Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Looks like the area you are looking for is east of the Mississippi River (but can extend westward into Missouri), south of Michigan, west of the Appalachians, and north of Florida. Somewhere in there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 10:06 PM

185 posts, read 399,909 times
thanks for the replys!

Old 04-25-2010, 10:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Nowhere in California though there are counties that are more conservative than others. The racial\ethnic mix is so varied that all-white communities do not exist in California. Church influence is so\ so due to Catholics disillusioned by clergy behavior & a tendency toward atheism.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:28 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Was the OP specifying white? I thought s/he was just specifying English-speaking, Christian, and culturally American. Many black people have been in this country longer than many of my ancestors, value Christianity, and speak proper English. (I watched a bit of that "American Idol gives back" and stereotypes be danged, the poor rural black kids spoke more "standard English" than the Appalachians IMO) Granted California will mean more Hispanic, but I think there are Hispanics who have been here for generations and are quite devout.

That was one thing I liked about the movie Gran Torino. He was kind of a bigot, but he came to realize the people in his life who best represented values of respect and tradition were Southeast Asian immigrants. (Who dealt with his bigotries with almost amazing fortitude and good humor thus winning him over. Although some of my Arkansas relatives hated them as foreigners, many conservatives now love the Hmong and Vietnamese immigrants because they're so anti-Communist and often highly religious) Although fiction I've found many Southeast Asians really represent the kind of conservatism I like. More restrained at times, but also exuberantly devout and supportive of tradition. Granted I know the OP doesn't want that, meaning immigrants, but still I don't know that s/he required whites.

Old 04-26-2010, 01:42 AM

1,020 posts, read 2,755,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
Nowhere in California though there are counties that are more conservative than others. The racial\ethnic mix is so varied that all-white communities do not exist in California. Church influence is so\ so due to Catholics disillusioned by clergy behavior & a tendency toward atheism.
I have to disagree with some of this. Rural Northern California is basically indistinguishable from rural Colorado, Montana, or Idaho. It's the Mountain West. There might be a few extra ethnic Mexicans, but they're technically white anyway, and most of them in the Mountain West are no different culturally than Northern Europeans. Where I'm from (Sierra Foothills), the vast majority of folks are WASPs. I don't think that's a good or bad thing, however, it's just the way it is. The good ol' boy network is alive and well here, and thankfully, I'm a 6th generation member of this county (since the 1850's), so my family name is known well enough to open doors for me.

To the OP, I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for. Maybe Alaska?

P.S. I think it's important to note that, in my opinion, the Hispanic influence on California is great. I love the food and the culture. Hispanics are predominately Catholic, and typically very family oriented and extremely friendly. They also provide the backbone of agricultural industry, which is the most productive in the world and more than twice as important as our next largest industry (and a large part of why California would have the 8th largest economy, if it were a country).

Old 04-26-2010, 03:10 AM

5,816 posts, read 15,917,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Looks like the area you are looking for is east of the Mississippi River (but can extend westward into Missouri), south of Michigan, west of the Appalachians, and north of Florida. Somewhere in there.
I'm guessing you could extend that farther west, like far enough to include the Plains states. You might want to research specific cities and towns. I don't think you can expect an entire state to fit the OP's description. For example, I've heard--don't know from personal observation, but I've heard--that in the Plains states the towns with meat-packing plants tend to have significant Hispanic populations (legal and illegal), while this is not so much the case in towns that aren't centers of the meat processing industry.

Oldtimebanjo, depending on what version of this way of life you're looking for, you might actually find something of this sort in more rural areas of northern New England and upstate New York, despite the fact that these areas are generally thought of as "blue." In New Hampshire, northern Maine, and some more rural parts of NY state what you'll find is small towns with a sense of community, and a somewhat libertarian brand of conservatism. This might not be what you're looking for in some ways because that libertarian streak can include placing a high value on minding one's own business, which means that people are likely to be okay for the most part with the lesbian couple down the street, and with their being open about their sexuality, so long as those lesbians don't get into anyone's face about the issue.

But one cautionary note, in case you feel that my above description of those red sections of blue states sounds unappealing, is that you really aren't going to find any place where truly everyone lives the way you describe. You can probably find places where these attitudes predominate, but I seriously doubt that you could pick any collection of attitudes and find a place where every single person in the place held those views. You're going to need to accept some variety of views anywhere you might live if you're going to be happy there.

Old 04-26-2010, 09:58 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Methinks the OP might like Colby, KS.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:42 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Northwestern New Jersey might be what you are in search of, especially Sussex, Warren and Hunterdon counties.

Central Pennsylvania, and all of North Dakota, other than the Indian reservations are other candidates.

Old 04-26-2010, 12:17 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,389,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widowmaker2k View Post
I have to disagree with some of this. Rural Northern California is basically indistinguishable from rural Colorado, Montana, or Idaho. It's the Mountain West. There might be a few extra ethnic Mexicans, but they're technically white anyway, and most of them in the Mountain West are no different culturally than Northern Europeans. Where I'm from (Sierra Foothills), the vast majority of folks are WASPs. I don't think that's a good or bad thing, however, it's just the way it is. The good ol' boy network is alive and well here, and thankfully, I'm a 6th generation member of this county (since the 1850's), so my family name is known well enough to open doors for me.

To the OP, I don't think you're going to find what you are looking for. Maybe Alaska?

P.S. I think it's important to note that, in my opinion, the Hispanic influence on California is great. I love the food and the culture. Hispanics are predominately Catholic, and typically very family oriented and extremely friendly. They also provide the backbone of agricultural industry, which is the most productive in the world and more than twice as important as our next largest industry (and a large part of why California would have the 8th largest economy, if it were a country).
You consider "rural California" as being WASP's? Rural to me includes the entire Central Valley & desert regions. And in those farm counties WASP's are the distinct minority. The remote mountain counties with a very small fraction of California's population may have cities that the OP could live in though.

Racial and ancestral makeup
According to the 2008 ACS Estimates,[6] California's population is:

Old 04-26-2010, 12:19 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,597,806 times
MIKE - Northwestern NJ is MODERATELY conservative. I definelty would not put those counties in the same category as West Virginia or parts of the South. Especially, considering the recent population growth in those areas. I have a relative living in Warren County. When he first moved out there 15 years ago, it was rural. Now, it is suburban sprawl. Even Sussex, which remains relatively rural, is not THAT rural.

I am not saying that Northwestern NJ is in any way Liberal. I am just saying that it is moderately conservative and does not belong in the very conservative category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.