Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 PM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,128 posts, read 7,547,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tezcatlipoca View Post
You're too generous with the Mid-Atlantic in Virginia, and not all of Maryland is in that region either. The Mid-Atlantic does not spread all the way down to Richmond and the Tidewater, and the Upper South should go up to Route 50 or so in Maryland. Southern Maryland, the Lower Eastern Shore, and Tidewater Virginia are all southern in dialect and culture.
ALL of Maryland is Mid-Atlantic, and about 1/3 of Virginia is also. Pretty much anything that touches the Chesapeake Bay is Mid-Atlantic without argument, but as you go south and west of there it changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:36 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,727,826 times
Some of these maps have Selinsgrove, PA as part of the Midwest and/or Great Lakes.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 AM

1,512 posts, read 2,362,620 times
Pretty good map and I seem to agree with most of it. But for Texas, maybe the Deep South and Southwest should touch west of the Abilene metro area, along Austin and maybe along San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

But then again, I also don't consider Austin, San Antonio, Corpus Christi and Abilene to have too many similarities with the Deep South which warrants these places being the defining border between Deep South and Southwest.

Now that I think about it, I think an issue with the map is the name "Upland South" as that restricts its defining area to north of what is considered the "Deep South". I think Upland South should be renamed to something like "Exterior South", "Periphery South", etc. and then the "Exterior/Periphery South" can include the Abilene metro area (but not go west of that) go along Austin, maybe San Antonio and Corpus Christi.

In other words, Abilene, Austin, San Antonio and Corpus Christi can define the border between the Southwest and Exterior/Periphery South while Houston and Dallas can define the border between the Exterior/Periphery South and Deep South. Maybe we can say that the Deep South starts east of the Dallas and Houston metro area borders?

I'm sure Texans can offer better suggestions though.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:28 AM

66 posts, read 52,555 times
It is hard to truly define a region because they're are so many factors that go into it. Geography, Culture, and Climate.

If we were just talking about Geography:
Southeast: Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.
South: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.
Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
Great Plains: North and South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas.
Midwest: Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.
Northeast: West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Alaska, and Hawaii are not included.

Old 01-22-2017, 12:45 PM

969 posts, read 2,071,690 times
So relieved to finally have these regions defined, should bring an end to any debates. Although Maryland & DE are southeast, TX & OK are southwest, WV & KY are south, NY is northern mid-atlantic, PA is south mid-atlantic, OH is north-eastern southern mid-west, and Alaska is super duper PNW. And KS is south-western mid-west. Spot on otherwise.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:10 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcoble7 View Post
It is hard to truly define a region because they're are so many factors that go into it. Geography, Culture, and Climate.

If we were just talking about Geography:
Southeast: Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, and Alabama.
South: Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
Southwest: New Mexico, Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.
Northwest: Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
Great Plains: North and South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas.
Midwest: Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, and Kentucky.
Northeast: West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.
Alaska, and Hawaii are not included.

Old 01-22-2017, 01:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,499,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
So relieved to finally have these regions defined, should bring an end to any debates. Although Maryland & DE are southeast, TX & OK are southwest, WV & KY are south, NY is northern mid-atlantic, PA is south mid-atlantic, OH is north-eastern southern mid-west, and Alaska is super duper PNW. And KS is south-western mid-west. Spot on otherwise.
LOL on Kansas.

Old 04-02-2018, 10:52 AM

19 posts, read 30,731 times
Hi Everyone — Recently, based in part on reviewing dozens of CD discussions like this one, I've finished the "beta testing" version of a county-based map of the regions of the US. What makes it different is that, rather than relying on more nebulous, hard-to-define senses of "culture," it is based on empirical data about environment and economy that is easily available for all 3,142 counties. I've started a thread to gather feedback on it, and I'm mentioning it here because it directly connects with the topic of this discussion.

CD thread:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...based-map.html

The map itself:
https://inthearenas.files.wordpress...._draft_v28.jpg

My criteria for defining the regions and assigning counties to them:
https://tinyurl.com/JPMapRules

Last edited by JMT; 03-17-2024 at 04:05 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 02:08 PM

828 posts, read 647,325 times
Map is mostly decent, although I'd recommend the following changes

Upland South extends too far East: Should go no further east than Raleigh and southeast NC should be in the Deep South (actually arguably most of eastern NC should be, but not sure what to do with Outer Banks). SE Virginia is also hard to place.

Great Lakes should be pushed east in Minnesota; only covers the immediate shore near Lake Superior IMO and the rest is really Great Plains (both north and south).

Finally, in my opinion, Southwest should go well into southern UT as well as parts of southern CO more than they do.

Old 04-02-2018, 02:58 PM

19 posts, read 30,731 times
NDFan, just curious — did you have a chance to see the map I just posted (I'm putting it below as well, for your convenience)? I think it addresses more of your comments.

I think my map addresses the points you raised, though perhaps not to the exact degree you'd prefer. (My Great Lakes region, for example, extends as far west as it does because I wanted to keep the whole Iron Range in the same region.)

My criteria for assigning each county are here: http://tinyurl.com/JPMapRules, but the most important factors are EPA ecoregions and dominant industry(ies).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
Upland South extends too far East: Should go no further east than Raleigh and southeast NC should be in the Deep South (actually arguably most of eastern NC should be, but not sure what to do with Outer Banks). SE Virginia is also hard to place.

Great Lakes should be pushed east in Minnesota; only covers the immediate shore near Lake Superior IMO and the rest is really Great Plains (both north and south).

Finally, in my opinion, Southwest should go well into southern UT as well as parts of southern CO more than they do.
https://inthearenas.files.wordpress...._draft_v28.jpg

Last edited by JMT; 03-17-2024 at 04:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.