Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,577,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
"It's the "big three." Meaning, New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. Everybody else in in the 2nd tier. " -Spade

THANK YOU...The houston boosters can get a little annoying. Id personally even throw Atlanta over Houston on the 2nd tier.
Well that's you. And I'm no Houston booster. I'm not even from here. I just call it how I see it. Houston is a city with few people in its corner (on this website). So I'm here for the truth. If you have a problem with that, then keep whining about it, but it won't do me any harm. I know the things that I speak on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthreex View Post

I would almost go out on a limb due to the unique position of Detroit in terms of overall blacks in leadership, government, etc., that if any city should be included with the "Big three" (NY, LA, Chi) it should be Detroit.
"The big three" and "the big four" have nothing to do with blacks. Those terms refer to economy, diversity, size, ammenities, etc.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM

699 posts, read 2,237,258 times
Why is there a big four? The big 3 of Chicago, NY, and LA are huge attractions to people even though they are tremendously overcrowded and overpriced. They are established and internationally WELL-known.

People are attracted to cities in the sunbelt because it's cheap and sunny. I don't know how many people will flock to Atlanta or Houston if housing there cost as much as any of the other areas.

As for african-americans, that article stated the reasons for making D.C. the number one choice was due to

1) robust job market and 2) top notch cultural activities

They have the highest median home value for african americans in the whole list at $404,900.

A con is quality of education in the city itself, while the D.C. suburbs have some of the best public school systems in the country.

They also have the highest black educated population of the cities, with the highest percentage of college and high school graduates.

You just have to read the article to know what their criteria is.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Why is there a big four? The big 3 of Chicago, NY, and LA are huge attractions to people even though they are tremendously overcrowded and overpriced. They are established and internationally WELL-known.
There's a Big Four because I say so. Houston is entirely too big and diverse to be compared to cities that are smaller and largely black and white. Time will prove this.

Quote:
People are attracted to cities in the sunbelt because it's cheap and sunny. I don't know how many people will flock to Atlanta or Houston if housing there cost as much as any of the other areas.
Wrong for two reasons: I flocked over here to lead the best possible life I could, and where I live in the city is actually not all that cheap. I'm not alone. People move to any city because they want to. People love cities because they realize its special, unique quality. Just because no one else sees it, it doesn't mean it's not there.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:10 PM

607 posts, read 2,981,656 times
Atlanta I think, they also already have alot of african-americans. that city would probably be best.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:17 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times
Wouldn't any city with a majority black population be good for African Americans.Even if there was bad race relations in the city,people tend to stick by thier race.

Old 07-27-2007, 03:41 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,918,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Wouldn't any city with a majority black population be good for African Americans.Even if there was bad race relations in the city,people tend to stick by thier race.
And what about those who would like to integrate, and especially those blacks who are shunned because of their general modesty, academic intelligence and willingness to have friends and lovers outside of their race. Seems that the 2000s America wants to act like moderate, non-stereotypical blacks don't exist. Not that I'm mad at a particular person, but there are many other blacks out there side to the gangsters, poor, and militant.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:10 PM

143 posts, read 873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Fairfaxian View Post
And what about those who would like to integrate, and especially those blacks who are shunned because of their general modesty, academic intelligence and willingness to have friends and lovers outside of their race. Seems that the 2000s America wants to act like moderate, non-stereotypical blacks don't exist. Not that I'm mad at a particular person, but there are many other blacks out there side to the gangsters, poor, and militant.
So lemme guess, your with a white women..

Old 07-27-2007, 08:15 PM

143 posts, read 873,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
There's a Big Four because I say so.

..But you do know Houston has the lowest housing prices for a big city. That was a big reason relatives of mine moved there. I dont think thats a bad thing but you cant deny it is realtively cheap there.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:54 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,657,733 times
Im just saying through,from all the neighborhoods I've experienced,blacks live around blacks,whites around whites,my old suburb,Euclid Ohio,whites and blacks don't get along.Im glad I am not like that.I would prefer to live around african americans,and I think african american women are the nicest looking.Unfortunatly there is still alot of people that would like to keep things segregated.There is some places where everything is integrated,but alot of cities aren't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.