Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 10:19 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,423,643 times

Advertisements

Back to the South, that is...similar thread in New York forum...just curious!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 06:09 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Moved to NJ for six months while in the US Army. Hated it.
Moved to NY for 7 weeks school. Hated it.
Will stay in the South the rest of my life.

Old 11-14-2007, 07:58 PM

726 posts, read 3,603,443 times
Lived in and around the City for 7 years
loved it, visit when I can, and they say that Savannah has quirky Characters?
Would love to retire to the North. Or go North for the Summer

and 3 years in MPLS.

Old 11-18-2007, 02:42 AM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
I actually did the complete opposite. Was born in Massachusetts but moved to Forsyth County when I was 2. Was so traumatized living in the area that I only applied to colleges in New England and New York (Emory wasn't enough of an enclave) and 2 years into college, I'm still going to therapy due to the persecution I faced growing up in the area. I only go home when my college closes (3 weeks for winter break) and only a week or two for summer before I can go somewhere else for an internship. I will never live South of the Mason-Dixon line again.

Old 11-19-2007, 04:51 AM

324 posts, read 1,528,320 times
ok on that last one there.....i was born in WI & lived there till I was 3....moved to SC for 6 years & moved back to WI when I was 9...left for good when I was 24 (moved to FL & now in NC) & have no intention of moving back to WI....have lived in the 'south' for just as long as I have in WI...have been back to my hometown only one time in 10 years...

Old 11-19-2007, 12:18 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,717 times
Default the city

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgnzsavnh View Post
Lived in and around the City for 7 years

You mean Atlanta?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:57 AM

7 posts, read 25,492 times
I did. Loved the scenery in Northern New York, Minnesota, Vermont, and unfortunately North Dakota, but man, the winters there are so brutal that is downright deadly. One example: In ND, i drove 15 miles each way to work. there were only two roads to work. once those were iced over, you were literally driving on a sheet of ice a couple inches thick. once you got used to that, then it became of matter of getting off your side street to get onto the main streets that they always seem to plow FIRST! Everywhere I've lived in the north, that is the same philosophy. I don't know how many times I've been stuck in my garage, parking lot, or trapped in an intersection trying to get to a main street that had been plowed. Granted, I wasn't a homeowner, or else I probably could have paid someone to plow.

People wise, upstate NY had the rudest and most racist people i have ever met. but, the area up there is so pretty. One place I loved more than anywhere up north was Minneapolis, and Toronto. but, the winters there are too deadly for me.

So, after getting stationed in VA, and frequent trips to GA and NC, I pretty much forgot about the north.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM

131 posts, read 445,937 times
I'm an upstate NYer and friend is right, there's a lot of racism up there, beautiful, but winters are misery. I would never raise kids up there even though i was. we were always getting sick....lol

I've been in VA, NC, and GA my last 20 years and must say that after being in GA for almost 1.5 years, i'm through and returning to the Raleigh area where i spent 10 years. It's prettier up there, more opportunities, etc. No place will ever be perfect BUT..... I'm going back to NC. Will never go up north again except to shop (NYC) and visit my grandmother in upstate NY. That's IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia