Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 01:05 PM

414 posts, read 1,010,687 times

Advertisements

I have posted several times (on different topics) so I'm hoping that with this thread I can get some good answers from people who can give some really good advice. So please, if you can answer my question, my husband and I would be very happy.

My husband is currently teaching at a small school in Ohio and making and we are looking for a change within a year. We basically decided that we are willing to move anywhere and he will most likely be applying to all 50 states. (when I say anywhere, I mean anywhere!) We just have to have better salaries and teaching opportunities. So in what states are in need of teachers? I already know the Northern/Midwestern states are not needing teachers since that is where we live now. We are young and up for anywhere really.

Please let me know your states current teaching opportunities as well as the positives and negatives of the location. We are curious as to average salary, cost of living, safety, local activities etc. Again, we are up for anything and really need some feedback, no sugar coating, b/c we haven't lived anywhere but Ohio and want the facts...good and bad...thanks in advance. I hope we get some good ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2008, 01:41 PM

518 posts, read 2,533,453 times
not to be nosy, but what is he making now? I would think that Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania and the New England states would have higher teacher salaries than most of the country, especially southern states. In many southern states, starting salaries are under 30,000. Here in PA, several school districts, even some rural districts have starting teaching salaries around 45,000.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:04 PM

8,428 posts, read 7,434,346 times
Pinetar10, Michigan does have higher teacher salaries. Thing is that no one's hiring teachers in Michigan right now.

Old 09-19-2008, 02:32 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,880,909 times
Yeah, we have good Teaching wages and an over abundance of Teachers waiting for an opening. Every single teachers aide in the school district I know have their teaching certificates and are waiting for an opening so they can be hired on as a Teacher and not as an Aide, bus attendant, lunch room monitor, etc....

Old 09-19-2008, 03:47 PM

That is a lot of the problem to. Part of it is the district he's in right now...but there just aren't many available jobs.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:08 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,844,142 times
Just put his resume out there and see what bites.

I hear that inner cities have a hard time hiring teachers because the city schools often are not good and can be dangerous.

Also, what is he qualified to teach? Just wondering.

Old 09-19-2008, 04:15 PM

He is early childhood (K-3) and I am middle childhood (4-9). All by Ohio's standards of course. Every state can be different.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,844,142 times
My mom teaches Early Childhood Special Ed.

I'm not sure if all states require ECSE.

The pay is okay I guess. I don't really know what it is, though. About average I guess. She's been teaching for about a dozen years. And she's taken a lot of classes to be able to teach to kids this age, especially autistic kids (she has a few every year I think, either autistic or with delays). We live in a small town, so it's pretty cheap to live here. Even then, teaching obviously isn't a job to get rich at.

Do you have any preference where you live? Climate, size of city, anything? I realize you want to be open, but it's good to have some criteria.

My Mom has teaching conferences every year for a few days. She said that there's very few men in her field.

You could try just browsing various cities in Craigslist, though there are maybe more trustworthy sites for posting job resumes.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:48 PM

As far as criteria...we are from a small town so are open to small town or city life. We'd probably like to get away from the midwest for a while. Safety is our biggest concern. Somewhere safe, although living in a city could compromise this, which we realize and would be able to adjust to. Mountains, the coast...we are really looking for something new.

If this helps at all, when my husband first started applying for jobs he talked to people in Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Colorado and Hawaii, just to name a few...we chose to stay in Ohio so I could finish up school and get my degree. So as you can see, many of these states have different climates and lifestyles, but we are truly open to anywhere.

We are young (early 20s) so we are not afraid to take chances. I'm just curious as to the job market for teachers in your home states and what you know about the schools there. Again, I appreciate all answers from any location in the country. We are flexible when it comes to climate and location, so I'm looking for any information!

Thank you for all the replies so far. I look forward to hearing more!

Old 09-20-2008, 02:04 PM

I would also like to add, when you respond, could you please post what state you are from and if you know it's teaching/hiring situations and average salary if possible. If not, as long as I have the state/area I can look up information. THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.