Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 05:59 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,601,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innotech View Post
49 other states are worse than Louisiana.

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 06:00 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,929,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I thought guns were illegal in the city of Chicago?
No. You are allowed to possess firearms in your residence with a State issued Gun Card (Called a FOID Card) and a city of Chicago license.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,929,940 times
Louisiana is by far the worst in my opinion.

Old 07-03-2011, 06:35 PM

8,126 posts, read 10,746,665 times
Moving does make a difference sometimes. I spent my first 36 years in Maryland, near D.C. I knew the last 15 years I was there that I wanted out. I've NEVER had any desire to move back to that area (Metro D.C.). You couldn't pay me enough. I don't even like to visit the area.

Live in Montana for two years - it was beautiful, but SO secluded and depressing for some reason. The towns are just too spread out - you have to drive and drive to get from one place of "civilization" to another.

Now in North Carolina. I've always spent time here, this is where my mother grew up and we have a large family here. But it's losing it's charm, or I'm changing, not sure which. The cost of living is definitely low in the more rural areas, and it's very scenic. Just not enough intelligent conversation going on, I don't know how else to put it. I often find that I can converse better with the "dreaded transplants" from New Jersey and places like New Hampshire than I can with the native southern people here. It just seems that people live in an isolated little Wal-mart world here; not much thinking outside the box. That, and it's too freakin' hot.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 PM

449 posts, read 1,137,776 times
Long Island. Expensive Humid Snobbish Sprawled Racist blah blah I could go on forever.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,416 times
Upper Michigan. it's terrible. I don't know what I did in my past life to be born here, but it was probably awful. haha.

you ready for my list?

first of all, - there's barely anything to do unless you are really into outdoor activities (which I'm not, I only like the beach).
- closest mall to shop in is a 3 hour drive away in Green Bay, WI area.
- closest concerts/big city events are a 6 hour drive to Milwaukee, 7 hours to Chicago, or 8 hours to Detroit.
- the winters are the worst and snowiest in the US not including the mountains or Alaska. and last until May. seriously people in the state of New York think they get snow? HA!
- the roads are terrible due to the ice and huge mining and logging trucks destroying them. there's a funny saying... Michigan has 2 seasons - winter and construction.
- it's hardly diverse, pretty much 99% white. and I hate it lol.
- it's incredibly hard to find a job due to Michigan's not so good economy plus the rural area without many businesses to even apply at.
- the "Yooper" culture and stereotype is incredibly embarrassing (outhouse races, deer season being considered a holiday by the schools, drinking beer in the woods... you get the idea. rent the movie 'Escanaba in Da Moonlight' to see more).
- in the summer it can get very humid and buggy. I've been to Florida a few times and they have barely any bugs compared to here.
- our weather is totally strange due to Lake Superior
- everyone thinks we don't even exist and that we're part of Canada and I've even seen quite a few maps that didn't include the UP of Michigan. Michigan's shaped like a mitten right? wrong! there's an entire mass of land to the north people forget about! it's 1/3 of the land of Michigan but only includes 3% of the population, but still! we're here! lol
- hardly any opportunities for careers I'm interested in. ETC ETC!

only good things I can say is that our water tastes better than anywhere I've ever traveled (don't know how everyone survives on that pool water on tap lol), there's no pollution, and that there isn't bad traffic most of the time.

oh but I get free college at the local school so I'd be stupid to move away... *sigh* can't wait until I can ESCAPE! haha

Old 07-06-2011, 05:41 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,699,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmb View Post
Upper Michigan. it's terrible. I don't know what I did in my past life to be born here, but it was probably awful. haha.

you ready for my list?

first of all, - there's barely anything to do unless you are really into outdoor activities (which I'm not, I only like the beach).
- closest mall to shop in is a 3 hour drive away in Green Bay, WI area.
- closest concerts/big city events are a 6 hour drive to Milwaukee, 7 hours to Chicago, or 8 hours to Detroit.
- the winters are the worst and snowiest in the US not including the mountains or Alaska. and last until May. seriously people in the state of New York think they get snow? HA!
- the roads are terrible due to the ice and huge mining and logging trucks destroying them. there's a funny saying... Michigan has 2 seasons - winter and construction.
- it's hardly diverse, pretty much 99% white. and I hate it lol.
- it's incredibly hard to find a job due to Michigan's not so good economy plus the rural area without many businesses to even apply at.
- the "Yooper" culture and stereotype is incredibly embarrassing (outhouse races, deer season being considered a holiday by the schools, drinking beer in the woods... you get the idea. rent the movie 'Escanaba in Da Moonlight' to see more).
- in the summer it can get very humid and buggy. I've been to Florida a few times and they have barely any bugs compared to here.
- our weather is totally strange due to Lake Superior
- everyone thinks we don't even exist and that we're part of Canada and I've even seen quite a few maps that didn't include the UP of Michigan. Michigan's shaped like a mitten right? wrong! there's an entire mass of land to the north people forget about! it's 1/3 of the land of Michigan but only includes 3% of the population, but still! we're here! lol
- hardly any opportunities for careers I'm interested in. ETC ETC!

only good things I can say is that our water tastes better than anywhere I've ever traveled (don't know how everyone survives on that pool water on tap lol), there's no pollution, and that there isn't bad traffic most of the time.

oh but I get free college at the local school so I'd be stupid to move away... *sigh* can't wait until I can ESCAPE! haha

Then move to Ohio and become a mall shopper.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 PM

163 posts, read 378,134 times
In Omaha at the moment. I'm really not a fan of this city, or any of the Midwest I've experienced. I used to be really angry about it, and pin a lot of my anger on the city, which honestly is just kind of crappy. No place is as terrible as we like to make it sound. I still can't wait to leave, not sure where we'll go yet, but I'm remaining positive about the whole situation. I guess that describes it best, I'm not a fan of here. There are certain qualities I hate about the city, but it's not worth getting furious over the city. Especially with a light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 07-06-2011, 07:57 PM

55 posts, read 163,679 times
Des Moines, Iowa.

I have traveled all around the US and have come to realize that I hate it here. Rude people, agressive drivers, no decent place to shop or eat (chain after chain after chain after chain) and most people are very unaware about anything that happens outside of Iowa, unless they watch the world or national news.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:28 PM

299 posts, read 645,325 times
Quote:
Stuck in Arkansas- I win.
If you're referring to the Little Rock / Benton area, Then I agree with you. I had the misfortune of living in that area and glad I left that dirty town without ever looking back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.