Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 PM

105 posts, read 364,368 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,single african american mother of 3 looking to move to georgia in July. Im looking for a good town to nestle into. My kids are 9, 11 and 12. Finding a family friendly town with lots of things for my kids to enjoy is a must. A good Church, and school. Also looking for night life from time to time. Please keep in mind Im a country girl and I currently live in a middle class neighborhood. by the way ATL has too many people LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 05:56 AM

159 posts, read 456,425 times
The Smyrna, Mableton area is a good area, close to town and everything, and affordable homes. I live in the Mableton area and it's like living in a small town. Everything is close by and I don't go to downtown Atlanta at all.

Old 07-26-2009, 01:28 PM

9 posts, read 27,557 times
I'm going to keepp it real!

As I've mentioned before I am raised in GA. All places are not for black people. There are still very many areas that are races and will by any means make sure you have a record such as MONROE, DOUGLASVILLE, just to name the worsest ones. Don't let anyone tell you different!

Now as far a s all of the things that you are use to and is looking for. There are ALOT of places like that! It all depends on how much you can afford. Gwinnett is cool, but the police are not. They have recently installed this new system to where if you are riding past them the monitors on the back of the car can tell if you have license or insurance. Which some people don't mind, but I would only visit there because of the attractions and family orientation, but that's about it, plus it's expensive. Now Stone moutain is very diverse with a great school system. The rent ranges from $650-1,100 a month. They only have one DEFACS office for the entire county.
Fulton county is where I'm from, the taxes are resonable, the schools are okay depending on what area of Fulton, it's close to downtown Atlanta and everything is much closer than Dekalb county. There is public transportation in all of these areas, but once again it's up to you. Myself I would live in Eastpoint, certain parts of Decatur, Stone Mountain, Conyers, College Park, Downtoen is rebuliding everything so it's expensive there too just because ethey have torn down all of the projects, Buckhead is nice but very upscale just like Peachtree city, Stockbride-Rex is cool but no buses, Clayton County I would stay away from all together they have had a very hard time keeping their school accredidation (i think they've just recently gotten it back-but no telling for how long), Marrietta, Smyrna and surroundig areas are not for a country girl, the traffice there is sooo bad and they drive like bats out of hell! Plus they have a different transit system that doesn't run on Sunday. Six Flags area is okay, just don't move on the street that Six Flags is on even though there are 100 apartments there, but go on the back side, further down highway 20 is douglasville so don't go too far pass sixflags then you're entering races territiory. Oakland city is okay off of Campbellton Rd and the West End. I hope this helps.

Old 07-26-2009, 02:19 PM

470 posts, read 1,501,450 times
Try the Athens area, a university town, quite diverse, with a good nightlife and decent restaurants. Cost of living is lower than the Atlanta metro area. You can live in one of the smaller communities that surround Athens and still be only 15 minutes or so from Athens. There are a lot of youth activities, including organized sports, plenty of churches, etc.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:53 PM

105 posts, read 364,368 times
My mom told me that my problem was that I have champaine taste but budweiser money LOL, I loved Buckhead...I visit often to one of my friends that stays off of convington hwy and the area is very quiet and nice....I thinlk I will stick it out in NC a lil while longer,,,,thanks for the info

Old 08-04-2009, 07:23 PM

199 posts, read 628,022 times
"They only have one DEFACS office for the entire county" she did not say that she was looking for a welfare check and food stamps!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia