Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 04:37 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,549,608 times

Advertisements

I was born in Northwest Arkansas and have family there. The cities in that area (Fort Smith, Fayetteville) would not have what you want. Although in some parts of the countryside, where we lived, they can be intensely religious and "dry counties." It wasn't always the best when you're Catholic like me, but a few of the more German towns were strongly Catholic.

Being from Illinois you might prefer the Missouri side. I didn't spend much time there, but they seem to have a good deal of conservative churches and politics. Although there may be some Spanish speakers in the larger towns. I don't know how strong your aversion to non-English speakers is, but even in the Ozarks I think you may hear some non-English in the chicken processing factories or in some hotels. I'm thinking you're not planning on going to watch people process chicken, but maybe you'd deal with the hotel thing. If a hotel maid didn't speak good English would that be a problem for you or okay? If it's a problem there might be someone who spent more time there that can tell you if I'm wrong. There might be plenty of Ozark towns where all hotel maids speak English as a first language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 04:43 PM

128 posts, read 298,211 times
The Ozarks are nice. Took a trip there recently. Springfield isn't really a "small town" but it's close to what you're talking about. Maybe Harrison, Arkansas, if you really want more of a small town feel. Fayeteville has the University so there are some liberals running around, but still relatively conservative and a pretty town. I'd stay away from Bentonville though. That's conservative but it's corporate conservative Wal Mart headquarters rather than traditionalist.

Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM

185 posts, read 399,776 times
thanks for the info. I remember going to Boomland, the fireworks store in the Ozarks a few times. It had some good country there.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:57 PM

any more suggestions?

Old 04-30-2010, 05:56 PM

I seem to recall mentioning a town called Aleneva in Alaska that's made up of Russian Old Believers. The Old Believers broke off from Russian Orthodoxy because they felt it got too liberal. (I think the Russian Orthodox started having depictions of Mary where she seemed to have a blush in her cheeks and for awhile they even encouraged priests to shave!) The only power the people of Aleneva use is generators and I believe they make their own clothes. Although they use modern tools and utilities. They live on gardening, small livestock, fishing and hunting. Now that's traditional and old-fashioned! However I think they speak Russian, not English, and many of them are foreign.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Aleneva-Alaska.html
http://nl.newsbank.com/nl-search/we/...ckval=GooglePM

If you want outside the South parts of Western Kansas are fairly religious and strongly Republican. Jefferson County, Nebraska looks to be in a place that's strongly Republican and has high religious affiliation. Although in a "liberal state" Sioux County, Iowa is strongly Republican voting, Reformed Church, and it has two Christian colleges.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:07 PM

Once again thanks for the all of your input Thomas, it's very helpful. Although I don't mind states in the South at all either.

Thanks

Old 04-30-2010, 11:00 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,208,299 times
Bigotville, USA

Old 04-30-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Bigotville, USA
The only Bigotville seems to be in Luxembourg. Its current name comes from the French Baroque painter Trophime Bigot. Bigot had a summer home in the town, which was then called Bungeref. The correct pronunciation is more like "Big-Oh-Vee."

As the smile indicates I made that all up. Although there was a Baroque painter named Trophime Bigot and there is a town in Luxembourg named Bigonville that's called "Bungeref" in another language.

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,247,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo View Post
No, I am not racist and I do not want any other comments, I would just like my question answered please, thank you!

Could you please tell me what town, county, or area fits my description best

I'm looking for a place where every speaks English and everyone is Christian and goes out to Church on Sunday. I'm looking for a place where having a party doesn't involve getting drunk or smoking pot. I'm looking for the most traditional place in America. Somewhere that is as close to pre civil war as possible. Where all the kids say ma'am or sir and they dress properly, they have manners and open the door for people. A place where people drive American cars and fly American flags. I'm looking for an area where I can go to a McDonalds or get my lawn cut by someone who is actually an American. Somewhere where people play traditional Old time music and bluegrass. I'm looking for a place that is NOT "multi-cultural". Please do not answer "any place in the South" because it's just not that way anymore.

Maybe I'm dreaming? Any responses are greatly appreciated, thank you!
Fort Smith, Arkansas. Easily the most conservative town in the entire US.

Old 05-01-2010, 03:05 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,130,473 times
Look at the Tri-cities area of TN, around Kingsport and surrounding towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.