Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2013, 12:34 PM

8 posts, read 15,744 times

Advertisements

Hi... I'm relocating to Ga in the next couple of months from NYC. I'm super nervous because I want to choose the right area. I have children high school and elementary school ages. I want a mixed community since we come from a mixed community here in NYC with good schools. There are sooo many places in Ga! I was looking into SW Atlanta, Marietta, places that aren't far from the MARTA since I won't have a car right away...I will a couple of months after. Any and I mean any information that you can give good or bad would be helpful. I work in the film and television industry (freelance and will consider full time work)

Thanks in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 01:09 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,982,836 times
Try posting in the Atlanta forum. Much more user traffic there.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:48 PM

Okay thanks!!

Old 10-12-2013, 03:19 PM

322 posts, read 587,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star363 View Post
Hi... I'm relocating to Ga in the next couple of months from NYC. I'm super nervous because I want to choose the right area. I have children high school and elementary school ages. I want a mixed community since we come from a mixed community here in NYC with good schools. There are sooo many places in Ga! I was looking into SW Atlanta, Marietta, places that aren't far from the MARTA since I won't have a car right away...I will a couple of months after. Any and I mean any information that you can give good or bad would be helpful. I work in the film and television industry (freelance and will consider full time work)

Thanks in advance guys!
This should help you out a little. They have great schools,they are mixed neighborhoods,and are all fairly close to the MARTA. I hope this helps you out.

East Atlanta Village

Tucked away in the southeast corner of the city, East Atlanta Village (EAV) is one of the city’s most fun and offbeat neighborhoods. It’s not a large area, but it’s full of character and, best of all, residents who are passionate about their neighborhood. The heart of the Village is the intersection of Flat Shoals Road and Glenwood Avenue. Along those streets you’ll find a mix of funky clothes shops, tattoo parlors, art and antique galleries, specialty pet supply and grooming shops, an independent book store (remember those?) and plenty of restaurants that won’t break your budget. In fact, the bar and restaurant business seems to be thriving even more than some of the stores — victims of the economic downturn.

While any weekend or weekday evening is a fine time to visit EAV, you can really feel the pulse of this neighborhood during the festival days and nights organized by the very active community organization. The Village is surrounded by a mix of older and new, infill houses on tree-lined streets. Here, you’ll find a truly cosmopolitan mix of neighbors from various racial and economic backgrounds. They all have one thing in common: dedication to EAV’s community spirit.

The annual EAV Strut in mid-September is not to be missed, and on Halloween, the restaurants and shops open their doors for some not-so-scary trick-or-treating — perfect for young tots. On Thursday nights in the summer and fall, don’t miss the East Atlanta Village Farmers Market in the parking lot of Ace Village Hardware.

Grant Park

Grant Park, Atlanta’s oldest historic community, is filled with many 100-year-old-plus historic homes — think sweeping front porches with lazy fans, slow rockers and bougainvillea under magnolia trees. For the past few years, the real estate boom brought a windfall to savvy homeowners who bought in the community during leaner years. Now, sale prices have leveled off a bit, making Grant Park a little more affordable but still keeping real estate values at a good level for owners. The neighborhood is a favorite of families because of its active homeowners association as well as several cooperative and charter schools.

Grant Park is also one of the most fun neighborhoods in the city. Almost everyone who has visited Atlanta more than once takes the obligatory Sunday afternoon tour of Piedmont Park, the city’s most famous in-town green oasis. But another option is Grant Park, the oldest city park in Atlanta. The park has plenty of walking and biking trails and picnic facilities, and its swimming pool reopened in summer 2008 after extensive renovations. During the summer, the park is filled with families grilling, playing football and just relaxing under the trees. Grant Park is also the home of Zoo Atlanta and the Atlanta Cyclorama & Civil War Museum, which features the world’s largest oil painting.

Grant Park features several casual eateries. You can grab a burger at Dakota Blue, a popular, low-key neighborhood restaurant. Some of the best seafood in town is at the aptly named Six Feet Under, which is across the street from the historic Oakland Cemetery. Famous residents include Margaret Mitchell and golfer Bobby Jones.

Decatur

Decatur has been one of metro Atlanta’s most popular cities for years, appealing to both traditional families and bohemian singles. And it's easy to see why. Located about 20 minutes east of downtown Atlanta, Decatur has its own downtown corridor, complete with a bustling mixture of shops, restaurants and businesses.

The downtown hub is surrounded by neighborhoods that include new and old houses, condos and lofts. Many parents flock to Decatur because the city has its own public school system that operates independently of the county system. In addition, downtown Decatur is minutes from the main campus of Emory University, one of the leading academic centers in the nation. The Emory community makes Decatur one of the most intellectually stimulating communities in the metro Atlanta area.

Suwanee

Suwanee is a bustling northern Atlanta suburb that appeals to families, professionals and those who love the great outdoors. The community, located about 30 miles from downtown, is known for its excellent schools, spacious parks and protected green space. Though the entire region has experienced tremendous expansion over the last decade, Suwanee has benefited from smart growth initiatives that allowed city leaders to protect hundreds of acres of woods, wetlands and wildlife habitats. The town was recently named one of Money magazine’s top 10 places to live in the United States.

Suwanee is located near the resort-like amenities of Lake Lanier and is less than an hour’s drive from the north Georgia mountains, but residents don’t have to leave their community to enjoy the outdoors. The town has 500 acres of parkland, with several miles of walking and biking trails. People also enjoy concerts and other special events at the urban-style Town Center Park throughout the year.

Because of its location along Interstate 85, Suwanee is near lively restaurants, busy office parks and some of the largest shopping centers in the state, including the Mall of Georgia. However, it still maintains its small-town feel, boasting a low crime rate, fairly low taxes and a relaxed atmosphere. Suwanee also has affordable housing — the median price for a home is in the mid-$200s, lower than the average for surrounding suburbs.

Though many residents commute to work in Atlanta, Suwanee also has mixed-use developments where other residents live, work and play. Many national companies have offices in Suwanee, including Google, Hewlett-Packard and Mitsubishi Electric.

Vinings

The Vinings area on the northwest side of Atlanta is one of the few communities that continues to hold its housing values despite the current real estate slump. Located about 10 minutes from downtown Atlanta, Vinings is a popular area nestled between ultra-ritzy Buckhead (home of the Governor’s mansion) in Fulton County and the affluent suburban neighborhoods of East Cobb County. Singles, retirees and families make their homes in Vinings’ many "walkable" communities. The neighborhoods are a mix of new houses, condos, shops and older homes, all on gently rolling slopes. Many properties have stunning views of the Atlanta skyline.

In a city known for its commutes, Vinings is known for its convenience. The community is located near several job centers, including downtown Atlanta, Buckhead, the Cumberland Mall area and Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta airport. It also houses the headquarters of Home Depot.

Many residents move to Vinings to experience both in-town convenience and small-town charm. During a typical evening, it’s common to see any number of bicyclists, dog-walkers or joggers traveling the neighborhood streets.

There is no official municipality known as “Vinings,” but purists will tell you that the true boundary of Vinings rests within the perimeter. However, homebuilders have capitalized on the community’s popularity by adding the Vinings name to many nearby neighborhoods that extend west of the traditional boundary lines, into the towns of Smyrna or Mableton. The designations don’t seem to have hurt Vinings' popularity, however. Based on recent real estate trends, the entire area is still one of the most in-demand in Atlanta.

Old 10-13-2013, 08:21 AM

I'm going to read through this now but wanted to THANK YOU for taking the time out to be so detailed!

Old 10-13-2013, 08:23 AM

StarBright!

Old 10-13-2013, 10:45 AM

322 posts, read 587,570 times
No problem.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:21 AM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -StarBright- View Post
No problem.
I agree with Star363, that you gave a great and detailed analysis. Excellent comments.

Though, just as a very critical reminder and a very-important word of warning, one of the things that the Original Poster (Star363) absolutely needs to keep-in-mind is that public transportation is nowhere near as dependable or as readily available as it may be where they are coming from in New York City.

Of the five areas that StarBright mentioned, East Atlanta Village, Grant Park and Decatur have the most accessibility to public transportation (the-nowhere-nearly-as-dependable-and-available-as-it-should-be MARTA), while accessibility to public transportation in Vinings is extremely spotty and is almost completely non-existent in Suwanee, save for maybe a couple of commuter bus routes that only run into and out of Atlanta during rush hour.

The very-limited availability of public transportation in the Atlanta metro region is the major reason why the OP (Star363) should not even attempt to be without personal transportation (an automobile) for even a day after moving to the Atlanta metro region because everything that the OP will have to do (work, social life, children's schooling and healthcare, etc) will primarily only be accessible by automobile.

Unless the OP will be able to purchase a vehicle IMMEDIATELY upon moving to Georgia, the OP (Star363) should seriously consider not moving to Georgia (Metro Atlanta) until they have setup the purchase of a vehicle either in their native New York State or upon immediate arrival in Georgia.

That's because Atlanta is not a place that one wants to be without a personal vehicle for even the slightest length of time, a cold, hard reality that makes the OP's plans of being without a personal vehicle for at least 2 months after moving to Georgia unworkable at best.

The OP will need a vehicle to move around the expansive and almost completely automobile-dependent Atlanta metro region, there just simply is no way around that reality.

The OP should not even think for a second that they will be able to survive, much less thrive, in one of America's most notoriously automobile-dependent metro areas (Atlanta) without the use of a personal vehicle/private automobile.

If the OP thinks that they will be able to be successful in Atlanta without the use of a personal automobile, the OP will unfortunately be in for a very rude awakening.

Old 10-13-2013, 11:18 PM

You guys are very very helpful. Born 2 Roll, I said two months because I have close friends who are going to help me out that live there. They are without children thus the reason I'm asking about great places to live with children. One friend lives in Dekalb County and I did NOT like the area she lived in. She said she's on the boarder of Fulton county? I believe. I also did research about the school system there and I was MORTIFIED at the results. I couldn't stay long enough to get a feel of where I'd like to live so I'm appealing to the natives for some advice. I do plan on coming back to visit the areas that you guys mentioned. Ultimately I understand that the transportation system isn't anything like NYC and I will need a vehicle I was just inquiring about any areas that I may be able to get away with it until that time. Maybe that information would have been more helpful.... either way I TOTALLY appreciate the help. Talking with you guys has helped me at least narrow down the areas I should be looking into when I visit in the next couple of weeks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia