Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 01:42 AM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
I disagree with you. Columbus is a corporate city just as much as it is a military city. You must not know too much about the city.
They don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:26 AM

201 posts, read 541,111 times
Quote:
I disagree with you. Columbus is a corporate city just as much as it is a military city. You must not know too much about the city.
Columbus Georgia corporate?
The city would have dried up in the early 60's if not for the Fort Benning and the Vietnam War when massive amounts of recruits trained at Sand Hill etc made many a shyster wealthy on Victory Drive.
When the mills closed so went the last of the decent paying blue collar jobs unfortunately.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:25 PM
JLA

627 posts, read 2,187,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbusattorney View Post
Columbus Georgia corporate?
The city would have dried up in the early 60's if not for the Fort Benning and the Vietnam War when massive amounts of recruits trained at Sand Hill etc made many a shyster wealthy on Victory Drive.
When the mills closed so went the last of the decent paying blue collar jobs unfortunately.
You have got to be kidding, right? In the 60's the mills were king in this city and the city and those who ran them, made sure of that. They operated this city with an iron fist, making sure no union jobs got close to this town. Afraid the wages would go up and they would not be able to compete, they were a notorious bunch, which eventually died off. The mills were some of the lowest paying jobs in Columbus and throughout the South. A strange thing happened when they ceased to exist here in Columbus, the average wage and benefits went up, not down. Also, the education levels went up and the drop out rate went down, because none of the better companies were hiring 16 year old kids out of high school and promising them a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. You've been around for a while, but man have you gotten stuck in some sort of time warp? U-N-B-E-L-I-E-V-A-B-L-E. The lady stated how much she appreciates Columbus and some of you think that is odd. The Maconite got his feelings hurt and the Columbusite got his feelings hurt. Columbus isn't for everyone, but she likes it. Macon isn't for everyone but some one likes, they have 93,000 people living there, those who don't like it have moved on just like she did. Those who do not like Columbus usually move on.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,657,720 times
This Columbusattorney is clueless......you live in Stone Mountain dude.

Last edited by Columbus1984; 02-05-2009 at 08:59 PM..

Old 02-06-2009, 07:22 AM

201 posts, read 541,111 times
Quote:
This Columbusattorney is clueless......you live in Stone Mountain dude.
No Chris.
I am not from Stone Mountain.
CityData has been notified.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:28 PM

594 posts, read 3,437,181 times
I am back to the forum I no this is going to be a old post about the people that moved here and said they liked columbus and said that columbus is spread out well that is true your right columbus is spread out columbus is really a nice city to live in and people on here put it down for no reason and I dont understand why they put columbus down because theres nothing wrong with columbus. So this is to the people who say columbus is small im sorry folks but columbus is not small columbus may seem small because of the small downtown in columbus but columbus is really a nice size city columbus is spread out all over the place like atlanta is and like augusta georgia is. The only difference in columbus is that columbus is not as large as atlanta and augusta but columbus is a metro area though but a small metro area with a population of almost 200,000 people in the columbus metro area.

oh and another thing about the downtown area of columbus I believe its fixing to change in a few years to with all the people thats going to be moving to columbus for the brac and with all the students in the columbus state unversity campus downtown in columbus I beleive downtown columbus may start to see some highrise condos and high hotels start to pop up in downtown columbus to by no mean im not saying they will be 20 to 25 storys no no no no they want be that tall. My best guess is they will be from 10 storys to 14 storys high.

Old 07-15-2009, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,172 times
hello,my name is toni and im a yankee and im trying to move to georgia in the next month because of a bad relationship have to girls ages 9 and 7 and looking to give them a better live.if any one can give me a idea on any women shelters in the county please let me know cause its time for me and m y family to go.thanks !

Old 07-17-2009, 11:05 PM

26 posts, read 108,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lansinggirl09 View Post
I recently moved to the Midland area of Columbus and coming from Macon, I didn't realize how spread out Columbus was. I live 25mins from downtown and I absolutely love Columbus. The development is Midland is looking good for years to come. The north Columbus area has the nice shopping centers and a nice outdoor Mall up there. It is so nice, the downtown area seems to be ok too. The only thing I miss in Macon is the interstate access, but I didn't realize the potential of Columbus.

We really love it here in Columbus b/c it seems as the perfect place to raise a family!!!
We are moving from the N Highlands area of Macon to North Columbus. We have lived in Macon for 11 years and will miss it. I have traveled to Columbus on business twice a week for over four years and have always enjoyed it. I am a business rep who services SW GA (not Macon) so I've wanted to make this move for a couple of years now. We love Macon but will learn to love Columbus. Yes it does "appear" to look larger and busier than Macon...........just an observation.

Old 07-18-2009, 01:21 AM

543 posts, read 1,317,705 times
I read that the Georgia Music & Sports Hall of Fame museums are in trouble and might be closing the doors. Otis Redding is rolling in his grave. R.I.P.

Old 07-18-2009, 10:03 AM

26 posts, read 108,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
I read that the Georgia Music & Sports Hall of Fame museums are in trouble and might be closing the doors. Otis Redding is rolling in his grave. R.I.P.
This is true. The city is looking for money to keep them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia