Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the next rising star of Georgia?
Augusta 26 39.39%
Macon 12 18.18%
Columbus 28 42.42%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 01:51 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You had me until this statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbauknight View Post
Everyone wants a revitalization of GA's 2nd-tier downtowns. Savannah's downtown really can't "get behind" at this point -- not with all the future plans it has (just new hotels alone). It's also on a different level, much like Asheville's and Charleston's. Georgia's other 2nd tiers won't reach those levels anytime soon. Athens is closer than the fall-line cities.
Just look at the facts and take away the emotions. I didn’t say it would have more charm or character. I said it will have more investment over the next few years.

The Cyber Institute is two 5 story buildings. One building is for the government and the other private. The GBI already moved their cyber crime unit there. That’s just state government jobs. Then you have DOD partners flocking to Augusta to get into the other building. The property is 17 acres total, and their going to expand soon because of demand.

Unisys on the Riverwalk is now up too 700. Taxslayer opened their new headquarters on Broad two months ago.

Your talking about building new hotels. I’m talking about headquarters, state agencies, and high paying jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 03:56 PM

97 posts, read 110,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Kid View Post
Augusta-

Can grow father than Savannah
They have a better terrain
The city is much larger in population and size
The Cyber Center is a pro
It is likely to bring alot of professional skill to the city
I 14 should connect with Gordon HWY
That would give travelers a reason to go through the inner city

Columbus-

This place seems to be the only city actively trying to grow
It's going for a Atlanta Ponce City Vibe
The River Front is basically a Gem for the city
Much growth for inner city living
Phenix City is also just as determined as Columbus to put itself on the Map
and I 185 extension would help Columbus by far
I 14 crossing on JR Allen Pkwy would also help the city grow on the North

Macon-

Honestly, If you constantly lose a hotel high rise, I don't know what to say (Nobody wants to be there)
475 set Macon's inner city up for failure
The development on 75 and 16 is Macon's only hope as of now
South Macon is dead
If I 14 were to be built in Macon, it should cross the south end where it is empty
and go across the regional airport
This would probably bring growth to the south wasteland.
I mean, why do people go through Macon?
Exactly, to get to Savannah, there is no reason to take a detour down 16 unless you live there.
Give people a reason to come

All in all- each city needs to open up to diversity.
That is the main priority to grow
Become open to many kinds of people, and you become a super power
I highly doubt that I-14 will happen anytime soon. You didn't really have anything nice to say about Macon ��. Let's not forget that Macon's Southside has had an addition of an Amazon warehouse. Tyson Chicken just had a major expansion last year also on the Southside. FedEx and khumo tires both have distribution centers that opened in the mid 2010s also on the Southside. Quiktrip also believes in Macon since it's opening up a new truck stop location on the Southside of Macon off I-75. Now I can admit that the retail industry is not doing to well on Eisenhower but a few new hotels have been built on the I-475 Eisenhower exit in the past few years. Middle Georgia state university is a growing school and continues to expand with new dormitories as is Mercer university. I have not seen as many loft developments in any of the fall line cities as I've seen in Macon. Macon developers are definitely taking a unique approach to these loft developments too. If central city commons comes to fruition the city will have something new and lustrous to bring into its historic gentrifying downtown. Lastly north Macon is booming with a mix of large loft developments and a changing retail climate. With that being said I think the deepening of the port of Savannah and the new 75/16 interchange project will usher in new businesses and development between Atlanta, Macon and Savannah with most of the new industries focusing on these key cities for ease of transportation.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:57 PM

242 posts, read 340,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1994 View Post
I highly doubt that I-14 will happen anytime soon. You didn't really have anything nice to say about Macon ��. Let's not forget that Macon's Southside has had an addition of an Amazon warehouse. Tyson Chicken just had a major expansion last year also on the Southside. FedEx and khumo tires both have distribution centers that opened in the mid 2010s also on the Southside. Quiktrip also believes in Macon since it's opening up a new truck stop location on the Southside of Macon off I-75. Now I can admit that the retail industry is not doing to well on Eisenhower but a few new hotels have been built on the I-475 Eisenhower exit in the past few years. Middle Georgia state university is a growing school and continues to expand with new dormitories as is Mercer university. I have not seen as many loft developments in any of the fall line cities as I've seen in Macon. Macon developers are definitely taking a unique approach to these loft developments too. If central city commons comes to fruition the city will have something new and lustrous to bring into its historic gentrifying downtown. Lastly north Macon is booming with a mix of large loft developments and a changing retail climate. With that being said I think the deepening of the port of Savannah and the new 75/16 interchange project will usher in new businesses and development between Atlanta, Macon and Savannah with most of the new industries focusing on these key cities for ease of transportation.
Well Said.... because what Atlanta-Kid mentioned about Macon is NOT true... It appears Atlanta-Kid needs to do more visiting Macon or researching the city. Macon is doing a lot and making lots of progress and not to mention Macon High rise hotel is re opening as a wyndam hotel fall of 2019 along with 2 more hotels coming soon in a $90 million project downtown which one being a Hyatt.

Old 06-14-2019, 06:59 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Just look at the facts and take away the emotions. I didn’t say it would have more charm or character. I said it will have more investment over the next few years.

The Cyber Institute is two 5 story buildings. One building is for the government and the other private. The GBI already moved their cyber crime unit there. That’s just state government jobs. Then you have DOD partners flocking to Augusta to get into the other building. The property is 17 acres total, and their going to expand soon because of demand.

Unisys on the Riverwalk is now up too 700. Taxslayer opened their new headquarters on Broad two months ago.

Your talking about building new hotels. I’m talking about headquarters, state agencies, and high paying jobs.
Well, yeah, now you want to qualify your earlier statement, which I'll remind everyone was this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
DT Savannah will get left behind in terms of investment versus Augusta over the next few years.
So no, you don't get to eliminate hotels, restaurants, retail, entertainment and housing from the equation. And if anyone is walking the streets of, and observing the goings-on in DT Savannah and Augusta this morning, I'd like to know if any of them think that statement is even remotely possible.

Last edited by Iconographer; 06-14-2019 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 AM

1,497 posts, read 1,517,706 times
Iconographer... That statement is no more plausible than his other assertion of Augusta being "The Fastest Rising City in The Southeast"

Old 06-14-2019, 09:51 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AUGnative View Post
Iconographer... That statement is no more plausible than his other assertion of Augusta being "The Fastest Rising City in The Southeast"
I'd love to see Augusta realize its potential as much as any Augustan would, and I do think that progress is being made...but come on.
With regards to the OT, Augusta has as good a shot as Macon or Columbus for the title...but Savannah was not included in my OP for a reason. It's already 'there'.

Old 06-14-2019, 01:56 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,350 times
Macon is going to be the next city to soar.... Let's revisit this in 5-10 years... Its on it way to become a logistics hub and with the boom of residential growth and revitalization of Downtown, Growth of Mercer and MGSU and the continued increased traffic success at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport.

Old 06-14-2019, 02:59 PM

56 posts, read 55,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownMacon View Post
Macon is going to be the next city to soar.... Let's revisit this in 5-10 years... Its on it way to become a logistics hub and with the boom of residential growth and revitalization of Downtown, Growth of Mercer and MGSU and the continued increased traffic success at the Middle Georgia Regional Airport.
Macon makes a lot of sense having a major north/south interstate, straight shot to the coast and being closest to Atlanta.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,353 times
It may make a lot of sense, but the poll above shows most people don't believe that.

In reality this kind of poll is more a census of where active forum members currently live, travel to the most, or just like better.

All three of the urban cores of these cities are better than they were 20 years, 10 years, or even 5 years ago, and each will continue getting better as the urban cores grow denser.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:57 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,530,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tj1994 View Post

You are absolutely correct.
Macon has the most potential out of all of the fall line cities
Did I expect more from the city?... yes
I would love to see development past downtown going done I 16
I also hope the new hotel stays in business this time
Macon has the greatest connection with 475-75-16 and believe that the new interchange will improve that
The downtown in general also seems the most developed and surreal
I also hope that (Hartley Bridge road area) gets some retail/residential development eventually
I visit Macon A ton- the best part is the interchange construction. (The Trump Card)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia