Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 AM

857 posts, read 4,879,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
Im sorry I didnt respond sooner but my mission here in Iraq only allows me to spend little time on the net. I actually have a question myself, how come every few post I have to respond to some negative northerner or some "big city, big shot wanna be"? How come the south just has to be saved, our ways of thinking are so screwed up, why would any one want to live in a town were your kids can play outside after dark, or walk down-town with out fear, were cops still do there d*mn job? Why would you want to live in a town where there are no gangs? What are our children going to do with out gangs to raise them? How are they going to learn about the real world if they have never experinced a car jacking, drug deal, gang fight, drive by shooting, or haggled with a theif on the street over the price of a stolen watch or TV? We are truly depriving or kids and not preparring them for the "real world"!! I mean, come on, no one really says yes sir/mam and no sir/mam unless that person has the ability of firing them, right? Ok, I have been about as sarcastic as I can be right now, I just wonder why these people feel the need to jump on our forums and save us "poor country foke"? So I will tell you like I tell every one else, "I dont care what you think", If you cant answer the original question dont bother to post, please! Or hell, do, if it makes you feel better! We can alwase tell after a couple of words of a new post were you are from.......or should I say NOT from, lol!!
As Far as a kid hanging a noose from a tree being the same as terrorists killing thousands and thousands of Americans or people in general, I beg to differ. When is the last time you heard of more than a isolated event of some one being hung or even beat up for being black? When the last time some one was killed or beat up for being white, yeah I thought so, dont like them apples, think of how many "hate crimes" happen today, people have a hard time calling it a "hate crime" if its a black kid beating up or robbing a white kid!! But who knows maybe you are right, I am White, so.....maybe I just cant understand it, lol, maybe? We did put a noose around the neck of the leader of this country (IRAQ) for his involvment in terror, maybe all of america are racist terrorist? I Think not, but according to you and a few other posters on here anything to do with a noose is "racist and terrorist"

Im kinda in a big hurry, and dont have time to go back and fix all my misspellings and grammer, please forgive me, every one who really cares thinks Im a "Dumb Country Boy" anyway, lol

Does any one have any info on best cities in kentucky? Thanks

One more quick thing, a buddy of mine Danny Preist, just received the "Purple Heart", he was wounded by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and messed up his arm pretty bad! If you are the "church going" type please say a prayer for him and for a speedy recovery.....and for the rest of us here. Thanks Again

Thank you and God bless you for all you do to defend our freedom.
I'm one of those northerners that moved to the south... grew up in NYC and moved to GA because it was an easier place to raise my son. Unlike you, I don't want to live in a small town, only because it is not what I am used to. But I can certainly understand why many people DO wnat to live in a small town. I don't feel the need to "save" any country folk. In fact, I kind of envy them because of the simplicity of their lives. I even married a country boy from a small southern town.
I think that of all of the people responding to this thread YOU deserve to live anywhere you want when you come home. I just don't get why some people want to get on your case for asking your question. I hope that you are able to find a version of "Mayberry" that is perfect for you and your family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 68,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBoy-n-Iraq View Post
Im sorry I didnt respond sooner but my mission here in Iraq only allows me to spend little time on the net. I actually have a question myself, how come every few post I have to respond to some negative northerner or some "big city, big shot wanna be"? How come the south just has to be saved, our ways of thinking are so screwed up, why would any one want to live in a town were your kids can play outside after dark, or walk down-town with out fear, were cops still do there d*mn job? Why would you want to live in a town where there are no gangs? What are our children going to do with out gangs to raise them? How are they going to learn about the real world if they have never experinced a car jacking, drug deal, gang fight, drive by shooting, or haggled with a theif on the street over the price of a stolen watch or TV? We are truly depriving or kids and not preparring them for the "real world"!! I mean, come on, no one really says yes sir/mam and no sir/mam unless that person has the ability of firing them, right? Ok, I have been about as sarcastic as I can be right now, I just wonder why these people feel the need to jump on our forums and save us "poor country foke"? So I will tell you like I tell every one else, "I dont care what you think", If you cant answer the original question dont bother to post, please! Or hell, do, if it makes you feel better! We can alwase tell after a couple of words of a new post were you are from.......or should I say NOT from, lol!!
As Far as a kid hanging a noose from a tree being the same as terrorists killing thousands and thousands of Americans or people in general, I beg to differ. When is the last time you heard of more than a isolated event of some one being hung or even beat up for being black? When the last time some one was killed or beat up for being white, yeah I thought so, dont like them apples, think of how many "hate crimes" happen today, people have a hard time calling it a "hate crime" if its a black kid beating up or robbing a white kid!! But who knows maybe you are right, I am White, so.....maybe I just cant understand it, lol, maybe? We did put a noose around the neck of the leader of this country (IRAQ) for his involvment in terror, maybe all of america are racist terrorist? I Think not, but according to you and a few other posters on here anything to do with a noose is "racist and terrorist"

Im kinda in a big hurry, and dont have time to go back and fix all my misspellings and grammer, please forgive me, every one who really cares thinks Im a "Dumb Country Boy" anyway, lol

Does any one have any info on best cities in kentucky? Thanks

One more quick thing, a buddy of mine Danny Preist, just received the "Purple Heart", he was wounded by an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and messed up his arm pretty bad! If you are the "church going" type please say a prayer for him and for a speedy recovery.....and for the rest of us here. Thanks Again
The things you desire for you life is what most people what. No one wants to live in a place where they can't feel safe, don't feel they have anything in common with those around them, and where basic human decency has been thrown out of the window. But I think you got the reaction you did because it seemed that you were indicated that its black people inherently causing these problems for everyone else. When in reality you don't want to live somewhere urban and poor and without respect for your fellow neighbor. I guess because you brought up the Jena issue.

The reason there is this, "save the south" attitude is because (and this is just my opinion) there seems to be this expression amongst those in the south that outsiders are intruding and chipping away at what is Southern and then some of those outsiders think the south (based on its history) is somehow backwards or lacking. So there is this "Save the South from the outsiders" camp and then there is this "Save the South from itself" camp.

Well I cant speak on hate crime legislation because frankly I think its stupid and meaningless. The race, gender, or orientation of a victim and the same for the perp shouldn't factor in that issue that a crime has been committed. If a black robs another black he should be punished just as harshly as if it was a white person and vice versa. But to put "hate" into perspective. Black people murder, terrorize, rob, and just make life miserable for more of ourselves than you. Believe me. So we probably hate ourselves more than anyone else.

The noose is to black americans what the swastika is to Jews. The noose is a sign of terror and murder to black americans just as much as the bloods and crips are Terrorist. And yes, according to me, a noose directed at a black person is a sign of terror and has a specific message of murder and a sign of the horror we have gone through for the most part of our existence on this continent. Its not a hapless prank. Thats just the way it is. I'm sorry its something you cannot understand and I wouldn't expect you to. You don't have the history. You don't have any of your family telling you their experiences of hangings, not being able to go to a bathroom or drink out of a certain fountain or crosses burning on their lawns and their windows shot out. Being spit on and beaten or everyday wondering if this is going to be your last day on earth and hoping whatever happens its not to painful. Or how they are treated differently in the justice system and now someone can be tied behind a truck and dragged alive until his head ripped from his shoulders by self proclaimed white supremecist. and then a radio host, who doesn't like black music, would say on air , "and they wonder why we drag them behind trucks." The noose is a symbol to us of that.

Again I believe what is going on in Iraq and around the world cannot be compared to the issue of the noose. They are apples and oranges. One does not negate the other or compare. Like I said the word terrorism existed before crazy muslims murdered 2,000 of my neighbors, friends, and family.

And no one says americans are racist terrorist. I am an american. 99 percent of my circle are born and raised americans, of whatever background. I am neither racist nor spend my days finding ways to make people live in fear and nor are they. I'm sure your not doing it either. However if you look at the history of the world it has been very hard to not find any person of color that hasn't been dominated, suppressed and oppressed by whites. So in that some of us still experience this or feel we are experiencing this we are labled, "whiners" told to "get over it" or that we "imagine" stuff. Which is easy for the dominate race on the planet to tell people. You may not feel you are in the category being just an average person. Whites are the riches, most powerful, and most influential group of people on the planet and have nearly control over everything. Trust me on that.

And whatever I think they should have blown Afghanistan off the map, I've never supported the war in Iraq. And honestly I wish you weren't there fighting and instead at home with your family. And I don't like the shameful way the government treats those that serve and come back in need of care. My sister is in the army and got transfered to work at Walter Reid and she sees many men and women come back to housed in broken down, rat and roach infested conditions, hassling them about getting benefits and how they parading Jessica Lynch in front of all the soldiers missing legs, arms, burned. But having said all that it takes a special person to join the military and without you guys American the National Athem would probably be The "Horst-Wessel-Lied " and I wouldn't exist.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:46 PM

104 posts, read 452,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiachu View Post
The things you desire for you life is what most people what. No one wants to live in a place where they can't feel safe, don't feel they have anything in common with those around them, and where basic human decency has been thrown out of the window. But I think you got the reaction you did because it seemed that you were indicated that its black people inherently causing these problems for everyone else. When in reality you don't want to live somewhere urban and poor and without respect for your fellow neighbor. I guess because you brought up the Jena issue.

The reason there is this, "save the south" attitude is because (and this is just my opinion) there seems to be this expression amongst those in the south that outsiders are intruding and chipping away at what is Southern and then some of those outsiders think the south (based on its history) is somehow backwards or lacking. So there is this "Save the South from the outsiders" camp and then there is this "Save the South from itself" camp.

Well I cant speak on hate crime legislation because frankly I think its stupid and meaningless. The race, gender, or orientation of a victim and the same for the perp shouldn't factor in that issue that a crime has been committed. If a black robs another black he should be punished just as harshly as if it was a white person and vice versa. But to put "hate" into perspective. Black people murder, terrorize, rob, and just make life miserable for more of ourselves than you. Believe me. So we probably hate ourselves more than anyone else.

The noose is to black americans what the swastika is to Jews. The noose is a sign of terror and murder to black americans just as much as the bloods and crips are Terrorist. And yes, according to me, a noose directed at a black person is a sign of terror and has a specific message of murder and a sign of the horror we have gone through for the most part of our existence on this continent. Its not a hapless prank. Thats just the way it is. I'm sorry its something you cannot understand and I wouldn't expect you to. You don't have the history. You don't have any of your family telling you their experiences of hangings, not being able to go to a bathroom or drink out of a certain fountain or crosses burning on their lawns and their windows shot out. Being spit on and beaten or everyday wondering if this is going to be your last day on earth and hoping whatever happens its not to painful. Or how they are treated differently in the justice system and now someone can be tied behind a truck and dragged alive until his head ripped from his shoulders by self proclaimed white supremecist. and then a radio host, who doesn't like black music, would say on air , "and they wonder why we drag them behind trucks." The noose is a symbol to us of that.

Again I believe what is going on in Iraq and around the world cannot be compared to the issue of the noose. They are apples and oranges. One does not negate the other or compare. Like I said the word terrorism existed before crazy muslims murdered 2,000 of my neighbors, friends, and family.

And no one says americans are racist terrorist. I am an american. 99 percent of my circle are born and raised americans, of whatever background. I am neither racist nor spend my days finding ways to make people live in fear and nor are they. I'm sure your not doing it either. However if you look at the history of the world it has been very hard to not find any person of color that hasn't been dominated, suppressed and oppressed by whites. So in that some of us still experience this or feel we are experiencing this we are labled, "whiners" told to "get over it" or that we "imagine" stuff. Which is easy for the dominate race on the planet to tell people. You may not feel you are in the category being just an average person. Whites are the riches, most powerful, and most influential group of people on the planet and have nearly control over everything. Trust me on that.

And whatever I think they should have blown Afghanistan off the map, I've never supported the war in Iraq. And honestly I wish you weren't there fighting and instead at home with your family. And I don't like the shameful way the government treats those that serve and come back in need of care. My sister is in the army and got transfered to work at Walter Reid and she sees many men and women come back to housed in broken down, rat and roach infested conditions, hassling them about getting benefits and how they parading Jessica Lynch in front of all the soldiers missing legs, arms, burned. But having said all that it takes a special person to join the military and without you guys American the National Athem would probably be The "Horst-Wessel-Lied " and I wouldn't exist.
I agree with most things you said, but I dont agree with every thing you said. I think that you saying all black people are victims is about as much horse sh*t as you saying whites are the riches most powerful on the planet, as if all "white people" with the same skin tone form all over the world are in the same club. As far as who is the richest or most powerful "on the planet" you need to do some more research. This post of yours, was wrote well and probably applyed to a lot of black people, but it goes back to that whole "white people are the devil" mentality. People are people and they need to stop blameing the past for all there problems, and start to take personal responsibility for there actions! So thanks for posting, but if you dont know of any good old fashion cities in the south then rant to some on else. Thanks again.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,573,561 times
Default The Myth

I am white. 61 years. Born in S Georgia and reared there thru high school, grad UGA. Army 25 years.

Good old South? You mean the south where in my county only the poor white guys (me) and black guys were the ones the LOCAL draft board chose for the draft and of course Viet Nam. The sheriff never jailed one of the guys from the "best" families, but let the rest of us fool around and here comes the judge. Yessir, yesum.......mind your manners and stay out of trouble.

The old south was not a class system as much as a caste system. Thank goodness Vietnam rescued me from the good ole south. You can have it if you can find it.

If you are just dying to find someplace where you can feel safe, then check out Towns County, GA in North Georgia. It is the closest thing you are going to find for what you want. The only problem is that you are not a local so you better have the cash.

Old 02-04-2008, 11:05 PM

293 posts, read 570,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
I am white. 61 years. Born in S Georgia and reared there thru high school, grad UGA. Army 25 years.

Good old South? You mean the south where in my county only the poor white guys (me) and black guys were the ones the LOCAL draft board chose for the draft and of course Viet Nam. The sheriff never jailed one of the guys from the "best" families, but let the rest of us fool around and here comes the judge. Yessir, yesum.......mind your manners and stay out of trouble.

The old south was not a class system as much as a caste system. Thank goodness Vietnam rescued me from the good ole south. You can have it if you can find it.

If you are just dying to find someplace where you can feel safe, then check out Towns County, GA in North Georgia. It is the closest thing you are going to find for what you want. The only problem is that you are not a local so you better have the cash.

great post!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:28 PM

104 posts, read 452,846 times
Quote:

Thanks for your post, but me saying I wish I could find a town with the old southern feel to it with all the good things about the simpiler times, does not mean I agree with ever single thing that happened in between 1900-1950, lol, It makes me laugh at how dang negative people on here are! I support the war (mainly because I see first hand how much things are getting better over here), but that doesnt mean I think we have handled it perfectly, or that I agree with every thing about this war!! Any way some people will alwasy look for the bad in every thing! Thanks again for the post, Towns County looks beautiful, me and my wife are planning a trip up in that area when I return from Iraq, thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:28 PM

Default calls likes i seesum

i don't need your patronizing "thanks for your post" and then you say "some people find negation in everything". let me tell you, i have served in two of this country's wars and have lost friends in one of them; including a very close friend. in every case from my experience, it is usually the "poor" who go and the "rich" who don't but who send off the sons and daughters of others to do the dirty work. i don't give a rip how much "better" things are anywhere. nothing outside my own country's borders are worth the blood and body of one of my children or any other child. and for the record, i have a son on active duty. i hope you find what you are looking for, but don't preach to me on how i should feel about any issue. if i see negative, that is how i call it. end of message.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,035,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salo13 View Post
The "Old South" is "Gone With the Wind". They lost the big war. Get over it.
This thread has had surprising success at keeping out the flaming and bashing, please do not interrupt that continuity.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:39 AM

602 posts, read 1,963,173 times
Quote:
i don't need your patronizing "thanks for your post" and then you say "some people find negation in everything". let me tell you, i have served in two of this country's wars and have lost friends in one of them; including a very close friend. in every case from my experience, it is usually the "poor" who go and the "rich" who don't but who send off the sons and daughters of others to do the dirty work. i don't give a rip how much "better" things are anywhere. nothing outside my own country's borders are worth the blood and body of one of my children or any other child. and for the record, i have a son on active duty. i hope you find what you are looking for, but don't preach to me on how i should feel about any issue. if i see negative, that is how i call it. end of message.
Sir, thank you for your repeated service to our nation, whatever the circumstances. And that is genuine gratitude and respect, nothing else. I honestly believe that GABoy is not trying to "patronize" you, but rather to show respect and friendliness rather than simply ignoring or dismissing your post altogether. Please don't be angry.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:44 PM

Default Anger

please remember that the rule of thumb for "yelling" or "anger" usually involves CAPITAL LETTERS OR ALL CAPS. or, there is the **** words. none of those are in my posts because i am not angry despite your trying to divine the tone of my writing which is slightly impossible with this sort of medium.

i will let you know, unmistakably, if i am angry. and be assured, my service was not to my country. troops do not fight for their country despite what the flag waving neocons claim. troops fight to survive, the fight for their friends and buddies. there are actual studies that show that. oh, it is nice to for troops to get a welcome at an airport, unlike Oakland of course, but troops want to be home and not in some craphole doing something that those in line of fire know is a thankless task and one likely not to last any time at all.

cheers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia