Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 02:17 PM

92 posts, read 235,531 times

Advertisements

I'm from Columbia SC,and looking to relocate to the Athens area in the near future.Racism here is wide spread and very much open here,and there are very few interracial couples here.This is the main reason I'm leaving this city.
From all my searches of Athens,I am very impressed with what I have learned about this town,but would like to know,how race relations are there among blacks and whites.Appreciate an honest and open view from anyone who has lived there long enough to give an accurate opinion on this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 12:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
You got a bunch of replies I see.

First, Athens is much like anywhere else; you have the good, bad and ugly. Athens is a progressive city where pretty much anything goes and that due to the university town atmosphere.

Our school system is a mess and of course it is predominantly black. High School dropout rates are around 50%. There is nothing here for unemployed youth so we have a fair amount of crime. We have over 5 public housing concentrations which are crime producing it seems. We also have homeless who are mostly white. Don't know why they don't get into the public housing complexes.

However, I don't feel unsafe during the day time and I don't venture out at night much. Most of our crime is property crime and druggies vs. druggies.

Now, race. It is my fundamental belief that most black people don't like (some hate) white people. Vice versa too. They have a historical basis for it. However, that does not keep mixed race couples from living here safely and unbothered. Our police chief is black, our sheriff is black and our mayor is a white female. All seem competent. Our police force has never been accused of abusing their authority. We also have a sizeable population of hispanics, that is, Mexicans. How many is a guess. That group has the most difficulty with blacks. Much of our crime seems to come from the Latino community. Lot of frustration for them in this awful economy.

The big problem here is no economic opportunity even for the well educated. There is no telling how many people we have around here with ph.ds and masters degrees. Bachelors degrees are zip.

You won't find a lot of integration with churches. No surprise there. Like other places, there are prosperous blacks people. Our local federal judge is black and has a great reputation as he had when in Superior Court.

If you are expecting a kumbaya atmosphere, you will be disappointed. Things are pretty much separated based on economics, not so much race. But, I do think underlying daily life there are racial issues; they just don't surface. There is no dialogue. UGA has an aggressive affirmative action program for admissions. People find that difficult to swallow. White people that is.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Ollie1946; 11-07-2011 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar

Old 11-08-2011, 05:29 PM

92 posts, read 235,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
You got a bunch of replies I see.

First, Athens is much like anywhere else; you have the good, bad and ugly. Athens is a progressive city where pretty much anything goes and that due to the university town atmosphere.

Our school system is a mess and of course it is predominantly black. High School dropout rates are around 50%. There is nothing here for unemployed youth so we have a fair amount of crime. We have over 5 public housing concentrations which are crime producing it seems. We also have homeless who are mostly white. Don't know why they don't get into the public housing complexes.

However, I don't feel unsafe during the day time and I don't venture out at night much. Most of our crime is property crime and druggies vs. druggies.

Now, race. It is my fundamental belief that most black people don't like (some hate) white people. Vice versa too. They have a historical basis for it. However, that does not keep mixed race couples from living here safely and unbothered. Our police chief is black, our sheriff is black and our mayor is a white female. All seem competent. Our police force has never been accused of abusing their authority. We also have a sizeable population of hispanics, that is, Mexicans. How many is a guess. That group has the most difficulty with blacks. Much of our crime seems to come from the Latino community. Lot of frustration for them in this awful economy.

The big problem here is no economic opportunity even for the well educated. There is no telling how many people we have around here with ph.ds and masters degrees. Bachelors degrees are zip.

You won't find a lot of integration with churches. No surprise there. Like other places, there are prosperous blacks people. Our local federal judge is black and has a great reputation as he had when in Superior Court.

If you are expecting a kumbaya atmosphere, you will be disappointed. Things are pretty much separated based on economics, not so much race. But, I do think underlying daily life there are racial issues; they just don't surface. There is no dialogue. UGA has an aggressive affirmative action program for admissions. People find that difficult to swallow. White people that is.

My 2 cents.
Ollie:Thanks man/mam.Since posting this,I have been here as of 11/3,just about 5 days.I can truly say,I like the small town feel the town has,and many I have met just in passing really did seem quite friendly.
As far as my question is concerned,thus far I don't see race relations being a problem here and after what I have been through in my almost 3 years in Columbia SC,It is truly such a welcome relief to see more harmony among the black and whites here.
Again,Ollie,I appreciate all your imput,now I just want to start learning my way around here and get to know the people better.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:26 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,572,507 times
Welcome then. Hope it will be the place you have been looking for.

Old 05-07-2020, 05:15 AM

34 posts, read 32,975 times
Any Athens experience updates peachstate01?
(I know this thread is super old and good chance this person will not reply but maybe someone else can share)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
View detailed profiles of: