Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,074,274 times

Advertisements

I am interested in anyone's perspective on Rome. My wife and I live in the Atlanta area and are thinking about relocating to Rome when we retire in a couple or three years.

When you respond do you mind telling me your age, sex and whether your comments are from years ago, now, or whatever? It will help me sort out the answers. And if you do mind providing the information about yourself, then just your thoughts will be appreciated anyway.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 12:48 PM

Red face My Bad re.->Seeking Opinions About Rome

Hey all,
I realize in hindsight that I spooked you all with my request for age/sex information if you responded to my request seeking information about Rome, GA. I apologize. Somewhat of a novice in this posting business and now realize that the request could be construed as bad-intent. It wasn't, just a novice here. The intent was to qualify the information, but that is not necessary. So, do accept my apology and forget about the personal information.

Now if you want to share any information, or opinions about Rome, GA I welcome them.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 9,698 times
Smile lived in Rome many years

If you are thinking of moving there for retirement I would say Rome tries to be well-suited for retirees. Here are some things you will find helpful in living well in Rome:

1- be White (really must be), Baptist or Methodist, upper middle class and enjoy golfing and chain eateries.

2- the healthcare options here are quite good (I work in healthcare). Almost any provider who is attached to Harbin Clinic has a well-deserved, excellent reputation. The Hospitalists at both hospitals are also generally excellent. There are plenty of frightening rumors about both hospitals (and in general I recommend Redmond over Floyd for most elective procedures and yes I have worked at both) but they are both alright. Rome has a way of chasing off more "maverick" (aka new) practitioners though... it is cliquish in the extreme but the vast majority of physicians here are treated like gods and folk heroes and are very happy here.

3- The best way to meet people in Rome is by attending church services or growing up here all along. If you did not do one or the other it is difficult to have a social life. Also golfing at the Coosa Country Club will introduce you to the movers and shakers (or maybe I should say the preventing moving and shaking'ers).

4- If you and your wife are just looking for an affordable home in a lovely landscape where you will spend most of your days puttering around the house while venturing out mostly for church services, doctors appointments, antiquing and going out to eat- it's a good match for you.

5- Beware though- Rome has a more brutal micro-climate than Atlanta. Wintertime is cloudy most days and colder than Atl and summer is much hotter, with storms that never touch I/OTP.

6- Unless you live directly around Shorter College, living in the old East Rome or on the East side of Rome will probably put you in contact with folks you may be able to blend with. West rome is fairly rough/immigrant/working class. But property crime happens everywhere. (thanks Meth).

7- Dont be seduced into thinking you will "just drive to Atlanta" for big-city needs. Atlanta is a prohibitive drive from Rome/an all day trip. And quite frankly, there is a spirit about the area in and around Rome that creates a great deal of inertia. Quickly.

8- and finally.... Rome is just a "different" kind of town with it's own desperate and creepy vibe; if you are one of the lucky ones to blend in well, you will probably enjoy it very. very much. If mentally ill people frighten you ("the Rege" aka NW regional dumps them in by the truckload) or blacks whose culture has been greatly affected by the brain drain of Atlanta frighten you, it might not be for you.

9- ok and really finally: people who live well here, live VERY well here . People who don't, DONT.

Best of luck to you!

Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,436,467 times
Glad I'm not moving to Rome, for the racist bigoted people that apparently ^^^ live there.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:10 PM

Convex...DTalluah is clearly a troll, or mis-guided preteen. We are no longer considering Rome though, for other reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia