Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2011, 06:23 PM

26 posts, read 51,711 times

Advertisements

Its amazing how many people talk about south Florida, and I guess so many of us can't be wrong. I am stuck in south Florida, and I really HATE IT. I have lived in many places (Chicago, San Diego, Pensacola, Jacksonville NC), but South Florida is the worst. People are rude, superficial, selfish, and dont have any idea of how to drive a car. Cost of living is very high and wages are very low, which presents a big problem for a lot of people just trying to survive. There are a lot of elderly people (Retirement area), racist cubans, ghetto blacks, and many illegal immigrants that make this place a living hell... and no, I am not racist nor I am white, I am a LEGAL immigrant (I had to wait 9 years to get my residence) but is the sad truth, not even in the Chicago projects I've ever found people so rude and aggresive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

410 posts, read 835,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofhere77 View Post
Its amazing how many people talk about south Florida, and I guess so many of us can't be wrong. I am stuck in south Florida, and I really HATE IT. I have lived in many places (Chicago, San Diego, Pensacola, Jacksonville NC), but South Florida is the worst. People are rude, superficial, selfish, and dont have any idea of how to drive a car. Cost of living is very high and wages are very low, which presents a big problem for a lot of people just trying to survive. There are a lot of elderly people (Retirement area), racist cubans, ghetto blacks, and many illegal immigrants that make this place a living hell... and no, I am not racist nor I am white, I am a LEGAL immigrant (I had to wait 9 years to get my residence) but is the sad truth, not even in the Chicago projects I've ever found people so rude and aggresive
I don't mind the old people, etc - it's the high cost of living combined with lower-than-average wages, hot weather year round, and the superficiality as you pointed out. I can deal with a lot of things, but I hate superficiality (is that a word?)...

Old 07-28-2011, 03:33 PM

26,477 posts, read 46,782,324 times
I wouldn't recommend the Ohio River valley cities to anyone I know...

Old 07-28-2011, 08:51 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,830,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Second that.

Old 08-01-2011, 06:09 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,091,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post

So no Cincinnati or Pittsburgh??

Old 08-01-2011, 07:36 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,052,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
I shoot myself! Very conservative place here
Agreed.. My parents moved from Charlotte to Rock Hill 2 years ago and thet cant stand it. They are looking to move back to University City or Lake Norman. Whenever we visit them uts like we never left Greensboro...

Old 08-01-2011, 07:42 AM

1,037 posts, read 2,052,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicislife.glee View Post
Does that matter though? I'm in the Piedmont Triad, about 45 minutes from Greensboro. I just don't like the culture here, or the schools for that matter. I hate the weather (I'm a hardcore winter person and absolutely abhor summers). I miss my native Philadelphia and New York.
You'll probably tell me that there are many people from the Northeast moving here, but I don't really care if there are a lot of transplants here. That doesn't matter to me, because I'm still here, and I don't want to be, it's great for them (if they are happy, because I happen to know a few that would like to go back to Western NY as soon as they can *gasp*). For me, NC is not the "Paradise" that everyone else seems to think it is, but I guess that's just me.
I don't like when people say (or imply) that I should like North Carolina, and I'm just in the wrong part, implying that I would be happier in another part of the same state, instead of just out of it like I desperately want to be.
Yeah, the Triad can do that to ya

Old 08-01-2011, 04:13 PM

166 posts, read 613,119 times
Default Leaving Tennessee next year

Currently, I'm living in Middle Tennessee, commuting from Murfreesboro to Columbia. While I came here as a young child (4 years old), I don't consider myself a native Tennessean or Southerner in any sense. My parents want to relocate to Florida once my mother is retired in 4 years. My sister may or not stay once she is done with college, but as soon as I get my degree this December, I'm going to start looking for two jobs I can work for about 6 months next year so I can be living in New Jersey by summer.

I have lots of extended family there who have told me I can stay with them until I can support myself (as well as a few cousins in my age range who say that would love to room with me so they can be moved out the house).

While I would not say that I hate Tennessee, I do think that I really do not fit here. I'm not religious whatsoever, very small amount of exposure to outside cultures, ABHOR country music, am a hardcore liberal (though if people were more fiscally conservative than socially backwards, this would be less of an issue), and am not to fond of Southern accents in general. Granted, my best friend who lives in Nashville says that my upbringing in a small town probably had something to do with my disliking of Tennessee in general.

I know high taxes, aggressive drivers, cold winters, blunt personalities and guidos are all my way... and I can't wait!

Old 08-03-2011, 12:11 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,571,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeboy25 View Post
Currently, I'm living in Middle Tennessee, commuting from Murfreesboro to Columbia. While I came here as a young child (4 years old), I don't consider myself a native Tennessean or Southerner in any sense. My parents want to relocate to Florida once my mother is retired in 4 years. My sister may or not stay once she is done with college, but as soon as I get my degree this December, I'm going to start looking for two jobs I can work for about 6 months next year so I can be living in New Jersey by summer.

I have lots of extended family there who have told me I can stay with them until I can support myself (as well as a few cousins in my age range who say that would love to room with me so they can be moved out the house).

While I would not say that I hate Tennessee, I do think that I really do not fit here. I'm not religious whatsoever, very small amount of exposure to outside cultures, ABHOR country music, am a hardcore liberal (though if people were more fiscally conservative than socially backwards, this would be less of an issue), and am not to fond of Southern accents in general. Granted, my best friend who lives in Nashville says that my upbringing in a small town probably had something to do with my disliking of Tennessee in general.

I know high taxes, aggressive drivers, cold winters, blunt personalities and guidos are all my way... and I can't wait!
To each their own!

I personally love Tennessee. Got a couple of real good friends in Pegram. I know the folks who run Cave Springs.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:51 PM

26,477 posts, read 46,782,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwave09 View Post
So no Cincinnati or Pittsburgh??
Maybe Pittsburgh. The poor air quality and pollution problems are major reasons why I don't recommend the region in general. It just isn't a very healthy place to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.