Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2010, 12:10 PM

961 posts, read 2,565,681 times

Advertisements

I'd love to hear from people who feel stuck where they live due to a job or inability to sell their house etc... How do you handle it? What kinds of things do you do to cope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 06:18 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
It's a difficult place to be, and life is far too short to be stuck like that. I know it's easier to get a job elsewhere than dump a house where you owe more than it's worth, but one has to figure we're not going back to the inflated home prices of 2007 anytime soon. You have to decide whether you feel comfortable having this same conversation three years from now....or would you rather start over in a new place and with a new job, on your own terms.

Old 08-06-2010, 06:41 AM

58 posts, read 138,828 times
I live in Michigan and I feel stuck here. Due to the economy it is hard to find a job in another state especially since I have not been in the work force long (3 years). Also having a family I can't just wing it in move without securing employment first.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:11 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
I felt this before I left my hometown when I was 20. I ended up moving to an even crappier place.

I left the crappier place after a windfall.

The next place was MUCH better, but ended up leaving it for a job opportunity after two years. The place with the new job was even better than the previous place, but then I had to move back to the previous (not as good) place, and am still here, and feel a little STUCK here.

Excellent coping mechanism = a social hobby you enjoy.

I play poker at local bars for fun. If it wasn't for that, I don't think I'd be as balanced mentally as I am now, sad as it sounds. It gives me something to look forward to at the end of the week. My wife and I make more-than-decent money, and aren't struggling, but I don't want to live here forever, but it's good enough in the interim (the social hobby makes a huge difference in making here not seem so bad).

The plan: return to my happy place when finances/circumstances allow it. No sense in wallowing in the meantime when I can keep the dream alive.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:29 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,035,535 times
i do not feel stuck in any of the three cities I live in. Austin (School)/Chicago (primary residence)/Houston (primary residence)

I love each and every single one of those three places, entirely different from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.