Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2016, 06:35 AM

2 posts, read 2,040 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I've read many many many of the posts in this forum. I just need some advice.

Right now I live in Northern Virginia and my boyfriend relocated to Georgia to deal with family stuff. He lives in the Commerce area. I spent five years in the Upstate of South Carolina and I loved my time there, so over the last few months I have decided I want to move back south -- where the cost of living is more manageable, old friends are and he is. He suggested I look at Athens because he thinks I will like the feel of it (kind small town but bigger and stuff to do. It's why I like Arlington VA.) and it will be cheaper than say, choosing somewhere near Atlanta.

I know Athens is a college town but I don't want to move somewhere and there not be any 25+ people. I'm almost 29 and even though I may only be there a year, I want people around who are in smilie life places as me. What's the climate of that age group in Athens? Are there people there 25-35 with no kids or is it all families and college students? Does it even exist?. If you think this is not something I will find there, is there another location that's 1-1.5 hours away from Commerce (without astronomically high cost of rent) that might be somewhere to consider?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2016, 04:57 PM

7,587 posts, read 10,893,289 times
I went to UGA and then stayed behind 3 years for graduate school. There are definitely some people there beyond the age of 22, but you start to feel out-numbered very quickly and the variety of people goes down.

Now Athens is a very enjoyable town and it is very cheap. I loved it. It is a 30 min, 20 mile trek from Commerce.

Now here is the warning... there is a very small job market there. If you want to work in the new caterpillar factory or a major university, it is a pretty good place to be. However, opportunities outside that are low for a college -city- (ir. Madison Wisconsin, Columbus Ohio, Austin Texas, etc...). It is much more of a blue collar down, than a white collar town outside of the university. It is not very wealthy and this is why it is a bit cheap.

If you're concerned with jobs and career development, I would look 30-40 minutes southwest in the Buford/Suwanee area of Gwinnett County near the Mall of Georgia. This will put you on the outer-edge of one of Metro Atlanta's 5 main counties. The number of people and opportunity will go up great. Plenty of shopping and dining options, but I will warn you it isn't nessecarily the hot spot for singles. That would be closer into Atlanta. Rents are higher, but still manageable $900-$1000/mo for a large 1 bedroom and not much more for a 2 bedroom. In Athens you're looking at $700-$1200 depending on where.

I will also let you know there is a small stadium for the Gwinnett Braves, minor league baseball team, that is a minor draw for some suburban 20-somethings seeking apartments.

I would let your career needs drive where you go, if you can make Athens work... it is a great place to be for a few years at least. You can still have alot of fun there, but the 18-22 will start to feel very young very quick.

Old 03-29-2016, 05:55 PM

11,455 posts, read 24,652,367 times
There are plenty of people older than 25 in the Athens area -- interesting people. There are also enough non-student oriented events that feed on a well-educated population so you won't feel that you've fallen into a sleepy backwater.

Yes, it's hard to find a job that pays well, but many people do okay on low wages if they live simply.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:01 AM

2 posts, read 2,040 times
I have remote employment so that's not a problem at all! I think I would like the culture and feel there -- I was only mostly worried about being surrounded only by young 20-somethings. Thanks for the opinions!

Old 04-18-2016, 03:46 PM

35 posts, read 62,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibun View Post
I have remote employment so that's not a problem at all! I think I would like the culture and feel there -- I was only mostly worried about being surrounded only by young 20-somethings. Thanks for the opinions!
I'm 27 and I live in Athens and honestly I doubt you'd feel out of place in terms of age. I think athens would be a nice place for you, there's plenty of Apts rentals, and homes in this area that are fairly inexpensive too. If you have kids, which I don't think you said, I'd be wary of the Clarke County school system, they've been having some problems with their schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia