Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,098 times

Advertisements

but what is a "real city" what does one have to have to be "REAL"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2007, 02:53 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
but what is a "real city" what does one have to have to be "REAL"?
See, now I wish I hadn't said that . It really doesn't mean anything in particular besides the fact that D.C. doesn't feel like a real city to me...TO ME

Old 04-18-2007, 03:02 PM

oh ok, no prob, i thought it was for discussion, Peace my brotha

Old 04-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Quote:
oh ok, no prob, i thought it was for discussion, Peace my brotha
Um, it's sista, actually lol.

Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM

143 posts, read 873,270 times
DC is nice minus the crime. Only spent a day there so dont know too much. But I could see how it can come out high on the list

I used to want to move to ATL but its gotten to the point where its just become a stereotypical place for blacks to move and I d rather not be around lemmings. The rumors of ATL being a "fashion show" is true. Although ATL clearly has the history behind it. Not to mention the moderately good weather

Houston is bigger than I though but its such a transient city, not much of a community feeling to me but its definatly a emerging "black mecca". Good weather

Never been to Raleigh, Charlotte, or Nashville. Everytime I hear Nashville all I think about is country hicks. Sorry..I know thats likely not true tho.

Wasnt particularily impressed with Dallas. Of the TX cities id take Houston over Dallas it seems a bit more black friendly.

Indy.Well its better than its reputation. I met some of the nicest black folk there, and I felt a sense of community but I think of all the cities its probably the blandest. I think being smack dab in the middle of Indiana hurts it.

Columbus, I must disclose is my hometown (I dont live there) but I regret leaving. Cbus consistantly top these list. It didnt top this one but it did top the list BET came out with this year. While its lacking in the black history dept, it makes up in its cleaness, economy (one of the best in the nation) and the amount of professional blacks there with a sense of purpose. I think its the best city outside the south minus the various "namebrand" cities (NY, CHI, LA, etc).

Jacksonville has annexed alot of land, I have family there who hates the place. But JVILLE is one of the few places in Florida I havent been.

Last edited by vader; 04-18-2007 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
DC is nice minus the crime. Only spent a day there so dont know too much. But I could see how it can come out high on the list

I used to want to move to ATL but its gotten to the point where its just become a stereotypical place for blacks to move and I d rather not be around lemmings. The rumors of ATL being a "fashion show" is true. Although ATL clearly has the history behind it. Not to mention the moderately good weather

Houston is bigger than I though but its such a transient city, not much of a community feeling to me but its definatly a emerging "black mecca". Good weather

Never been to Raleigh, Charlotte, or Nashville. Everytime I hear Nashville all I think about is country hicks. Sorry..I know thats likely not true tho.

Wasnt particularily impressed with Dallas. Of the TX cities id take Houston over Dallas it seems a bit more black friendly.

Indy.Well its better than its reputation. I met some of the nicest black folk there, and I felt a sense of community but I think of all the cities its probably the blandest. I think being smack dab in the middle of Indiana hurts it.

Columbus, I must disclose is my hometown (I dont live there) but I regret leaving. Cbus consistantly top these list. It didnt top this one but it did top the list BET came out with this year. While its lacking in the black history dept, it makes up in its cleaness, economy (one of the best in the nation) and the amount of professional blacks there with a sense of purpose. I think its the best city outside the south minus the various "namebrand" cities (NY, CHI, LA, etc).

Jacksonville has annexed alot of land, I have family there who hates the place. But JVILLE is one of the few places in Florida I havent been.
I think that Houston is far too big to ever be a Black mecca. There's too much of an even mixture of cultures to be a "black city." It's more of a business mecca in my opinion and is falling in line with New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles.

Old 04-18-2007, 07:29 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
My single friends in ATL complain it's very popular among black men who are openly gay as well as men who are on the down low (married to or dating women but sleeping with men). Those anecdotes from my friends and the reasons vader mentioned make me want to avoid the area as a place of permanent residence.

As Black Enterprise is a financial magazine, I suppose all cities with a large and financially prosperous black presence will appear on this list at some point.

Old 04-18-2007, 08:45 PM

Nashville is great, it is not only country music capital but is also gospel music capital and so Black Enterprise named it one of the top 10 cities for blacks.

Sure anyplace could be but the article has a criteria for why, based on economics, social and quality of life issues and jobs.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:32 PM

52 posts, read 122,257 times
Quote:
Nashville is great, it is not only country music capital but is also gospel music capital and so Black Enterprise named it one of the top 10 cities for blacks.

Sure anyplace could be but the article has a criteria for why, based on economics, social and quality of life issues and jobs.
Could not agree more and Nashville is also home to three Historically Black Colleges.

Old 04-18-2007, 09:38 PM

oh yeah i forgot, my Grandfather went to med school there.

I went to an HBCU in Jackson MS, where most of my family went that and SC state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.