Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 19,441 times

Advertisements

Do anyone know anything about Macon GA or Wrightsville GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 PM

10 posts, read 51,082 times
I certainly wouldn't consider it a GREAT city. I don't live in Macon but have worked there for 15+ years and live next door in Houston County. Macon has lots of historical sites, is attractive, lots of shopping, good amount of entertainment/arts, lots of fine restaurants, good business industry. The school system is known for being less than decent. Though that has improved a bit in the very northern part of Macon, but my understanding is that overall it's still not good. Most people that can afford it, and even those that can't, figure out a way to send their child to private schools in Macon and there are a BUNCH to choose from. The crime in Macon is a bit high and working with law enforcement officers, I'm told they wouldn't let their wives venture out too many places alone after dark including the large Macon Mall. Downtown Macon is nice but totally dead on the weekend unless there's activity at the Grand Opera house or on Cherry Street. Personally, I wouldn't live in Macon but it's a nice place to work. Of course, these are just my opinions and what I hear on a daily basis.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:00 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco22 View Post
The school system is known for being less than decent. Though that has improved a bit in the very northern part of Macon, but my understanding is that overall it's still not good. Most people that can afford it, and even those that can't, figure out a way to send their child to private schools in Macon and there are a BUNCH to choose from.
I can verify this through my sister's experience (she has lived in north Macon for 14 years). She sends her son to a private school (evidently the admission process is pretty competitive there).
Aside from that, she has loved living in Macon (we are Atlanta natives).

Old 03-20-2008, 02:26 PM

1,388 posts, read 2,254,714 times
I moved to Macon 4 years ago after living in Arizona and Virginia. Macon is definately Southern in character. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed when I first moved here as Macon does not do a very good job of selling itself. After living here awhile, I decided to quit my job before my next transfer and remain in the area. I love it here now. Housing costs are very low--you can get a great place for under 200,000 or a 4000 sq ft home for 400,000. There is a great sense of history in the city and there are many improvements occurring in the old downtown areas. There are actually quite a few amenities for a city its size such as plays, symphony, art shows, etc. and the location just 80 miles south of atlanta is nice too for travelling (non-stop anywhere from Atlanta airport), larger city amenities (pro sports, concerts, etc). There are many great restaurants in the area and I am never bored as there are many activities to attend throughout the year. The people are very friendly too.

You will invariably see someone post about the crime in Macon and how the city is awful. I will address this first and foremost. Yes there are terrible parts of the city that are infested with crime, but I have yet to find a single metropolitan area in the US with a metro population of nearly 400,000 that doesn't have blighted areas. Unless you are living in public housing and make your living dealing drugs you are not exposed to any more crime than one would face anywhere else. I have lived in the city very near downtown and have yet to be a victim of any crime.

As far as the job market is concerned, it is dicey depending on what your skills are. White-collar jobs are sometimes tough to find, but jobs in the service industry are very plentiful. Pay is less than the national average, but housing costs are so low that you can usually have a higher standard of living than many other areas.

I just touched on some high points of living in Macon. If you have further questions, just ask.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:37 PM

177 posts, read 221,412 times
Its all about opinion.....I personally cant stand Macon and think it is truly a less than desireable place....others love the place. It depends on the standards of living you desire.....

Old 03-29-2008, 09:10 PM

26 posts, read 107,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgeorgiaman View Post
I moved to Macon 4 years ago after living in Arizona and Virginia. Macon is definately Southern in character. Honestly, I wasn't very impressed when I first moved here as Macon does not do a very good job of selling itself. After living here awhile, I decided to quit my job before my next transfer and remain in the area. I love it here now. Housing costs are very low--you can get a great place for under 200,000 or a 4000 sq ft home for 400,000. There is a great sense of history in the city and there are many improvements occurring in the old downtown areas. There are actually quite a few amenities for a city its size such as plays, symphony, art shows, etc. and the location just 80 miles south of atlanta is nice too for travelling (non-stop anywhere from Atlanta airport), larger city amenities (pro sports, concerts, etc). There are many great restaurants in the area and I am never bored as there are many activities to attend throughout the year. The people are very friendly too.

You will invariably see someone post about the crime in Macon and how the city is awful. I will address this first and foremost. Yes there are terrible parts of the city that are infested with crime, but I have yet to find a single metropolitan area in the US with a metro population of nearly 400,000 that doesn't have blighted areas. Unless you are living in public housing and make your living dealing drugs you are not exposed to any more crime than one would face anywhere else. I have lived in the city very near downtown and have yet to be a victim of any crime.

As far as the job market is concerned, it is dicey depending on what your skills are. White-collar jobs are sometimes tough to find, but jobs in the service industry are very plentiful. Pay is less than the national average, but housing costs are so low that you can usually have a higher standard of living than many other areas.

I just touched on some high points of living in Macon. If you have further questions, just ask.
I wholeheartedly agree with you Midgeorgiaman. My wife's parents moved here from Atlanta and talked us into moving here. We have been here 9 years, did not care for Macon at first, but have come to love it and realize what a great "secret" Macon is. We've never been victims of crime, our friends have never been victims of crime. We live east of downtown across the river. We moved here from Atlanta and lived in Fort Worth, Texas before that.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 170,278 times
I too believe you hit the nails on the head Midgeorgiaman. Macon might seem a "quaint" large city in Georgia, but it has pros and cons like all other cities of its size, population and diversity of citizens. Bascially it's as good (or bad) as one makes it.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:33 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,096,883 times
The comments by Bronco and middlegeorgiaman appear to be the most accurate, honest, and fair descriptions of Macon.

Though Bronco prefers not to live in Macon and mentions some of the UGLY truths about Macon, he/she also mentions some TRUTHFUL positives and doesnt exaggerate the negatives. VERY VERY well said by both people.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 PM

13 posts, read 38,228 times
I grew up in Warner Robins for 20 years and went to Macon a lot. I don't know how anyone from surrounding areas could rag on it too much... WR wasn't any better. Particular areas in Macon had higher crime, but that's about it. There was a lot more to do, that's for sure. Warner Robins has grown a lot lately though, so it's catching up!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

4 posts, read 21,519 times
As one who has relocated to Macon you did a wonderful job painting a complete picture of living any where (crime). I hope this post help others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Macon