild party town and if you live near the main drag you will hear a lot of galavanting in the late night hrs. That can be solved by living in Oglethorpe.

Old 11-29-2009, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 10,815 times
Just curios what the job market is like in Athens and also in Atlanta
My wife is going to be starting law school in 2010 at University of Georgia.
I am graduating in may of 2010 with a bachelors in business admin.

Old 11-30-2009, 08:07 AM

470 posts, read 1,501,620 times
Davidas - Athens is a very diverse community, and certainly accepting of all backgrounds. Perhaps that is because of the influence of the university. There are some excellent schools in the area, especially Oconee County (right next door) and also some terrific private schools that won't run $28,000 a year. If you check out my website, in my profile, I have links to the local schools and school districts, (still under construction).

Unemployment here is the lowest of Georgia metropolitan districts. But, there is still a lot of competition for jobs.

There is a good choice of dining and entertainment in the area.

Old 11-30-2009, 11:46 AM

62 posts, read 215,216 times
Move to North West Oconee County, Georgia. Eight to fifteen minutes from the Athens/Clarke County line. That way you have all the advantages of Athens and at the same time your child will be in top flight schools.

You will also be within thirty to forty minutes from anything interesting in Atlanta. Atlanta Airport is about one hour and half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia