Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 16,707 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone-
In the near future I will be working for the Department of the Army in Rome, GA and I am trying to figure out how I plan on working this. I have done a bit of research on the internet and let's just say the reviews have not been good when it comes to Rome, GA. I read up a little on surrounding towns but got mixed reviews on a lot of them. I really need some advice as to what would be the best place to live taking into consideration my needs and family make up. I am married 2 small children ( 4th grader and toddler). I was born and raised in a New York City, but working for the Army has helped me get accustomed to adapting quickly to different living situations. Since I have a small school aged child, a good school district is a must! I like the arts (live theater and live music) and I love learning about other cultures. I can tell Rome and many of the surrounding areas are rural (not thrilled about that), but there has to be some place in between where I can get the best of both worlds. Any advice would be greatly appreciated- thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 03:29 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
Mighty...depending on the length commute you could consider either NW suburbs of Atlanta (Kennesaw for instance), or Chattanooga. Rome itself is about 35K pop with a couple or three colleges, but I don't get a suburban vibe from it, if that is what you are looking for. I don't live there, so can't comment further. Hope this is helpful.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 AM

168 posts, read 637,244 times
Try Cartersville. It's a reasonable commute to Rome, especially considering you'd be going against the traffic. Acworth is farther in. From one of those, you'd have access to Rome as well as Acworth and Kennesaw's shopping, and "intown" feel.

Depending on how much you like driving, you could even live in Kennesaw.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:31 AM

1,265 posts, read 3,460,879 times
I live in Cartersville, and grew up in Rome. The is some live theater or music in Rome, via a community theater, and some good performances at Berry College and Shorter University. There are also some nice places on Broad Street that occasionally offer live music. If you are into sports, The Rome Braves play at State Mutual Stadium. Rome is much better than Cartersville in these regards, though Cartersville residents are only 30 or 45 minutes from most of the Greater Atlanta area. It's a very easy drive to Atlanta if you want to shop any every store imaginable, or if you want a night on the town

I commuted from Cartersville to Rome for a few years. The drive is not terrible, but it did get a little old (Highway 411 is a rather long, straight, boring stretch of road.) Overall, I prefer living in Cartersville. Being this close to Atlanta has its advantages.

Old 11-01-2010, 03:46 PM

102 posts, read 382,395 times
Your options are not that bad. Cartersville is the best choice commute wise. Plus it has much to offer in the arts. It has the Pumphouse Players Production Company that puts on several plays throughout the year. The Grand Theatre that also has several arts and entertainment events. One of the nicest art museums in the state in the Booth Museum. Also, one of the local high schools is a magnet school for the performing arts. As stated earlier Cartersville is close of enough to the city where going out for the night or weekend will be no problem or inconvenience. Acworth and Kennesaw are a little closer to Atlanta so they will be good choices as well but the commute would be a little longer but still not bad at all!

Old 11-14-2010, 01:14 PM

2 posts, read 16,707 times
@ all that responded
Thank you for the feedback! Any thoughts about schools? I've checked out a few sites that rate schools based off test scores, but any personal stories? Any info about neighborhoods to stay away from?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:16 PM

73 posts, read 165,196 times
Mightyquinn1913: Rome is a slow-w-w paced life city with not much happening. If you are into religion (Christianity basically) and like a slow paced life this city will suit you perfectly. People here are nice but somewhat old fashioned. I have lived here a while but cannot see myself growing old here. Cartersville was on the uprise when the recession hit. Rome currently has more to offer but Cartersville is closer to ATL which is a huge advantage! Schooling here in Rome is very good for a city its size. Montessori School(secular), St Mary's (Catholic), Unity Christian, Berry, Darlington are some of the better private schools in town. Montessori may work out for you as it is the closest to Cartersville. Best of luck with the move!

Old 07-18-2015, 02:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,346 times
Rome has colleges, wonderful artists, a lot of outdoor activities, a great cultural environment, and has good schools. I recommend living in Rome. It is is very livable.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:06 PM

36 posts, read 45,299 times
"you poor dumb...." Your going to be miserable.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:26 PM

1 posts, read 4,334 times
I'd second living in Acworth or Kennesaw (both being pretty much your typical Metro Atlanta suburbia) if you don't mind a 45 minute reverse commute. If you have ANY hobbies or interests whatsoever besides church and high school football, you're going to be bored out of your skull living near Rome/ Cartersville. Cobb schools are perhaps among the best in the entire Southeast. If you have any specific questions regarding your relocation, i will be happy to answer them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia