Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 12:21 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
In all honesty, I really have no sympathy for a human that would have more compassion for a dog than an unborn baby. I can't proved it, but I guarantee some those who believe in aborting babies would not harm or abort a dog. I also don't need the State deciding how I should believe the Gospel. It sad when you try to institute something that should come through divine influence by law. That would absolutely the highest form of witchcraft through manipulation.
The abortion issue is not necessarily as simple or as cut-and-dry as only encompassing elective abortions in which a woman may choose to terminate a pregnancy, most often (if not always) because of severe financial and emotional stress.

The abortion issue can be really tricky for politicians (particularly male politicians who do not have to worry about getting pregnant and/or carrying or miscarrying a pregnancy) to get into because many abortions are a medical necessity after women have miscarriages in which the remains of the fetuses they were carrying were not naturally expelled from their bodies and have to be removed by way of a procedure that apparently is technically classified to be an abortion.

The fetal remains have to be removed from a woman's body after she miscarries or the remains can/will become septic and she can (or likely will) die.

Basically, many abortions occur through no fault of a woman's own after she has had a miscarriage and has to have the remains of the miscarried fetus removed from her body by way of a procedure that is technically and officially classified as an abortion.

The problem for Georgia's Republican leadership is that wading deep into controversies about the abortion issue does not seem to help the party with a constituency of voters (college educated female voters in metro Atlanta) that the party appeared to have significant problems with during the 2018 election cycle, and appears to have growing problems with moving forward into the 2020 presidential election cycle.

Wading deep into a very thorny controversial and divisive social issue like abortion also does not help further Georgia state government's goal of recruiting more business to move into the state.

Georgia Republicans would do well to tread very lightly on this issue.

Getting bogged down on a controversial issue that has the potential to further severely alienate female voters during a time when many female voters are already feeling severely alienated from the GOP during the Trump era likely would serve to do nothing more but play directly into the hands of a Georgia Democratic Party heading into the 2020 presidential election cycle... A Georgia Democratic Party that suddenly is feeling very ascendant after a 2018 gubernatorial election cycle in which they seemingly made much improvement in moving back towards a position of parity with the long-dominant Georgia Republican Party.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:25 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Yep.

I mean, I guess we don't know for sure... but this man seems pretty unlikely to veto religious freedom legislation.

If it wasn't so sad, it would actually be hilarious.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:30 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,976,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Yep.

I mean, I guess we don't know for sure... but this man seems pretty unlikely to veto religious freedom legislation.

If it wasn't so sad, it would actually be hilarious.
The more urban Georgia grows, the less likely clowns like this will be around. Just give it a bit more time.

Old 03-02-2019, 12:33 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
The more urban Georgia grows, the less likely clowns like this will be around. Just give it a bit more time.
But in the mean time, we have to hope they don't take Metro Atlanta down with them.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:11 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Well, this is apparently what the people of Georgia wanted. Elections have consequences.

Let the chips fall where they may. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Exactly! Nice little stick figure too.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:27 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,368,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
Exactly! Nice little stick figure too.

I just want to add that even though I agree, it's pretty sad how this is affecting (in terms of the current population)/will affect Atlanta and the state overall. There are big companies that have a high score regarding the work environment for their lgbt+workers and I doubt that they would want to move to a state (whether it's their headquarters or opening up another branch) that keeps bringing this kind of stuff up/actually implements it as it would affect their workforce/their image.

Diversity is a positive towards productivity and Georgia trying to eliminate this diversity is a huge no-no. Live and let live!

Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,257,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Well, this is apparently what the people of Georgia wanted. Elections have consequences.

Let the chips fall where they may. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
They may fall where they fall, but it won't stop me from fighting them. History shows that laws based upon religious traditionalism don't stand the test of time and the expansion of rights wins in time. Sometimes it is two steps forward and one step back, but in the end they will lose just like they did with women being equal, minorities gaining rights, interracial marriage, etc.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:06 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
We can blame the rest of Georgia as much as we want.

But the fact of the matter is, this guy couldn't have gotten elected if he didn't have a significant amount of support from Atlanta voters as well.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:17 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
We can blame the rest of Georgia as much as we want.

But the fact of the matter is, this guy couldn't have gotten elected if he didn't have a significant amount of support from Atlanta voters as well.
Atlanta's core counties and majority-minority counties all voted overwhelmingly blue.

Same goes for the portions of outer counties that have seen a significant amount of suburban development and influx of transplants.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:52 AM

617 posts, read 552,613 times
Just saw a tweet from Channel 2, apparently they ran out of time on the hearing regarding the Religious Liberty bill, so it did not make it to committee today. They are saying this delay could hurt its chances of making it to the senate before crossover day! *fingers crossed*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia